News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The Redundancy of Debate

Started by Contemporary Protestant, February 19, 2015, 07:58:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SNP1

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on February 19, 2015, 07:58:32 PM
Is it just me or do religious debates seem to go on without end. Everyone has another complaint, contradiction, proof, and someone else always has an explanation or refutation. Its obnoxious

Religious debates, unlike many other debates, isn't usually to persuade the debaters. Usually, those that are debating already know enough about the other side that they won't change their minds (that does not mean that there won't be any conversions/deconversions). It is mostly there to persuade those watching/reading the debate, especially the fence sitters. It is also for the debaters to see if they actually know enough about their own position.
"My only agenda, if one can call it that, is the pursuit of truth" ~AoSS

Contemporary Protestant

i was refering to theist atheist

Contemporary Protestant

i say increasingly accurate because the translations have improved

Hydra009

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on February 20, 2015, 12:17:15 PMi say increasingly accurate because the translations have improved
They have simply changed.  I have yet to see a translation of a translation that was better than the source material.

Solitary

Quotei dont agree that belief in God is delusional

Psychiatry: a delusion is a fixed false belief that is resistant to reason or confrontation with actual fact. If you can provide reliable evidence that religion is rational, and deals with facts about God, or gods, then it is a delusional belief whether you believe it or not. Not all religious dogma is irrational or not true, but the belief in a God or gods is without reliable evidence and sound and critical reasoning, and just based on emotional needs and feelings. This doesn't make it not desirable and needed by people, just a false belief. If it brings you comfort to believe in God good, I think we can all agree, unless it brings harm by His teachings in the Testaments that do. We all have our own delusions from ignorance, but they can be good or bad..Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Moloth

Isnt it strange how the definition of 'faith' and 'delusion' are functionally identical...
-=The Believer is Happy; the Skeptic is Wise=-

http://www.moloth.com

Contemporary Protestant

solitary - i see your point, i concede, if delusion is belief without empirical evidence then i am delusional
hydra - the NIV is better than the KJV
and the dead sea scrolls brought translators closer to the original

Moloth

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on February 20, 2015, 12:29:39 PM
solitary - i see your point, i concede, if delusion is belief without empirical evidence then i am delusional

Sounds like someone might be close to taking the Red Pill...
-=The Believer is Happy; the Skeptic is Wise=-

http://www.moloth.com

Solitary

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on February 20, 2015, 12:29:39 PM

How could you or anyone else know what the original is when there is none that exist? Better, yes, but still not the word of God, and still ambiguous to support any belief, including atheism, by picking and choosing, like this that is quoted different in every bible: "I was a child, and thought like a child, and played like a child, but now I am a man, and gave up all childish things." You really need to study it again, and not in Bible class. Solitary

Aroura33

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on February 20, 2015, 11:27:39 AM
that is not the point i am trying to make, i am listening, i see atheists saying christianity is irrational but my question isnt that

my intial question was what evidence is there that religous (generic, sorry i didnt specify) people cant reason or are violent

Hi CP, you seem like a very decent guy.  No one here thinks all religious people are violent, or atheists are all the most intelligent.  The original claim wasn't that religious people are violent, it was "It is Dangerous Bullshit!"  And it is. 

Let me explain why all religion is dangerous.  Because it teaches people to accept things without using their mind to reason things through.  Christians and Muslims can be scientists and intellects (though most who take that route far have a crisis of faith, for good reason too), those that do retain their beleifs must partition them off from the how the rest of the world works, and make special exceptions for these unreasonable beliefs.

It teaches bad mental habits that make you more prone to letting in all sorts of woo.  Faith healing, prion water, homeopathy, right on up to strapping a bomb to a chest and killing people.  If you actively practice a way of thinking that allows in all sorts of nonsense, then you re more likely to fall for other nonsense.  That is dangerous at all levels.

So that is the main reason it is dangerous, I think. 
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy

Solitary

Ditto! And it also allows non productive parasites to prey on the credulity and ignorance of their fellow man and children like the Priests do when no body questions their authority like little children. Solitary

Contemporary Protestant

i would first like to thank you for being kind in delivery of your point, and i think its both thoughtful and valid

i do agree that the bible cant be the literal word of God especially not my bible because its been translated over a few times

i am studying it, independentley, my only conclusions are that apologists talk too much and fundamentalism is wrong

Solitary

So what is left? Seriously, just a belief in God with no reliable evidence. Solitary

Contemporary Protestant

eh, does everything require evidence? like my parents love me and i only have feelings to go off of that

Hydra009

Well, call me strange, but I really do think that asserting that there's some superhuman entity somewhere out there really deserves some sort confirmation beyond mere belief.