Doctor refuses to treat 6-day-old daughter of lesbian couple.

Started by Valigarmander, February 19, 2015, 02:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valigarmander

Good ol' Christian love.
QuoteBay Windsor Contreras is 4 months old and she's the apple of her mothers' eye.

Both of her mothers, Krista and Jami Contreras were married in Vermont in 2012.

In October 2014 they welcomed a beautiful baby bay into the world and were quickly confronted with an ugly reality, one they say from a place they never expected.

"As far as we know Bay doesn't  have a sexual orientation yet so I'm not really sure what that matters,"  Jami said. "We're not your patient - she's your patient. And the fact is that your job is to keep babies healthy and you can't keep a baby healthy that has gay parents?"

Last September when the expectant mothers first met Dr. Vesna Roi at Eastlake Pediatrics in Roseville. She was recommended by their midwife.

"We were really happy with her," Krista said. "The kind of care she offered, we liked her personality, she seemed pretty friendly. She seemed pretty straight up with us."

The Contrerasas were told to make an appointment with Roi once Bay arrived. The baby was born at home and when she was six days old - they went in.

But instead of seeing Dr. Roi,  another doctor greeted them.

"The first thing Dr. Karam said was 'I'll be your doctor, I'll be seeing you today because Dr. Roi decided this morning that she prayed on it and she won't be able to care for Bay," Jami said.

"Dr. Karam told us she didn't even come to the office that morning because she didn't want to see us."

The new mothers were shocked, hurt and angry.

"It was embarrassing, it was humiliating and here we are, new parents trying to protect her," Jami said. "And we know this happens in the world and we're completely prepared for this to happen other places. But not at our six-day-old's wellness appointment."

Bay's parents proceeded with the appointment with the other doctor then found another pediatric group for their baby.

"When we started calling other pediatricians my first thing on the phone was, we're lesbian moms - is this okay with you,"  Krista said.

Still upset, the new moms shared their story on social media. People started calling Eastlake Pediatrics to share their alarm. On Feb. 9, nearly four months after the appointment - the Contreras family finally received this letter from Roi.

The letter read:

"After much prayer following your prenatal, I felt that i would not be able to develop the personal patient-doctor relationships that I normally do with my patients."

"We do not keep prenatal information once we have our meetings so I had no way to contact you."

She apologizes, saying, "I should have spoken with you directly that day," and "please know that I believe that God gives us free choice and I would never judge anyone based on what they do with that free choice."

FOX 2 contacted Roi who said that she could not comment, citing patient privacy laws.

As it turns out, Roi has free choice too - the American Medical Association says physicians cannot refuse to care for patients based on sexual orientation, but doctors can refuse treatment if it's incompatible with their personal, religious or moral beliefs.

And here in Michigan - there are no laws that protect lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender  families from discrimination.

"We already don't have laws to protect these sort of families," attorney Dana Nessel said. "And worse, we are considering passing laws that allow further discrimination."

Nessel is one of the attorneys on Michigan's same sex marriage case now headed to the United States Supreme Court. She referred to legislation called the Religious Freedom Restoration Act now in the State Senate, which opponents say would allow people to discriminate based on their moral or religious beliefs.

All the more reason, says Jami, to raise awareness now.

"If they're discriminating against anyone, I would want to know because I wouldn't want to support that doctor, dentist or whoever's doing it," she said. "So we just really wanted people to know - this is happening to families."

And this family, which now has a different pediatrician they say they love, is grateful that sweet baby Bay was only six days old and doesn't know anything about discrimination.

"Hopefully us telling our story can make sure by the time she's six-years-old this kind of thing can't happen," Krista said.

Munch

That bitch needs to have her medical licence revoked.

Medical needs is above and beyond any religious belief, you leave that shit at the door. She's put a childs life in danger due to her ignorance and she doesn't deserve her role as a doctor.

Fuck, she even skipped work about of her ignorance, so not only is she endangering a child life, but other peoples who might have needed her.

Fuck her, I hope she loses her job. 

