I Don't Think I'll Be Going To India Any Time Soon.

Started by Solitary, March 01, 2015, 03:01:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solitary

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/afp/article-2974512/Bangladeshis-pay-tribute-US-blogger-killed-machete-attack.html

Hundreds of Bangladeshis demanded justice on Sunday for the killers of an atheist blogger hacked to death with machetes, as they gathered to pay tribute to the critic of religious extremism.

Avijit Roy, an US citizen of Bangladeshi origin, was killed by unknown attackers on Thursday night. He had received numerous death threats from Islamist militant groups.

More than 1,000 mourners gathered to pay respects and lay wreaths on Roy's coffin which has been placed inside Dhaka University, a bastion of secularism and free speech in the Muslim-majority nation.

"It's a heinous murder. My question is, why did it take place?" Kamal Hossain, the architect of Bangladesh's secular constitution, told reporters as Roy's father stood by.

"Avijit was killed because of his writing. By killing him, the killers have torn apart our constitution," he said.

Protesters also gathered at the spot where Roy was killed inside the university's sprawling campus, demanding the immediate arrest of his attackers.

The attack on Roy, founder of the Mukto-Mona (Free-mind) blog, as he left a book fair also seriously injured his wife.

Roy is the second Bangladeshi atheist blogger to have been murdered in two years and the fourth writer to have been attacked since 2004.

No one has yet claimed responsibility for the attack, which has shocked many in a country already reeling from weeks of violent political protest.

Police have launched an investigation and recovered the machetes used in the attack, which they compared to a fatal assault on atheist blogger Ahmed Rajib Haider in 2013.

Cultural activists, left-wing students, bloggers and members of secular groups were among those who came to honour the slain author, whose anti-religion books and blogs infuriated Bangladesh's hardline Islamist groups.

The United States has condemned the murder as a "shocking act of violence".

Ajoy Roy stood alongside his son's coffin as mourners filed past.

He reiterated that Islamist militants were responsible for his son's death, but also blamed the government for failing to protect him despite repeated threats on his life.

"I am speechless at this moment of mourning. When the fundamentalists threatened, I informed the Inspector General of Police and Deputy Inspector General of Police," Ajoy Roy said.

"This murder has proved their utter failure." Ironically The atheist was right about religious extremism, and they proved him to be right. Fuck all the religions! Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Atheon

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

MagetheEntertainer

Wow and I thought India was one of the better countries over there in regards to religious (or non religious) tolerance, looks like my trip to the east will be even shorter now.

Solitary

Quote from: Atheon on March 01, 2015, 03:22:28 PM
Bangladesh, not India.
Thank you Atheon! I stand corrected.

Bangladesh (/bÉ'ːŋlÉ'ːdɛʃ/; Listeni/ËŒbæŋɡləˈdæʃ/; বাà¦,লাদেশ, pronounced: [ˈbaÅ‹lad̪eʃ] ( listen), lit. "The land of Bengal"), officially the People's Republic of Bangladesh (গণপ্রজাতন্ত্রী বাà¦,লাদেশ Gônôprôjatôntri Bangladesh), is a country in South Asia; and is bordered by India to its west, north and east; Burma to its southeast and separated from Nepal and Bhutan by the Chicken’s Neck corridor. To its south, it faces the Bay of Bengal. Bangladesh is the world's eighth-most populous country, with over 160 million people, and among the most densely populated countries. It forms part of the ethno-linguistic region of Bengal, along with the neighbouring Indian states of West Bengal and Tripura.

The present-day borders of Bangladesh took shape during the Partition of Bengal and British India in 1947, when the region used to be known as East Pakistan, as a part of the newly formed state of Pakistan. It was separated from West Pakistan by 1,400 km of Indian territory. Due to political exclusion, ethnic and linguistic discrimination and economic neglect by the politically dominant western wing, nationalism, popular agitation and civil disobedience led to the Bangladesh Liberation War and independence in 1971. After independence, the new state endured poverty, famine, political turmoil and military coups. The restoration of democracy in 1991 has been followed by relative calm and economic progress. In 2014, the Bangladeshi general election was boycotted by major opposition parties, resulting in a parliament and government dominated by the Awami League and its smaller coalition partners.

Bangladesh is a unitary parliamentary republic with an elected parliament called the Jatiyo Sangshad. The native Bengalis form the country's largest ethnic group, along with indigenous peoples in northern and southeastern districts. Geographically, the country is dominated by the fertile Bengal delta, the world's largest delta. This also gives Bangladesh a unique name tag "The land of rivers".

Bangladesh is a Next Eleven emerging economy. It has achieved significant strides in human and social development since independence, including in progress in gender equity, universal primary education, food production, health and population control. However, Bangladesh continues to face numerous political, economic, social and environmental challenges, including political instability, corruption, poverty, overpopulation and climate change.

The country is a founding member of SAARC, the Developing 8 Countries and BIMSTEC. It contributes one of the largest peacekeeping forces to the United Nations. It is a member of the Commonwealth of Nations, the Organization of Islamic Cooperation and the Non-Aligned Movement.
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.