News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Shcotts Shitty Short Shtories

Started by Moloth, February 18, 2015, 01:53:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moloth

Yesh, okay.
So, i've got all these crappy short stories that i'm transferring to my inane little website.
I figured that you people are clearly not busy doing anything important with your lives (you're on this site, reading this, arent you?), so you might want to take a few minutes, read some crap and give brutal feedback.

http://www.moloth.com/docs.cfm

Also, i'd love to read anything you guys/gals/dog-kin have written, so post it here, too.
-=The Believer is Happy; the Skeptic is Wise=-

http://www.moloth.com

aitm

A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Solitary

Quote from: Moloth on February 18, 2015, 01:53:16 PM
Yesh, okay.
So, i've got all these crappy short stories that i'm transferring to my inane little website.
I figured that you people are clearly not busy doing anything important with your lives (you're on this site, reading this, arent you?), so you might want to take a few minutes, read some crap and give brutal feedback.

http://www.moloth.com/docs.cfm

Also, i'd love to read anything you guys/gals/dog-kin have written, so post it here, too.
Those are an interesting read Moloth, Thanks! Solitary AKA Kiang
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Moloth

Sal1981

I translated (poorly) the first chapter of a book I'm writing almost directly from Faroese into English:

Word and Meaning

For there to be any meaning drawn out of anything, be it literature or daily speech, then you have to use words that correspond to the meaning behind what you want to present.

After one has found the appropriate words for whatever one wants to present, must one also take into account that others must understand it as well. Said with other words: Context and sentence structure with well chosen words determine if someone other than yourself is able to understand what one is saying and writing. This is fundamental communication.

It is not pre-determined that everyone uses the same understanding (i.e. use a different definition) of words that oneself is using, so to elicit common understanding of what one is presenting can be difficult because people have so many variating perspectives and what they think words mean.

The natural sciences use a very specific (and explicit) word definition, syntax and symbols such that it can only be understood in one way. In mathematics there is no doubt what meaning is behind the structure, despite differing perspectives and perceptive difficulties (ability to understand the mathematics) for the ones that try to learn mathematical subjects and formulas. Physics is also written in such a way that it can be only understood in only one way, despite differing perspectives and perceptive difficulties. It is such for all natural science.

The task is to talk past these language barriers, with elucidation of what values one has, what society one comes from, and what culture it is said from. By marking and taking into account these values and differences one is able to see how these differences play in, and argument from a value system that takes it into account.

This is a problem with communication with others, which is that not everyone uses the same word definitions, due to innate differences between people. Elucidation and understanding of words to describe sentence structure becomes even more difficult when differences of values, society and culture becomes apparent for the ones reading the material.

Ideally there was only oné meaning for separate words, but it is not so. Words without and taken out of context become unspecific, such that they can be interpreted in several ways; this is a reality out from how language itself has developed and used between people. With a well-worded sentence, paragraph and whole work, it can, ideally, only be interpreted in oné way, and only in one specific way such that the message in the work is specific and intact.

One trouble is perceptive difficulty. It takes time and thinking to understand what is presented and put forward, it doesn’t come by itself. Said with other words: Argumentation behind the message must be taken into account.

If one can’t argument for ones message, then the message is either not clear or the message is straight out wrong. On the other hand, if ones argumentation is held up against scrutiny and is able to present the message concisely such that it can be argued for and examined, then it stands up to anyone to disprove or prove the message dependent on if the argumentation is whole, both dependent on meaning and logical consistency.

And here one ends. It depends upon the logic behind: Is it logically consistent whatever one puts forward or is it not. This is a reductionist approach from message all the way down to logic, i.e. to illuminate the message by finding out how this message is put together materially, the goal is to better understand the message out from the structure and interaction between the different subjects.

This approach can be used on this work you’re now reading: Are the correct words used? Is the context of these words meaningful and understandable? Is the argument behind and its logic correct?

I want to invite the reader to think independently and decide for themselves if the message is right or wrong.

Sal1981

btw, I got most of my stuff on Google Docs. Can't go missing there, I hope.

Moloth

AllPurposeAtheist

Holy mother of the wall of text Sal.. I'm afraid I didn't read all that..
I'm so disappointed in myself..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.