News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The Redundancy of Debate

Started by Contemporary Protestant, February 19, 2015, 07:58:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Contemporary Protestant

Is it just me or do religious debates seem to go on without end. Everyone has another complaint, contradiction, proof, and someone else always has an explanation or refutation. Its obnoxious

Munch

It can be, but sadly that's what the conflicts, arguments and debates steam from. Yet for every g-man, Brett Keane and church of Gail, there's a chance of meeting someone who's not only willing to debate rationally, but also maybe get the ball rolling for them to realise the Bullshit really religion represents.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Contemporary Protestant

I am not instigating a debate, but I disagree with you saying that religion is 'bullshit' or that atheists are more advanced intellectually.
I am however glad that we can agree that some debates are pointless

aitm

The reason that debates spiral out of control is that "reason" itself is the baseline, and religion can not have reason as it has absolutely no evidence that any of the gods of any of the religions are based in anything but myth and superstition. Thus, religion refuses to capitulate to reason as it is simply too embarrassing to admit they have been duped.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Mike Cl

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on February 19, 2015, 08:20:33 PM
I am not instigating a debate, but I disagree with you saying that religion is 'bullshit' or that atheists are more advanced intellectually.
I am however glad that we can agree that some debates are pointless
I agree with you that Munch was out of line labeling religion as bullshit.  Not so, Munch.  It is Dangerous Bullshit!!!  And that is at it's most innocent stage.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Contemporary Protestant

I am a pacifist, how is my religion dangerous?

Mike Cl

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on February 19, 2015, 09:30:28 PM
I am a pacifist, how is my religion dangerous?
Your religion is not you and you are not your religion.  The Christianity you practice is different from  all others who say they practice it.  You do not represent your religion.  As for being dangerous--do you read any type of world history????
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Contemporary Protestant

Yes i am very familiar with world history, and I do not think that any war or atrocity was caused by a single factor. For example I do not think that it is fair to blame German aggression for WWII. There was a multitude of factors at play. I think religion is often used to control people and to justify certain acts, but no, I do not think that religion causes disasters.

stromboli

Pacifism is not a religion. Pacifism means you don't shoot at people so they don't shoot back. Religions can be pacifistic, like Quakers. I'm not a pacifist. I shoot back.

Contemporary Protestant

Fair enough, I am a pacifistic christian, so I don't see how my associates or myself are dangerous, considering we are pacifistic

stromboli

Its been my experience that religious people as a rule are armed to the teeth, so I wouldn't go by your personal experience in that regard. Mormons, for example don't own guns; they own gun collections. the last Mormon wedding I went to the men were discussing ways of turning a Ruger Ranch Rifle full auto; that kind of shit.

Contemporary Protestant

Yeah, my church may be an oddity, (we are in Texas) my minister doesn't own any weapons, and I only own a gun of historic value, its old and doesn't have bullets

Anyways, the statement that 'religion is dangerous bullshit' is proven false by the fact there are religious people and religions that are extremely peaceful, the statement thus requires qualifications or is to be treated as false

Mike Cl

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on February 19, 2015, 10:39:46 PM
Yeah, my church may be an oddity, (we are in Texas) my minister doesn't own any weapons, and I only own a gun of historic value, its old and doesn't have bullets

Anyways, the statement that 'religion is dangerous bullshit' is proven false by the fact there are religious people and religions that are extremely peaceful, the statement thus requires qualifications or is to be treated as false
Through your eyes, I suppose.  Religion is dangerous in that it seems to cause a huge impulse to kill in the name of god.  And it makes one stupid.  Why?  Because the bible is not accurate about much of anything.  Science has proven to be accurate time and time again.  And science will admit when mistakes are made, learn from them and move forward.  Bible based religion stays stagnant.  Reason is thrown out the window or deemed an enemy.  Religion is dangerous bullshit on many levels.

Contemporary Protestant

Um no, the bible has not been stagnant, it is increasingly accurate. Hence, the end of Mark, not being found in the older texts

I think you are wrong, religion does not create the urge to kill, I assert that the urge to kill is independent of religion,

In this case you have the burden of proof, you are asserting that religion makes people stupid and psychotic, and I want proof

Second, why are mentioning the bible, there are more than one religions

Third, how is an appeal to science relevant in this conversation?

News Flash, theism and atheism are philosophical ideas, not scientific ones

I would also implore you to prove that reason is thrown out the window

By the way, I also hold suspicions that you are currently plagiarizing Richard Dawkins, what you are saying is painstakingly familiar to a documentary I watched last week

and Im going to leave this here, sense you think that Christians are incapable of reason

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_thinkers_in_science#2001.E2.80.93today_.2821st_century.29

leo

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on February 19, 2015, 11:15:35 PM
Um no, the bible has not been stagnant, it is increasingly accurate. Hence, the end of Mark, not being found in the older texts

I think you are wrong, religion does not create the urge to kill, I assert that the urge to kill is independent of religion,

In this case you have the burden of proof, you are asserting that religion makes people stupid and psychotic, and I want proof

Second, why are mentioning the bible, there are more than one religions

Third, how is an appeal to science relevant in this conversation?

News Flash, theism and atheism are philosophical ideas, not scientific ones

I would also implore you to prove that reason is thrown out the window

By the way, I also hold suspicions that you are currently plagiarizing Richard Dawkins, what you are saying is painstakingly familiar to a documentary I watched last week

and Im going to leave this here, sense you think that Christians are incapable of reason

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_thinkers_in_science#2001.E2.80.93today_.2821st_century.29
The bible isn't accurate at all. The book have many contradictions. And no , Christians aren't capable of reason.
Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .