Main Menu

How Christianity changed the world

Started by pauluk3, February 01, 2015, 04:47:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pauluk3

great video and series, would love some comments on the below video

*removed personal link* -PickelledEggs

Icarus

Why is there nothing on Christian religious wars or witch burning? Cherry picking and making random connections at its finest.

stromboli

The fuel project is a Christian ministry.

http://www.thefuelproject.org/

It is likely not going to mention that most of the so-called history of christian persecution and martyrdoms didn't happen

http://www.salon.com/2013/02/24/the_myth_of_persecution_early_christians_werent_persecuted/

Solitary

Christian soldiers marching us all into the abyss.  :wtff: I guess you have never actually read all the bible, have you. Every atrocity done to mankind has been mentioned in the Scriptures, and condoned by God, even demanded at times, all in the name of Christianity.  :wall:  This is why you are being persecuted! So what you are saying, is that you and other Christians would do all the things you mentioned if you weren't Christians, right? What a lame and pompous apology for Christianity insanity. Solitary :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah:   
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

stromboli

Hey religions have been making shit up as they go since the beginning. Like Judaism not beginning as polytheism, like Mormonism isn't run by a bunch of homophobic old white men, like god loves you but kill anybody that don't wear your particular religious symbol. Fucking stupid, per usual.

Hydra009

Skimmed the video.  "Christianity civilized the world".  What a load of crock.

While it arguably did coincide with some positive changes (and some negative ones, like the violent suppression of "heretical" ideas at home and the brutal evangelism of "heathens" abroad, to say nothing of the European wars of religion), we have absolutely no idea what would have happened if Christianity had not come into power.  Perhaps we would be discussing how some other religion civilized the world.

And the video promotes a strangely circular argument.  Christians prohibited X.  X is immoral according to a Christian POV.  So, it's good that Christians prohibited it.  Well, no duh if you look at it that way.  But from a non-Christian POV, some of their prohibitions are much less laudable, as the LGBT community is well aware.

There are a couple really dubious claims in there, like the assertion that infanticide would've continued to the present day had Christianity not come along and abolished it.

Also, it's a bit telling that we have to go back centuries in the past in order to show Christianity as a positive influence at all.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: pauluk3 on February 01, 2015, 04:47:38 PM
great video and series, would love some comments on the below video

Hi Pauluk3! Although you smell familiar, I'm not sure we've got an introduction from you. Would you mind telling us about yourself in the intro section?

In the meantime, I will remove these links that seem like they are your own personal links. Nothing personal, it's just that it's against the rules to post personal links before a certain post count and membership duration and/or proselytize.

GSOgymrat

The video was pulled before I could view it but I think Christianity's influence on the world would be difficult, if not impossible, to calculate. Part of the challenge with assessing Christianity's influence is not knowing what religion or religions would have evolved instead. One really can't say with any certainty that without Christianity, "X" would not have happened. The situation is similar to asking what would the world be like if the Roman Empire never existed, e.g. would Roman architecture have been lost or would this style have been pervasive anyway because the design is fundamentally practical and aesthetically pleasing.

SGOS

Christianity was an integral part of a stagnating power structure that lasted for hundreds of years during the dark ages.

stromboli

Quote from: GSOgymrat on February 02, 2015, 06:35:20 AM
The video was pulled before I could view it but I think Christianity's influence on the world would be difficult, if not impossible, to calculate. Part of the challenge with assessing Christianity's influence is not knowing what religion or religions would have evolved instead. One really can't say with any certainty that without Christianity, "X" would not have happened. The situation is similar to asking what would the world be like if the Roman Empire never existed, e.g. would Roman architecture have been lost or would this style have been pervasive anyway because the design is fundamentally practical and aesthetically pleasing.

You missed nothing that we haven't seen before, bro. Btw, nice beard.

Desdinova

No need to watch a video on this.  I can sum it up very nicely.  "Clusterfuck".
"How long will we be
Waiting, for your modern messiah
To take away all the hatred
That darkens the light in your eye"
  -Disturbed, Liberate

stromboli

Quote from: Desdinova on February 02, 2015, 10:26:02 AM
No need to watch a video on this.  I can sum it up very nicely.  "Clusterfuck".

Hey, I'm having a good morning. Any time clusterfuck and christianity come together in the same post is a good thing.

Desdinova

Quote from: stromboli on February 02, 2015, 10:31:42 AM
Hey, I'm having a good morning. Any time clusterfuck and christianity come together in the same post is a good thing.

Glad I could help.   :lol:
"How long will we be
Waiting, for your modern messiah
To take away all the hatred
That darkens the light in your eye"
  -Disturbed, Liberate

Hijiri Byakuren

Yup, changed the world. Probably for the worse.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

PickelledEggs

Both videos this guy posted were from the same youtube channel and seemingly preached that Christianity changed the world for the better... Like humans were savages before it and the reason we aren't anymore is because of christianity.

I can put them back if the OP will introduce himself and convince us that he is not just spamming his youtube channel to us, because right now he seems like he is just doing unsolicited self promotion.