Infact, as someone in the comment section of that article pointed out

QuoteThe Declaration of Geneva, published by the World Medical Association, now commonly replaces the Hyppocratic Oath. In its current amended form, it states (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Declaration_of_Geneva):

At the time of being admitted as a member of the medical profession:

• I solemnly pledge to consecrate my life to the service of humanity;

• I will give to my teachers the respect and gratitude that is their due;

• I will practice my profession with conscience and dignity;

• The health of my patient will be my first consideration;

• I will respect the secrets that are confided in me, even after the patient has died;

• I will maintain by all the means in my power, the honour and the noble traditions of the medical profession;

• My colleagues will be my sisters and brothers;

• I will not permit considerations of age, disease or disability, creed, ethnic origin, gender, nationality, political affiliation, race, sexual orientation, social standing or any other factor to intervene between my duty and my patient;

• I will maintain the utmost respect for human life;

• I will not use my medical knowledge to violate human rights and civil liberties, even under threat;

• I make these promises solemnly, freely and upon my honour.

Under law, she should be charged with medical malpractice
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Solitary

There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Hijiri Byakuren

Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Gawdzilla Sama

She prayed on it. And surprise! God wanted what she wanted. Nice God. Dependable God. Predictable God.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Munch

This is where religion just seems like a throbbing cancerous lump on the brain. A doctor, who you would think went to medical school and got a doctorate and all certificates validating them as a doctor, would do all this, but in the part of their brain where reason and logic is meant to be, theres this lump, that makes any decision she makes based around what an imaginary character in a book of sand stories tells her.

I hope she gets fired, I don't want this bitch treating anyone else given her sense of 'reasoning'

gussy

If she was so confident that God was telling her what to do, then she might have displayed a little more confidence with His decision.  She can't even show up for work because these women might run into her. 

Munch

Quote from: gussy on February 19, 2015, 07:19:34 PM
If she was so confident that God was telling her what to do, then she might have displayed a little more confidence with His decision.  She can't even show up for work because these women might run into her.

God probably told her the gays carry the ebola virus and will sacrifice the child for their pagan sex god.

Johan

Meh, Bigots gotta be bigots. She don't wanna cure the dykes baby? She don't have to. And the parents of other babies don't have to hire her or anyone else at the organization she works for to cure their babies either. And that's exactly the way it should be IMO.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

stromboli

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: stromboli on February 19, 2015, 10:31:35 PM
That your recipe for afterbirth? Looks kind of like it. I have one for Chicken Fried Placenta.
Was my blood-boiling reaction a little too subtle, or are you having fun with me? :P
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

ApostateLois

If your religion is going to prevent you from performing certain essential duties of your job, then GET ANOTHER FUCKING JOB. It would be like someone getting a job in the meat department at a grocery store, then announcing that they can't cut meat because they are vegan.
"Now we see through a glass dumbly." ~Crow, MST3K #903, "Puma Man"

Desdinova

"How long will we be
Waiting, for your modern messiah
To take away all the hatred
That darkens the light in your eye"
  -Disturbed, Liberate

Johan

Quote from: ApostateLois on February 27, 2015, 01:43:29 PM
If your religion is going to prevent you from performing certain essential duties of your job, then GET ANOTHER FUCKING JOB.
First of all, the Constitution allows for your religion to prevent you from performing certain essential duties of your job. Its legal and its as it should be.

Second of all, in this case her religion did not prevent her from performing certain essential duties of her job. What her religion did was prevent her from performing ANY duties of her job for certain people based on their sexual orientation. That, unfortunately, is completely legal under federal law. Fortunately for the rest of us, what is also legal under federal law is that we can describe and discuss the factual actions of this person freely via any medium, public or private, and we can then decide freely whether or not we want to do business with this woman or her employer in the future. And that, again, is exactly as it should be.

She was a douche. She has a right to be a douche. And we have a right to call her a douche and take our dollar elsewhere. Please consider carefully the consequences of any system which alters any of things except of course, the sexual orientation thing. The sexual orientation thing has to go. No doubt about it. But its also important, imperative really, that we call a spade a spade. You are allowed to be religious, or not. You are allowed to let that religion or lack there of to dictate what you will and will not do. What you should not be allowed to do is let the sexual orientation of others dictate what you will and will not do when it comes to offering goods and services to the general public.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful