News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

WTF Georgia

Started by MagetheEntertainer, February 21, 2015, 01:24:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MagetheEntertainer

The state I live in never ceases to disappoint me, a public Elementary school teacher recently punished an Atheist student for not participating in class led prayer, Another teacher later took the kids entire recess to tell him about God and Jesus (most of what she told him wasn't even accurate according to scripture by the way) and she then ended the discussion by telling the kid not to listen to his mother because shes and Atheist and a bad Person.  WTF GEORGIA!!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZUe1ezSWqY

Light Craftsman

Class led prayer? I hope the ACLU gets all over this.

My son had a kindergarten teacher proselytizing the class. When he told me about it I immediately went to the district superintendent and had a chat. The teacher kept her religious views to herself after that.
You cannot have a rational discussion with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Solitary

Georgia, Where my buddies and I spent two weeks behind bars for going one mile over a 14 MPH speed limit in the middle of nowhere, having to eat fried chicken and grits for every meal, that cost us all $300 dollars a piece to get out, back in 1957. This would be about $3,000+ a piece now. Idiots!  Good for you Light Craftsman! Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Mermaid

Sounds like the teacher acted unethically but I am not sure it's fair to blame the entire state of Georgia.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Solitary

Quote from: Mermaid on February 21, 2015, 02:25:06 PM
Sounds like the teacher acted unethically but I am not sure it's fair to blame the entire state of Georgia.
The State of Georgia allows it, why shouldn't they be blamed, it's illegal by Federal mandate? Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Mermaid

Do they allow it? Maybe I missed that piece of the story.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

SGOS

Let me get this straight.  The principal said, "Instead of having to sit there for the prayer, the students would be sent out of class."???  Why not just follow the law and not allow teachers to hold prayer sessions in class?

Munch

Quote from: SGOS on February 21, 2015, 02:45:15 PM
Let me get this straight.  The principal said, "Instead of having to sit there for the prayer, the students would be sent out of class."???  Why not just follow the law and not allow teachers to hold prayer sessions in class?

I think because as mage said, Georgia thinks itself above the law within its own state.

Its a shame how america is so big state by state you can almost picket off the fucktards from the sane ones, just wish all the rational people were given homes in states that are rational themselves and leave the nutjobs in places like texas and georgia to swarm to (then trapping them inside those states with grid fencing)
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Aletheia

Quote from: Munch on February 21, 2015, 08:28:53 PM
I think because as mage said, Georgia thinks itself above the law within its own state.

Its a shame how america is so big state by state you can almost picket off the fucktards from the sane ones, just wish all the rational people were given homes in states that are rational themselves and leave the nutjobs in places like texas and georgia to swarm to (then trapping them inside those states with grid fencing)

Just give me a chance to move out of Texas before you do that. ;)
Quote from: Jakenessif you believe in the supernatural, you do not understand modern science. Period.

FinalSomnia

I live in Georgia. I'm a truck driver now, and to be honest I get hit up with religious crap more often in Mississippi and Alabama than I do here. That being said, I don't find it terribly out of sorts to hear that originating from the peach state.

As for it being all religious goobers here... Myself, my two best friends, and the girl I'm dating are all atheists that just sort of managed to find each other without being chased by pitchforks and torches.
Heaven is no more than a carrot on a string at the end of a tunnel; Hell is no more than a gunbarrel at the back of your head.  When we are good people for the sake of being good people, we\'ll have no further use for religion.

AllPurposeAtheist

Mississippi by comparison is working hard to make Georgia look downright smart..
QuoteMississippi lawmakers are once again tackling the big issues in the state. The highest poverty rate of any state in the country? Hahahaha ... no. The second-highest high school dropout rate in the country? No, no. The second-highest teen pregnancy rate in the country? Awww, hell no.

What is more pressing than extreme poverty? Well, the Mississippi House did pass a bill (HB 132), nicknamed the "Jesus Take the Wheel Act", that would exempt churches from commercial driver's license requirements:

"This just allows small churches, some don't have people with commercial licenses at all, and they can pick a person to drive the bus," said state Rep. Robert Johnson III, D-Natchez, who chairs the Transportation Committee which had passed the bill earlier in the session.

Current law requires CDL-certified drivers for any vehicle transporting more than 16 passengers, including the driver. The bill would amend that law to exempt church buses designed to carry 30 passengers or less.

To be clear, we aren't talking about extended passenger vans. Thirty-passenger buses, like the one pictured below, are much larger than vans and all other business and schools would still have to have a CDL license to operate such a vehicle.
Since the exemption would also include buses and large transport vehicles carry children to and from events, not everyone is happy about the exemption:

When contacted by The Clarion-Ledger, longtime CDL-certified driver Troy Coll of Hattiesburg called the measure potentially dangerous.

"I think this bill is trading the safety of everyone on the road for the convenience of those operating church vehicles," Coll said. "Since the bill covers vehicles up to 30 passengers, we're not just talking vans with extra rows of seats â€" these are buses, with long frames and much larger blind spots than passenger vehicles."
I'm thinking I should be allowed to drive as drunk as I can in Mississippi and if I run into a church bus and kill everyone aboard just say 'Jesus took the wheel. Not my fault he turned water into wine.'
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

FinalSomnia

I have a CDL (since, like I said before, I drive a truck) and most of the stuff I have to do like pre-trip inspections, knowledge of systems, and vehicle operation is also applicable to people that drive a bus that big. To skip over that is downright fucking dangerous. It's gonna end up being more like the "Jesus Take The Wheelchair Act."
Heaven is no more than a carrot on a string at the end of a tunnel; Hell is no more than a gunbarrel at the back of your head.  When we are good people for the sake of being good people, we\'ll have no further use for religion.

cmallen

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on February 22, 2015, 07:44:42 PM
Mississippi by comparison is working hard to make Georgia look downright smart..

That is a disturbing article.  It's bad enough they are tax exempt.

On another note, don't y'all forget to give Alabama some love while you're in the neighborhood:

http://www.npr.org/2015/02/09/384852553/alabama-chief-justice-tells-probate-judges-to-refuse-same-sex-marriage-licenses

Unfortunately I've lived in all three states... And Florida and Louisiana.  There's something in the water down there.
I once tried walking by faith, but I kept tripping over shit.

MagetheEntertainer

Quote from: Mermaid on February 21, 2015, 02:35:41 PM
Do they allow it? Maybe I missed that piece of the story.

I don't think its necessarily on the books that they allow it, but they arn't doing anything about it, I also forgot to mention that the teacher that told the kid about Jesus told Jaime not to listen to his mother because she's an Atheist and doesn't know anything, so yea, indoctrination plus encouraging young kids not to listen to their parents, who are probably the only sane adults in their life.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Solitary on February 21, 2015, 02:19:37 PM
Georgia, Where my buddies and I spent two weeks behind bars for going one mile over a 14 MPH speed limit in the middle of nowhere, having to eat fried chicken and grits for every meal, that cost us all $300 dollars a piece to get out, back in 1957. This would be about $3,000+ a piece now. Idiots!  Good for you Light Craftsman! Solitary

Fried chicken and grits?!

Food of the gods!
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman