Another Bigoted Opinion Supported By the Buybull.

Started by Solitary, February 28, 2015, 12:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solitary

The Washington Post

Erskine College in Due West, South Carolina, describes itself as a “liberal arts” institution, but as far as that freedom applies to the hearts and minds of its students, it seems limited. In response to two male athletes on its volleyball team coming out in an article published on OutSports.com last year, the college, which is aligned with the Associate Reformed Presbyterian tradition, released a strongly worded denouncement of homosexuality on campus that many read to be a behavioral ban. The document, titled “Statement on Human Sexuality” was submitted by the Student Services and Athletic Committee and adopted by the board of trustees last Friday. It reads:

“We believe the Bible teaches that monogamous marriage between a man and a woman is God’s intended design for humanity and that sexual intimacy has its proper place only within the context of marriage.

The statement will now be added to the school’s official manuals and used to further make procedural rulings, according to an article posted to Erskine’s official Web site on Thursday.

It is unclear how the newly adopted statement will affect student life going forward, however, Erskine said in a followup statement on Friday that the new language “does not ‘ban’ any individual or class of individuals from attending Erskine.” It will, however, make students who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender (LGBT), including Juan Varona, who along with Drew Davis, was one of the two volleyball players who came out last year, feel unwelcome and disappointed.

“The release of this statement makes me disappointed because I have never received anything but kind treatment from everyone at this school, and my sexual orientation is no secret. So it took me by surprise,” Varona said via OutSports.com.

“I understand the religious stand on adultery, which is part of the Ten Commandments in the Bible, and that would apply to heterosexual and homosexual people. But when I saw the mention of sexual orientation being an issue, it just made me sad and worried for other gay people who might be struggling with confidence to come out,” he added.

Reaction from those outside the college has been mostly negative, as well, with many taking to Twitter to denounce what they see as a step in the wrong direction in a state that has already legalized gay marriage.

Next up: Erskine bans Galileo. Erskine, After 2 Athletes Come Out, Bans Gay Sexuality @insidehighered https://t.co/7wT5vMawZY

Apparently Erskine College is just a pseudonym for Westboro Baptist Church.

Hey Erskine College, you’re an embarrassment to South Carolina. http://t.co/KiEl9Qir4Q

If you cherry pick the bible to keep gay people out or marginalized then yes you are a bigot. http://t.co/F5SKI8AFWp

Erskine’s official statements may seem shocking in the context of modern America, but it is hardly imaginative. Such “positions” on homosexuality already exist on several other conservative Christian college campuses in the United States, including Baylor University. WNBA star Brittney Griner, who recently got engaged to fellow WNBA star Glory Johnson, attended the private Baptist institution from 2009 to 2013 and recalls how the policy affected her.

“When I was at Baylor, I wasn’t fully happy because I couldn’t be all the way out,” Griner told ESPN’s Kate Fagan in 2013.

The policy against homosexuality on the Waco, Tex., campus is so strict that, according to ESPN’s profile of Griner, “within her first few weeks at Baylor, Griner was asked by a school official to delete a tweet to an ex-girlfriend. Soon enough, she found herself living in a glass closet.”

Like Griner, however, students of every sexual orientation were and likely continue to be upset by the policy. In 2013, the Student Senate passed the Sexual Misconduct Policy Non-Discrimination Act, which demanded “homosexual acts” in the current policy be replaced by the phrase “nonmarital consensual deviate sexual intercourse,” the Waco Tribune reports. The bill was eventually vetoed by the university’s student body president at the time, however.

In some parts of the country, college accreditation boards are demanding conservative Christian colleges revise what they believe to be discriminatory policies and positions. The New England Associations of Schools and Colleges, for example, instructed Gordon College, a Christian institution in Wenham, Mass., to review its official stance on homosexuality last September, the Boston Business Journal reports. The board gave Gordon’s administration a year to provide justification for “what the commission sees is a policy that may be inconsistent with the commission’s standards,” NEASC’s president Barbara Brittingham told the Business Journal.
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Mermaid

A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

ApostateLois

So, when Adam screwed his own sisters and/or his mother in order to continue the human race, was that also God's plan for the ideal marriage? How about when numerous biblical leaders had multiple wives and concubines? Or when God ordered the men to kill every married woman but to keep the little virgin girls as the spoils of war? I suppose THAT is the ideal relationship, too, or else God would have made laws against it. Christians are morons if they think marriage is anything other than a man-made institution enforced by the priesthood to control who gets to have sex with whom.
"Now we see through a glass dumbly." ~Crow, MST3K #903, "Puma Man"

stromboli

Love the information age. Can't hide the bigotry any more.

Munch

Quote from: ApostateLois on March 05, 2015, 01:42:33 PM
So, when Adam screwed his own sisters and/or his mother in order to continue the human race, was that also God's plan for the ideal marriage?

I love asking Christians that question or to that aspect of the bible. If adam and eve were the first humans, and they were banished from the garden, they either committed incest with their own children, or, as some claim they found people outside the garden, this means that god is either a sick cunt for wanting incest to happen, or a pathological liar because he already had a bunch of other people lined up.

So what is it, an incestuous voyeur, or puppeteering liar?
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin