News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Atheist Celebrities

Started by Sleeper, March 03, 2013, 10:26:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

surly74

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"But I don't go out looking for support from total strangers.  If someone else needs that support in order to feel good about <insert deep concern here>, that's good for them, I suppose.  Truth doesn't care how many A-listers subscribe to it.  Why should anyone else?

problem is alot of people care about celebrities and their views. otherwise there wouldn't be sites like the one found that lists celebrity atheists.
God bless those Pagans
--
Homer Simpson

Johan

People might care about the personal lives of celebrities, but Johan doesn't and doesn't consider those who do to have an abundance of intellectual capacity.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

MilitantAtheist

You can add Bryan Adams to the list.

I'm pretty sure Bruce Springsteen is an agnostic despite the references to religion in a lot of his songs and performances.
If God\'s real, he sure as hell ain\'t a Red Sox fan.

surly74

Quote from: "Johan"People might care about the personal lives of celebrities, but Johan doesn't and doesn't consider those who do to have an abundance of intellectual capacity.

just another way to think you are smarter huh?
God bless those Pagans
--
Homer Simpson

Colanth

Quote from: "Alaric I"Stromboli, Trey Parker I believe identifies himself as agnostic.  He said that atheists are the funniest of all because he doesn't believe in the Big Bang, and believes that to be the biggest part of being atheist.
Trey Parker believes in God.  Not in the strict Christian sense (like many people who don't know the difference between god and God, he claims to believe in the Christian god but to not be a Christian), but he's a theist, not an atheist.  Who - by his assertion that belief in the Big Bang (which is incontestable) is the biggest part of being an atheist, when in reality the Big Bang has nothing to do with religion - proves that he knows very little, if anything, about atheism.  (A god could have created an expanding universe.)
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Johan

Quote from: "surly74"
Quote from: "Johan"People might care about the personal lives of celebrities, but Johan doesn't and doesn't consider those who do to have an abundance of intellectual capacity.

Nope. Just another way to say that I think giving a shit about what kind a toothpaste some schmuck uses simply because that schmuck happens to be a well known actor or musician is fucking stupid.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

MilitantAtheist

Quote from: "Johan"
Quote from: "surly74"

Nope. Just another way to say that I think giving a shit about what kind a toothpaste some schmuck uses simply because that schmuck happens to be a well known actor or musician is fucking stupid.
Well then stay the hell out of the thread if it's so fucking stupid. Now, that's a marvelous idea isn't it?
If God\'s real, he sure as hell ain\'t a Red Sox fan.

mnmelt

I have a mild curiosity in celebs doings... Sometimes a little frivolous distraction is nice..
It certainly doesnt make me stupid.. Or stunt my intellectual capacity..!!!
I'm mildly insulted...LOL

In all seriousness ... Its just fucking trivia..!! Get over it.!!!
Jesus loves me but I still make him wear a condom

Johan

Quote from: "mnmelt"I have a mild curiosity in celebs doings... Sometimes a little frivolous distraction is nice..

Yeah I guess you're right. Its just one of those things that people do which I will probably never understand. I'm the same way with the British fascination of the royals. My Brit friends try to explain it to me but I just don't get it. Which I suppose says more about me than it does about them.

And my words were pretty harsh so I should probably clarify a bit. A mild curiosity is not really what I was talking about in my posts above. I think I was thinking more of the people who tend to obsess over what celebrities do and think and say as though the words thoughts and actions of celebrities are as relevant or even more relevant than the words thoughts or actions of the people you actually know and share your life with.

mnmelt

Quote from: "Johan"
Quote from: "mnmelt"I have a mild curiosity in celebs doings... Sometimes a little frivolous distraction is nice..

Yeah I guess you're right. Its just one of those things that people do which I will probably never understand. I'm the same way with the British fascination of the royals. My Brit friends try to explain it to me but I just don't get it. Which I suppose says more about me than it does about them.

And my words were pretty harsh so I should probably clarify a bit. A mild curiosity is not really what I was talking about in my posts above. I think I was thinking more of the people who tend to obsess over what celebrities do and think and say as though the words thoughts and actions of celebrities are as relevant or even more relevant than the words thoughts or actions of the people you actually know and share your life with.

Point is.. the origional post was Mild curiosity/Trivia... and it some how got blown up into a war of who's life is more meaningful because they dont choose to interest themselves with trivia.. Kinda silly dont ya think??

Sleeper

Quote from: "Johan"I think I was thinking more of the people who tend to obsess over what celebrities do and think and say as though the words thoughts and actions of celebrities are as relevant or even more relevant than the words thoughts or actions of the people you actually know and share your life with.
I understand and I feel the same way. Perhaps in the future you'll try to save the harsh words (which really weren't all that harsh) for the people who are actually doing the above described - which is no one here.
Because LaPlace still holds sway.

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "Shiranu"So vapid y'all feel the need to whine and moan about the fact that someone was simply curious about someone's religious views... and turn a non-issue into to some stupid debate...

No one is "revering celebrities", no one is asking so they can feel more justified in their beliefs... its just a matter of,"Huh... That's cool.".

Although I would argue recognized celebrities of any ideal or orientation ARE useful because it makes those positions more socially recognized and accepted (like it or not), that is not what this thread is about.

I didn't realize dissent was held to be  so obnoxious here.  

Sorry I got this one wrong.  I'll try and toe the line henceforth.  Just drop me a clue or two as to what the approved answer is, 'kay?
<insert witty aphorism here>

mnmelt

I sure dont mind dissent...!!!

Not to fond of obnoxious dissent though... :-D