News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

D&D 3.5 Character Background

Started by Draconic Aiur, April 03, 2015, 11:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Draconic Aiur

Ok, so my DM wants me to have a back story for my Kitsune Ninja and I don't even know how to get a good back story. My characters name is Zen Aratashi and he's a lvl 5 ninja from a hidden village of Kitsne's hes a little lazy and has a bravo stupid personality.My character has an item of wonder that can transform him into anything. The DM says the game will start in the jungle and my character will be captured. Any ideas? I'lll except sentences or paragraph game to incite ideas.

stromboli

some quirky behavior and where it came from. Backstory based on why he does certain silly things, like throwing salt over his shoulder for luck. the character may have had a bad experience with females, and that colors his view. Invent a life for your character prior to the present, and build his character based on his prior experiences. Disappointments or triumphs that molded and shaped him. Why he is lazy, what he fails at and what made him into what he is now.

Your back story can also include memories or events he observed that would color events occurring in the present. Build a world for him from his childhood in your imagination and give a wide scope to his past.

English Lit. Creative Writing 201; called fleshing out the character.

Hydra009

What stromboli said.  Build a childhood to now timeline.  Be sure to include physical characteristics, goals/motivations, personality, influences (friends/family/mentors), treasured possessions, chosen profession, etc.

If you're stumped for ideas, just use a generator and take whatever seems like it works.  Or pick and choose whatever strikes your fancy.

Oh, and it's great fun to choose one major phobia and philia.  (For example, a gnomish bard who loves cats but fears machines)

trdsf

What they said, though you've given yourself a couple hooks to work with already -- why is he lazy?  Where does the 'bravo stupid' come from?  Where'd he get the transformation item?  Do any two (or all three) of those have anything to do with each other?
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan