Does anyone else get annoyed with some of the "culture" surrounding atheism?

Started by atheist_in_a_foxhole, February 09, 2015, 10:13:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

atheist_in_a_foxhole

I put culture in quotations because I realize there is no unifying culture, doctrine, or whatever surrounding atheism. But there is a large amount of atheists online who have a "holier than thou" (if you will) attitude. I see this a lot on especially Youtube, where I can't watch a Sam Harris or Christopher Hitchens video without having to see the title of it as something like "Christopher Hitchens Demolishes a Rude Rabbi..." or "A Very Wise Christopher Hitchens Brutalizes Dishonest William Dembski..." or "Douglas Wilson gets slapped around silly by Christopher Hitchens". It is very tiresome to me and I just want to be able to discuss topics without stooping to the arrogant level of Theists, but that doesn't seem to be possible for the most part, at least as a whole.

stromboli

A matter of viewpoint. I grew up in a religious environment and was involved religiously up to about 6 years ago. I don't have a problem with people being in the faces of religion because religion was in my face for decades. I'd rather see Bill Maher and others attacking than being conciliatory and soft pedaling. Religion needs to be attacked, embarrassed and humiliated at every turn in my view. Exposing to ridicule and embarrassing pinheads like Huckabee or Ken Ham should be par for the course.

Atheon

I get tired of those videos that say "A destroys B" or "C demolishes D", only to see the person in question making some valid (but not devastating) point, and then ending the video there (cutting off any response).
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Green Bottle

''Quote''
I'd rather see Bill Maher and others attacking than being conciliatory and soft pedaling. Religion needs to be attacked, embarrassed and humiliated at every turn in my view.

http://youtu.be/De9LHu0iu2M
God doesnt exist, but if he did id tell him to ''Fuck Off''

AllPurposeAtheist

I see a much worse thing online where some self described atheists declare themselves smarter than everyone else by default merely for not believing in a god. Not believing in something doesn't by default make anyone smarter nor dumber.
My girlfriend believes in a god, but is in fact a very intelligent woman. She's very private about her beliefs, but is otherwise as smart a woman as I've ever been with. Her choice in men not withstanding.. :think:
In fact she expresses atheist sentiment much better than most atheists I've ever meet.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Hydra009

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on February 09, 2015, 01:15:09 PM
My girlfriend believes in a god, but is in fact a very intelligent woman. She's very private about her beliefs, but is otherwise as smart a woman as I've ever been with. Her choice in men not withstanding.. :think:
In fact she expresses atheist sentiment much better than most atheists I've ever meet.
That's quite the accomplishment.

Solitary

He did say: "Her choice in men not withstanding.) He! He! Ignorance, believing in superstitious nonsense, Any God or gods is stupid---PERIOD, AND SHOULD BE EXTERPATED FROM THE EARTH WITH EXTREME PREJUDICE!
Why would an atheist be annoyed by this. I'm annoyed by Christians trying to shove it down our throat every time they get a chance. Every authority should always be questioned and made a mockery of if they try to pass off opinions as facts. And when they teach the same nonsense to young impressionable children to further their agenda they are teaching that fairy tales are true when it come to religion. Ignorance is not bliss when it requires one to accept authority without question, especially when parents do it out of their own ignorance thinking it is knowledge. Culture is the refinement of intellectual and artistic taste in a civilized society. Why in the hell would this annoy anyone unless they are sympathetic to stupid people and they shouldn't be shown they are wrong? Solitary     
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Sal1981

Something something about getting down to their level and something they beat you with experience and something.

Shower them with facts. If they disregard those facts, let the audience itself decide if they find them stupid or not.

It's really the only way to win (a debate), because I think if we play by their rules and try to speak "their" language, we'll lose. Best to just be a stalwart example and stick to the facts.

I don't know about you but have you ever really watched and listened to a sermon? The language and rhetoric they use is leagues afar from reason and logic, it's emotive plain and simple. And you really can't reason someone out of a position, I think, they weren't reasoned into in the first place; at least, this has been my experience debating with believers.

atheist_in_a_foxhole

I'm not talking
Quote from: stromboli on February 09, 2015, 10:20:30 AM
A matter of viewpoint. I grew up in a religious environment and was involved religiously up to about 6 years ago. I don't have a problem with people being in the faces of religion because religion was in my face for decades. I'd rather see Bill Maher and others attacking than being conciliatory and soft pedaling. Religion needs to be attacked, embarrassed and humiliated at every turn in my view. Exposing to ridicule and embarrassing pinheads like Huckabee or Ken Ham should be par for the course.

I'm not talking about people attacking religion. I have no problem with it. I do have a problem with the people uploading these videos with sensationalist titles for all of them. It just gets old.

the_antithesis

Quote from: atheist_in_a_foxhole on February 09, 2015, 04:08:17 PM
I'm not talking about people attacking religion. I have no problem with it. I do have a problem with the people uploading these videos with sensationalist titles for all of them. It just gets old.

The problem with things getting old is young people. There's always someone younger than you for whom it's not old and they have a higher tolerance so it doesn't get old for them as fast so they just keep doing it.

So basically the world is tiresomely shitty because of all you whippersnappers.

Knock it off.

Draconic Aiur

Religious people are a-holes when finding out your an atheist or when publicly and privately confronting you. A person can be as sweet as cherry pie and as intelligent as a scientist and when the confront atheism they can be complete a-holes. And not just that they do shit that is hypocritical and dumb and deny it and say its the will of god or something. Religious people have been fucking with atheist since day one with lynching and social fucking, they even say its okay because your a evil incarnate and can throw you down a cliff and they think get away with it. When they say their being oppressed and say normal people don't fuck with atheists their bullshitting, lying a-holes; those skeptics that try to even agree with them are naive fools.

I've been getting fucked for being a public atheist for awhile and I can say I'm depressed that society is full of religious a-holes that are hypocrites. So I swear, I revolt, I get  mad, and I fuck with them to repay the over 1000 years of asshaterry and still going of these motherfuckers. The quote my atheist dad gave me is if you meet an a-hole fuck with them so hard they'll leave you alone because there's no trifling with one who wants to fuck you, it's self defense and it's your right.

Jason78

Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Draconic Aiur

GSOgymrat

I don't enjoy criticizing other people's faith or ideas. If there is some specific topic that is being discussed-- evolution, secularism, life after death-- I'm happy to engage if I feel I have something to add. I don't really enjoy arguing because I'm not usually interested in changing someone's mind. What other people believe is far less important to me than what I believe and the value of hearing other people's ideas is learning new things and refining my own beliefs, and I don't need to share my thoughts to do that. Many people online, particularly certain atheists, enjoy debate and seem unable to discuss a topic without polarizing the discussion and trying to "win." I can appreciate that style of discussion but it gets tiresome sometimes.

Munch

I've had many a time when I'd be discussing something that comes together with my own belief, even when not including religion in the context, be it about evolution, my sexuality, my interests, and sometimes it is meet by people whos whole world view is based around their religious belief, even swearing god in context to it, like once a co-worker found out I was gay and spoke right up "oh its not natural" when I was right there, needless to say I didn't work alongside that bitch anymore.

I do not go around pushing my belief in peoples faces, I do not preach hatred against faiths and cultures without provocation. However, I do react to news reports, articles and what people say, if it really offends me they would so freely say something that is against my moral value, and while I will almost always say they are fully entitled to their belief, I will also remind them I'm entitled to mine, and if pushed enough, like the example of that co worker i mentioned, I will tell them their belief is disgusting right back.

On the subject of atheistic culture, I am an atheist, the same as I am an gay man, and within these aspects about myself I've found my own view of the world. I don't need to go seeking out large groups of people who have the same aspects as me, I know where I stand. I don't mind dipping into the gay culture with friends now and again, but you won't get me going to big gay parties or orgies or even gay night at a bar, I'd be happier going to the pictures with long time straight friends because they are my friends.
Same goes for being an atheist, I wouldn't go attending atheist group formations or marches, I know what I believe and thats enough for me, I like hanging around forums like this one because its neat and not over populated, and thats all I need, having a few guys to share some common belief in, but then going about my own life with friends and family.

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin