Can You Say "Sodomite Suppression Act?"

Started by stromboli, March 02, 2015, 11:14:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_antithesis

"God's just wrath."

Meh.

It's just god's wrath.

Small children throw temper tantrums all the time.

Rob4you

I just read about this today, and I only want to say that I absolutely abhor what this man is trying to do, how could he do that? I mean, a lawyer! You would think that with all the education they receive about the history classes and subjects about the Human Rights, the Constitution, etc., at least he would be realistic, but it seems that this religious zealot is so brainwashed that he can’t even conceive that this absurd law would not pass, even if he gets the signatures.  :eek: :sad2:

I think that is amazing that people like that can exist in a country as developed as the United States.   :sad2:
"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring". Carl Sagan

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence". Carl Sagan

"What I\'m saying is, if God wanted to send us a message, and ancient writings were the only way he could think of doing it, he could have done a better job". Carl Sagan

Green Bottle

God doesnt exist, but if he did id tell him to ''Fuck Off''

Atheon

I hope that this case serves as evidence of the sheer folly of allowing state constitutions to be passed by simple-majority referendum. Amending a constitution should be hard, and should be impossible when the proposed amendment curtails rights. But California makes tyranny of the majority easy.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Brian37

They are fucked. SCOTUS has already ruled on non vaginal sex acts. But if these idiots want to go there do they men only gay sex because I bet these same GOP morons have gotten blowjobs and done anal themselves.

The only thing about sex is age and consent.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Jason Harvestdancer

Aside from the fact that this won't actually make it to the ballot ...

Is there any evidence that this wasn't filed specifically to discredit the initiative process?
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Solitary on March 03, 2015, 03:21:42 PM
This bugs me, is that buggery?  :wall:  :fU: Solitary
No. Buggery is the act of having sexual relations with bugs.. KILL THE BUG FUCKERS!
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Solitary

Thank you! Ole one of infinite knowledge and wisdom like a god.  :pidu: :kidra:
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Ace101

Wonder how long before he pulls a "Ted Haggart"?

doorknob

Yeah like this doesn't break that separation of church and state. Or freedom of speech. Sure this bill will get passed.

But in the weird reality where it does get passed I say the peasants revolt! Oh lets revolt any way.

trdsf

And now, the totally predictable disbarment action begins:

Quote(California State Senator Ricardo) Lara said that McLaughlin's measure isn't just offensive, but an actual violation of the California bar's code of conduct for attorneys. "Qualification to become a licensed attorney not only includes educational requirements and an examination, but also requires demonstrated 'good moral character,'" Lara said. "The state bar's admissions rules on good moral character include that those seeking admission to the bar demonstrate respect and obedience for the law, and respect for the rights of others and the judicial process." Rule 2-400 of the California Bar Association Code prohibits licensed practitioners from discriminating on the basis of sexual orientation when rendering legal services, Lara pointed out. The senator also said that he would look into passing legislation barring discriminatory or hate speech-oriented measures from being allowed on future state ballots.

Hell of a way to resign from being a lawyer... maybe he can go practice in Uganda.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan