Einstein Or Theological Fairytales, who do you believe?

Started by Solitary, January 24, 2015, 10:06:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solitary

https://mail.google.com/mail/h/1rpafhrx2ck04/?&th=14b1833242d06df0&v=c

Can natural scientists believe in the supernatural? Religious and theistic beliefs are lowest in the natural sciences like biology and physics, which suggests that there is indeed a contradiction here. Belief in supernatural causation would appear to contradict the methodological naturalism which is the foundation of the natural sciences. Nevertheless, some scientists manage to compartmentalize their beliefs so well that they maintain supernatural religion at home and naturalism on the job.

Albert Einstein didn't believe that these two positions should be held by natural scientists. In Science and Religion (1941), he argued that natural scientists cannot legitimately believe in the reality of supernatural causes behind natural events:

The more a man is imbued with the ordered regularity of all events the firmer becomes his conviction that there is no room left by the side of this ordered regularity for causes of a different nature. For him neither the rule of human nor the rule of divine will exist as an independent cause of natural events.

To be sure, the doctrine of a personal God interfering with the natural events could never be refuted, in the real sense, by science, for this doctrine can always take refuge in those domains in which scientific knowledge has not yet been able to set foot. But I am persuaded that such behavior on the part of the representatives of religion would not only be unworthy but also fatal.

For a doctrine which is able to maintain itself not in clear light but only in the dark, will of necessity lose its effect on mankind, with incalculable harm to human progress.

I can hear the theist now say this is not logical because Einstein was not a theologian. As if anyone can be an expert on the supernatural that shows any evidence it exists accept in the minds of mankind. This is only an opinion of the smartest man we've had---I'll take his word and opinion before supernatural causes, and so-called experts on theology about reality. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

stromboli

It goes back to a statement I made on here some time ago; in the minds of theists, a man with a 4 year degree in theology trumps a man with a doctorate in a specific science, i.e. Paleontology, microbiology, etc. Simply by quoting the bible they can, in their minds, win an argument. All that rational thinkin' shit don't apply.

The key word to me is verifiable. When everybody gets that concept, that something not verifiable should be viewed with suspicion, then we have a basis for common understanding.

Light Craftsman

Quote from: stromboli on January 24, 2015, 11:05:03 AMThe key word to me is verifiable. When everybody gets that concept, that something not verifiable should be viewed with suspicion, then we have a basis for common understanding.
As David Hume said, "A wise man apportions his belief to the evidence."
You cannot have a rational discussion with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

aitm

As always, even intelligence is no match for fear. The fear of death cannot simply be acknowledged and dismissed due to ones education. Fear does not operate that way. Fear can certainly be rational and helpful in many cases but as we all know unfounded fear cannot easily be dismissed as "unfounded" to those with the fear. It matters not a whit how smart one is, fear can easily overwhelm intellect.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

SGOS

Quote from: stromboli on January 24, 2015, 11:05:03 AM
It goes back to a statement I made on here some time ago; in the minds of theists, a man with a 4 year degree in theology trumps a man with a doctorate in a specific science, i.e. Paleontology, microbiology, etc. Simply by quoting the bible they can, in their minds, win an argument. All that rational thinkin' shit don't apply.

The key word to me is verifiable. When everybody gets that concept, that something not verifiable should be viewed with suspicion, then we have a basis for common understanding.

Religion lives, actually thrives, in a stew of incomprehensible logical confusion.  Just as religion and science cannot intersect, religion and logic cannot intersect.

Solitary

There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

AllPurposeAtheist

Yeah, but Einstein never put a nickel under my pillow for a lost tooth..:think:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

SNP1

"My only agenda, if one can call it that, is the pursuit of truth" ~AoSS

Unbeliever

Methodological naturalism is a must for the exploration of the natural world, because as soon as any supernatural explanation is assumed for a thing, it's as if we've given up on ever truly understanding that thing.

But people as people and not as scientists may still harbor some wishful thinking that death is not the end.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman