News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Should we continue to pursue virtual reality?

Started by dtq123, February 16, 2015, 12:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dtq123

Since there weren't many who responded to my "Research", I won't talk about SwordArtOnline much.

As far as I know, there are two types of Virtual Reality (I could be wrong). One is what we have, just sensory input into the eyes. The Other that came from SAO is one that directly puts sensory input into your head.

Medically, both can be useful for simulations that can teach people how to walk (...Again?) and can be uplifting for the disabled.

Recreationally, I am a bit reluctant to allow either into my daily life. A simulation is still a simulation, and I value our transience on this little blue dot. I don't mind others that use it, but to use it myself feels a bit strange.

In SAO, Virtual Reality isn't just a computer program, it's a network that many people can access. So I am going to address dating as well. I believe that virtual reality can enhance relationships that are already in place, especially for long distance relationships.

However, finding new relationships can provide as much disappointment as online dating has. People can alter their appearance to deceive you, and people who become attracted to you might be disappointed in what you are in reality.

Also, when we reach the state SAO has reached where we are able to directly beam sensory input there is a risk for brain manipulation.

And then: Addiction. Videogames have captivated the world, so what happens to those people after they meet this on a large scale? It is a possibility that a mass exodus of people could happen as they enter a reality better than this one.

Just my opinion, but this is seriously worth thinking about.
A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

Hydra009

Quote from: dtq123 on February 16, 2015, 12:43:22 PMRecreationally, I am a bit reluctant to allow either into my daily life. A simulation is still a simulation, and I value our transience on this little blue dot. I don't mind others that use it, but to use it myself feels a bit strange.
How so?  Simulation is a pretty pervasive human pasttime - we're not just talking video games, but also films (especially 3D films), some theme park rides, as well as training/fitness simulators.

QuoteIn SAO, Virtual Reality isn't just a computer program, it's a network that many people can access.
That is a trait common to MMOs.  The defining trait, come to think about it.

QuoteSo I am going to address dating as well. I believe that virtual reality can enhance relationships that are already in place, especially for long distance relationships.

However, finding new relationships can provide as much disappointment as online dating has. People can alter their appearance to deceive you, and people who become attracted to you might be disappointed in what you are in reality.
I agree. 

QuoteAlso, when we reach the state SAO has reached where we are able to directly beam sensory input there is a risk for brain manipulation.
True, though that's hardly a problem that's unique to VR.

QuoteAnd then: Addiction. Videogames have captivated the world, so what happens to those people after they meet this on a large scale? It is a possibility that a mass exodus of people could happen as they enter a reality better than this one.
Or it could exist as a entertainment venue exactly as it does in the SAO world.

I still remember when people said the internet would supplant real-world interactions.  There are similar fears associated with VR.  Neither are likely true.

Jason78

Why worry?  We've been interacting virtually online and in video games for years and the technology is getting better all the time.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Hijiri Byakuren

Of course we should. You can only fap to so much hentai before you want to actually fuck the women you're looking at.

What!? It's true! :P
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

dtq123

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 16, 2015, 01:11:42 PM
How so?  Simulation is a pretty pervasive human pasttime - we're not just talking video games, but also films (especially 3D films), some theme park rides, as well as training/fitness simulators...
I still remember when people said the internet would supplant real-world interactions.  There are similar fears associated with VR.  Neither are likely true.
Point taken.

Quote from: Jason78 on February 16, 2015, 01:17:11 PM
Why worry?  We've been interacting virtually online and in video games for years and the technology is getting better all the time.
As technology progresses without serious regulations, there will be more opportunities to misuse and abuse technology. That's why I want people to start building caution and seriousness on this topic.

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on February 16, 2015, 02:39:24 PM
Of course we should. You can only fap to so much hentai before you want to actually fuck the women you're looking at.
You are the kind of person who would probably remain in virtual reality for hours at a time. And sadly, it might be the norm for most people. I just worry too much about what will happen to this world anyway, What do I know?. :eyes:
A dark cloud looms over.
What is this, "Justice?"

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: dtq123 on February 16, 2015, 02:48:24 PMYou are the kind of person who would probably remain in virtual reality for hours at a time.
You don't know me!

Well actually if it were something like this, I might actually stay in there for hours at a time, if only because it would make cardio more fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7n5kRRHDpw

dtq123

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on February 16, 2015, 02:51:43 PM
You don't know me!

Well actually if it were something like this, I might actually stay in there for hours at a time, if only because it would make cardio more fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7n5kRRHDpw
Seen SAO? Enough said  :eyes:
I was half joking and half crying inside. Cardio WOULD be more fun wouldn't it?
A dark cloud looms over.
What is this, "Justice?"

stromboli

I'm all for it. when they come up with Hentai that makes you think you are actually there, I'm there.

dtq123

Quote from: stromboli on February 16, 2015, 02:58:02 PM
I'm all for it. when they come up with Hentai that makes you think you are actually there, I'm there.
All right, we're all set! Now please sign this contract that allows me to donate your organs to helpless kids in Africa with Sickle-Cell Anemia and the like.
Have a nice tip!

Question is, would you give up this world?
A dark cloud looms over.
What is this, "Justice?"

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: dtq123 on February 16, 2015, 03:00:26 PMQuestion is, would you give up this world?
Nah. The point of fantasy has always been escapism. Anyone who's spent too long playing video games in a single sitting knows that eventually, your brain ends up wanting to "escape" from that very escapism.

GrinningYMIR

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on February 16, 2015, 02:39:24 PM

"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

GrinningYMIR

"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Hydra009

Quote from: dtq123 on February 16, 2015, 03:00:26 PMQuestion is, would you give up this world?
This seems to be a recurring theme.  That it's one or the other.

dtq123

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on February 16, 2015, 03:03:32 PM
Nah. The point of fantasy has always been escapism. Anyone who's spent too long playing video games in a single sitting knows that eventually, your brain ends up wanting to "escape" from that very escapism.
Quote from: Hydra009 on February 16, 2015, 04:29:33 PM
This seems to be a recurring theme.  That it's one or the other.

Ergo, in VR you can switch to another reality altogether without coming back to the one you were born in.
Point taken though.
A dark cloud looms over.
What is this, "Justice?"

Hydra009

Quote from: dtq123 on February 16, 2015, 02:55:24 PMSeen SAO? Enough said  :eyes:
The horror of SAO was that they were trapped there against their will.  Also, the possibility of death.  And no respec.  /cry