News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The Redundancy of Debate

Started by Contemporary Protestant, February 19, 2015, 07:58:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Contemporary Protestant

1. i said increasingly accurate, i mean that the king james is less accurate than the New International Version, biblical contradictions is a different topic

2. prove that religious people cant reason

3. i am still waiting for evidence that religon directly causes people to become violent

Solitary

Are you serious? If you are, you are proving all three questions show religion makes people delusional, hardly what I would call not dangerous, like a man using a wheel chair that is not crippled. Are you crippled and need religion? If so, then what would you be like without it?  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Solitary

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on February 19, 2015, 10:08:31 PM
Yes i am very familiar with world history, and I do not think that any war or atrocity was caused by a single factor. For example I do not think that it is fair to blame German aggression for WWII. There was a multitude of factors at play. I think religion is often used to control people and to justify certain acts, but no, I do not think that religion causes disasters.
What bull shit are you shoveling? You say you are familiar with world history and religion doesn't cause disasters. Ever hear of the Crusades and other religious wars. If German hate for the Jews was not because the Jews killed Christ, German political aggression based on this hate, what was the cause? You admit religion is often (? More like always.) used to control people and justify certain acts, but that doesn't cause disasters. You are a Christian apologists that isn't talking to the choir. Solitary

Contemporary Protestant

i am only questioning the statement that religion is dangerous, i dont see how my personal life is relevant, in all honesty, i dont know what i would like if not religious, i figure my personality would remain the same, but the people i associate with would be different

i dont see how asking for evidence for the statements made by Mike CL makes me delusional

to say that genocide and war is caused soley by a single religion is absurd

leo

Christians are delusional people that can't reason. The main christian dogmas are nonsense yet christians believe it and in many cases ignore the evidence that contradict their beliefs. I don't think you are paying attention. In this site christians beliefs are refuted many times. Also the dark side of religion is discussed very often in the threads.
Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

Contemporary Protestant

that is not the point i am trying to make, i am listening, i see atheists saying christianity is irrational but my question isnt that

my intial question was what evidence is there that religous (generic, sorry i didnt specify) people cant reason or are violent

leo

Again you aren't paying attention about the topics in this site. Infact I don't see the point of this thread. If you were paying attention all this years visiting the site , you wouldn't posted this thread.

Solitary

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on February 20, 2015, 11:10:41 AM
i am only questioning the statement that religion is dangerous, i dont see how my personal life is relevant, in all honesty, i dont know what i would like if not religious, i figure my personality would remain the same, but the people i associate with would be different

i dont see how asking for evidence for the statements made by Mike CL makes me delusional

to say that genocide and war is caused soley by a single religion is absurd
Don't put words in my mouth, I never said a single religion, and I never said Mike CL made you delusional, your religion does if you believe in a magic man in the sky that there is not a single shred of reliable evidence He exists. Would you associate with gays and lesbians? Who said you personal life is relevant? But it is isn't, if your beliefs are based on religious dogma that is from pick and choose, it is still relevant isn't? You are conflicted with your personal beliefs based on Scripture that are in conflict with ones that are the polar opposite, and trying to support you religion that is insane with it's dogma, and your personal beliefs which are noble and good. Solitary

leo

You can also visit the thinking atheist site and atheist forums org.  Many threads exists in those forums debunking christianity and other religions.

Contemporary Protestant

i do associate with gays and lesbians, my best friend is a lesbian and my other good friend is bisexual

i dont agree that belief in God is delusional

i am sorry if i put words in your mouth, that was not my intention

my only point is that saying religions are inherently delusional and violent is incorrect, i would agree that specific groups are delusional and violent

leo

Again you aren't paying attention. Christianity is already  debunked all this years in many threads. The illogical mainstream christians dogmas  are already refuted by some members in this site. Debating christians is pointless for the single reason that christians ignore the evidence that contradicts their beliefs.

Solitary

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on February 20, 2015, 11:27:39 AM
that is not the point i am trying to make, i am listening, i see atheists saying christianity is irrational but my question isnt that

my intial question was what evidence is there that religous (generic, sorry i didnt specify) people cant reason or are violent
People that are religious believe there is a magic man in the sky that is real without any reliable evidence shows they can't reason very well when it comes to delusional beliefs, it doesn't mean they can't in other areas of their life. I have two religious friends that reason very well in other areas, and one is even an Engineering Physicists. Of course not every religious person is violent, just like every insane person is, but religion and the bible are used to justify every imaginable atrocity, just like the delusion of the insane. You seem to be what people call a "good" Christian, and I admire you for that, but it has nothing to do with your religion that you are, or an atheist if he is good, it is from your reasoning skills knowing that what you don't want done to you, you shouldn't do to others. This is still pick and choose from religious dogma that is reasonable to support your own feelings.  Solitary

Contemporary Protestant

i am not asserting christianity is true

i do not see how the alleged debunking is relevant when i am not asserting christianity is true

thank you solitary

i can agree that christianity has been involved in atrocities

leo

But the christians vs atheist debates are  mostly about the truth of christians dogmas. So again I don't see the point of this thread.

Hydra009

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on February 20, 2015, 11:27:39 AMmy intial question was what evidence is there that religous (generic, sorry i didnt specify) people cant reason
Ironically, this thread is exhibit #1.  Increasingly accurate, lol.

Exhibit #2 would be the ongoing Present Evidence Here II thread (and its ancestor if it were not lost to the ravages of time).  If you come across anything approaching a rational point from the religious side, let me know.

Quoteor are violent
This requires only a glance at a newspaper, but a more methodical approach is preferred.  Statistically, it is true that religiosity is correlated with violence and a whole range of societal ills.  If I may venture a guess it might have something to do with the sanguinary predilections of the "good" people/deity of the Good Book.