Oklahoma Votes Overwhelmingly To Remove AP U. S. History

Started by stromboli, February 18, 2015, 11:36:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: Munch on February 19, 2015, 08:36:40 AM
Hugh Jackman made me think Oklahoma was a bright, fun happy place full of progressive people...
I was probably about 10 years old when the first musical version played at the theaters.  I went every Saturday afternoon, because the theater was just a block from my house.  My hero was Roy Rogers, and I was excited that I was going to see a cowboy movie, where some bad guy would get gut shot.  The movie started out OK.  Yep, it looked like cowboy country alright, but then it suddenly broke out in a celebration of jubilant singing and dancing.  I was so depressed, I almost cried.  How long would it be until the movie ended?  Maybe some bank robbers would break into the barn dance and shoot the place up.  No such luck.  It was just a bunch of singers and dancers wearing clean "straight from the store" blue jeans and bright colored kerchiefs around their necks.  These weren't even real cowboys like Roy Rogers.  He would never prance around shaking his booty like that.  Didn't these people have any frontier stuff that needed to be done?  Nope, they just want to sing and dance.  The movie could have been called California or Iowa.  It was just a bunch of happy songs that didn't particularly describe Oklahoma as far as I knew.

stromboli

I kept waiting for his Wolverine claws to come out and eviscerate the old lady.....

trdsf

Not surprised.  The last thing the Repubs need is an electorate that can think; they'll lose all their voters.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Aletheia

Amazing how a viral meme influences the mind. Christians in positions of power know they have lost the current generation and are looking for ways of restricting the pathways of younger generations so they have no choice but to be Christian. Of course a history class won't be presented from the Christian perspective. History is supposed to be objective. It's important for children to be taught the good and the bad, especially when referring to their own country. Raising children in a delusion will not produce adults willing and capable of fixing so many of the problems our nation faces.

If this continues for much longer, I fear that Americans will eventually rally against a corrupt government that is financially and morally bankrupt. Everywhere I turn, most Americans are unhappy with the choices made by the government. Yet, these ridiculous laws are passed anyway. I get the feeling that our votes, protests, and punitive legal actions mean nothing. Our nation is slowly becoming an oligarchy - more specifically a plutocracy.
Quote from: Jakenessif you believe in the supernatural, you do not understand modern science. Period.

Hydra009

Fox News chimed in on this.  It's precious.  They're like the kid in class who crapped his pants and hid it in the desk.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on February 19, 2015, 09:15:10 AM
I was probably about 10 years old when the first musical version played at the theaters.  I went every Saturday afternoon, because the theater was just a block from my house.  My hero was Roy Rogers, and I was excited that I was going to see a cowboy movie, where some bad guy would get gut shot.  The movie started out OK.  Yep, it looked like cowboy country alright, but then it suddenly broke out in a celebration of jubilant singing and dancing.  I was so depressed, I almost cried.  How long would it be until the movie ended?  Maybe some bank robbers would break into the barn dance and shoot the place up.  No such luck.  It was just a bunch of singers and dancers wearing clean "straight from the store" blue jeans and bright colored kerchiefs around their necks.  These weren't even real cowboys like Roy Rogers.  He would never prance around shaking his booty like that.  Didn't these people have any frontier stuff that needed to be done?  Nope, they just want to sing and dance.  The movie could have been called California or Iowa.  It was just a bunch of happy songs that didn't particularly describe Oklahoma as far as I knew.
It's probably a good thing you didn't see "Paint Your Wagon" then.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

stromboli

I liked Paint Your Wagon. When destroying a whole town is part of the plot, not bad. Just skip over the part where Clint Eastwood is talking to the trees.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: stromboli on February 20, 2015, 08:15:58 AM
I liked Paint Your Wagon. When destroying a whole town is part of the plot, not bad. Just skip over the part where Clint Eastwood is talking to the trees.
The singing. The fucking singing. I had to sit through it to get laid and I still almost got up and left.

I got in trouble later for suggesting that the simplest solution to their problem was a king-sized bed.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers