News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

There is possibly 2 stars in our solar system

Started by PickelledEggs, February 18, 2015, 12:19:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cocoa Beware

Fascinating.

It occurs to me that a celestial body with more mass/a closer approach would guarantee the end of the world. The prospect of a neutron star passing close by or even directly through our own neighborhood is a really cool idea. We would never see it coming, and its likely everything would get slung into interstellar space.

Of course, I dont think we should ever worry about something like that, seeing that our own local planetary system has evidently remained quite stable for billions of years. The odds of something like this ever happening must truly be astronomical.

Termin

She told me I was her fisrt, thAT cloud LIED TO ME :(
Termin 1:1

Evolution is probably the slowest biological process on planet earth, the only one that comes close is the understanding of it by creationists.

JI_Joe

I wonder if there is anything of note in the fossil record 70,000 years ago.

Sent from my Z936L using Tapatalk

Baruch

Well 75,000 years ago we did have the big eruption on Sumatra, that nearly made humans extinct.

http://www.inquisitr.com/2160555/indonesias-lake-toba-supervolcano-threatens-global-volcanic-winter-eruption-caused-mass-extinction-75-000-years-ago/

So yes, there is evidence ... provided that the gravitational pull of a neutron star can make the Earth's crust more unstable in weak spots.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gerard

Quote from: Baruch on November 11, 2015, 09:48:09 AM
Well 75,000 years ago we did have the big eruption on Sumatra, that nearly made humans extinct.

http://www.inquisitr.com/2160555/indonesias-lake-toba-supervolcano-threatens-global-volcanic-winter-eruption-caused-mass-extinction-75-000-years-ago/

So yes, there is evidence ... provided that the gravitational pull of a neutron star can make the Earth's crust more unstable in weak spots.

Not really sure that these two items are related.......

Gerard

Baruch

Timing coincidence between possible neutron star passage and major volcanic eruption?  70,000 vs 75,000 is pretty close.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

peacewithoutgod

Quote from: Jason78 on February 18, 2015, 05:11:51 PM
She's gone, she's not coming back.
70,000 years ago - isn't that when that big comet triggered the mass extinction event which killed off the dinosaurs, and gave rise to mammals? Goody for us and the pooches, and I'm really happy that I don't have to floss dinosaur teeth, but if it is coming back soon then we can expect all sorts of hell to break loose when it does.
There are two types of ideas: fact and non-fact. Ideas which are not falsifiable are non-fact, therefore please don't insist your fantasies of supernatural beings are in any way factual.

Doctrine = not to be questioned = not to be proven = not fact. When you declare your doctrine fact, you lie.

Hydra009

Quote from: Baruch on November 11, 2015, 05:17:59 PMTiming coincidence between possible neutron star passage and major volcanic eruption?  70,000 vs 75,000 is pretty close.
Well, if we're going to ballpark it, the moon landing and the end of the Cold War happened at virtually the same time, too.

peacewithoutgod

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 12, 2015, 12:20:10 AM
Well, if we're going to ballpark it, the moon landing and the end of the Cold War happened at virtually the same time, too.
There we have it, the Cold War ended with the rise of agriculture!
There are two types of ideas: fact and non-fact. Ideas which are not falsifiable are non-fact, therefore please don't insist your fantasies of supernatural beings are in any way factual.

Doctrine = not to be questioned = not to be proven = not fact. When you declare your doctrine fact, you lie.

SGOS

When I first came to this forum, there was this guy that used to get pissed off when anyone would reactivate and old thread like this one.  He would get pricky and ask, "Why did you bump this thread?  It's 9 months old."

Oh my.  Someone bumped an old thread, and someone else might have responded.  "Come on now people, you know that's wrong.  It's just so wrong."

Mostly, I think he did it when he didn't approve of the response, not so much that some unspoken forum protocol had been ignored.  Anyway, people don't seem to fuss over that anymore, and that particular individual that did all the time eventually got banned, although it was for some other dick-headed thing he was doing.

Now, when someone reactivates and old thread, I still flinch, like I'm waiting for a heavy hammer of disapproval to come down on the thread.

But thanks for re-opening this.  I must have missed it before, and it is a most interesting bit of information.  It points out how much safer we are here on Earth than out in space, which is filled with danger.  You go out in space, and you could get clobbered with God knows what.  Stay out of the way of neutron stars and major asteroids and comets and stuff.  Don't go out in space.

Gawdzilla Sama

Hall monitors demand you respect their authority!
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

peacewithoutgod

Quote from: SGOS on November 12, 2015, 08:04:57 AM
When I first came to this forum, there was this guy that used to get pissed off when anyone would reactivate and old thread like this one.  He would get pricky and ask, "Why did you bump this thread?  It's 9 months old."

Oh my.  Someone bumped an old thread, and someone else might have responded.  "Come on now people, you know that's wrong.  It's just so wrong."

Mostly, I think he did it when he didn't approve of the response, not so much that some unspoken forum protocol had been ignored.  Anyway, people don't seem to fuss over that anymore, and that particular individual that did all the time eventually got banned, although it was for some other dick-headed thing he was doing.

Now, when someone reactivates and old thread, I still flinch, like I'm waiting for a heavy hammer of disapproval to come down on the thread.

But thanks for re-opening this.  I must have missed it before, and it is a most interesting bit of information.  It points out how much safer we are here on Earth than out in space, which is filled with danger.  You go out in space, and you could get clobbered with God knows what.  Stay out of the way of neutron stars and major asteroids and comets and stuff.  Don't go out in space.
That dude sounds like at least two of the mods here, who aren't any different now. They know who they are, being the only mods who frequently troll these discussions as if they were regular members, only difference is that when they don't like your opinion they can and will ban you for any excuse they can cook up, and they will goad you toward that end - not very professional!

Baruch

Quote from: peacewithoutgod on November 11, 2015, 11:58:16 PM
70,000 years ago - isn't that when that big comet triggered the mass extinction event which killed off the dinosaurs, and gave rise to mammals? Goody for us and the pooches, and I'm really happy that I don't have to floss dinosaur teeth, but if it is coming back soon then we can expect all sorts of hell to break loose when it does.

Seriously?  Dinosaurs were 66 million years ago, not 70 thousand ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hijiri Byakuren

I remember my uncle talking about this a few months ago. He thinks it's Planet Nibiru.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Gerard

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on November 12, 2015, 01:10:24 PM
I remember my uncle talking about this a few months ago. He thinks it's Planet Nibiru.
That's really unfortunate.

Gerard