Man lawfully carrying gun gets tackled by frightened customer at Walmart.

Started by Valigarmander, January 25, 2015, 08:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valigarmander

Oh, and the man with the gun was black, and the assailant white. In case that's important.
QuoteThere is no shortage of debate about whether allowing citizens to carry concealed guns makes society safer. You may be shocked to learn that the answer could depend in part on the color of a citizen's skin.

Exhibit A this week, from Florida: A surveillance video from a Walmart located near Tampa shows 62-year-old Clarence Daniels trying to enter the store to purchase some coffee creamer for his wife this past Tuesday. He barely steps through the automatic doors before he is pummeled by shopper Michael Foster, a 43-year-old white man.

"He's got a gun!" Foster shouts, to which Daniels replies, "I have a permit!"

According to local news reports, Foster originally spotted Daniels in the store's parking lot placing his legally owned handgun underneath his coat. In keeping with Florida's well-known vigilante spirit, Foster decided to take matters into his own hands by following Daniels into the Walmart. Without warning, he tackled Daniels and placed him in a chokehold.

Police soon arrived and confirmed Daniels indeed had a permit for the handgun.

"Unfortunately, he tackled a guy that was a law-abiding citizen," said Larry McKinnon, a police spokesperson. "We understand it's alarming for people to see other people with guns, but Florida has a large population of concealed weapons permit holders."

Foster is now facing battery charges.

aitm

People who have permits to carry will soon be required to wear a certain color shirt when carrying. But i admit, I have a good deal of admiration and respect for a person willing to tackle one with a gun without knowing their intentions. Mixed reactions there eh?
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Shiranu

This is one of the few cases where I will say carrying a gun in public was probably warranted; if I was a black man in Florida, I would probably be packing too.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

hrdlr110

The guy that tackled him didn't have a gun. The element of surprise trumps a gun most every time.
I'd be a bit panicked seeing guns everywhere and knowing that having a gun is, instead of a privilege, is a right, which means there are people with guns that shouldn't have them, period.
Q for theists; how can there be freewill and miracles? And, how can prayer exist in an environment as regimented as "gods plan"?

"I'm a polyatheist, there are many gods I don't believe in." - Dan Fouts

Jason78

Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Desdinova

Ever notice this shit always happens at Walmart?  It's like once you go through those doors you've stepped into a world that's a cross between Honey Boo Boo and the Twilight Zone.
"How long will we be
Waiting, for your modern messiah
To take away all the hatred
That darkens the light in your eye"
  -Disturbed, Liberate

The Skeletal Atheist

Quote from: Desdinova on January 26, 2015, 03:27:19 PM
Ever notice this shit always happens at Walmart?  It's like once you go through those doors you've stepped into a world that's a cross between Honey Boo Boo and the Twilight Zone.
As maintenance at Wal-Mart I can assure you this is accurate.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

Jason Harvestdancer

White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Solitary

Really?  With everyone so paranoid they need a gun, right?    :biggrin2:  :police: Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hijiri Byakuren

Oh joy, another gun thread. I'm sure this will be a productive and enlightening conversation.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Jason Harvestdancer

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on January 27, 2015, 09:38:01 AM
Oh joy, another gun thread. I'm sure this will be a productive and enlightening conversation.

It was either that or a thread about racism.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!