News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Mars One

Started by SNP1, February 18, 2015, 01:31:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SNP1

Now that the Mars One mission is down to 700 finalists, I think it is a good time to ask this question. Do you think that religion should play a part in who gets chosen? Do you think atheists should have some priority for being sent to Mars?

I have heard some people say that religion should stay on Earth, and that we should send only atheists to Mars for the Mars One mission.

I have heard others say that religion will play a crucial part with the dangers that will be faced during the Mars One mission.

What is your opinion?
"My only agenda, if one can call it that, is the pursuit of truth" ~AoSS

dtq123

Why should us good atheists die? 
Let the theists go!
Broadcast their lives on national television!
A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

Jason78

Quote from: SNP1 on February 18, 2015, 01:31:24 PM
Do you think that religion should play a part in who gets chosen? Do you think atheists should have some priority for being sent to Mars?

No, and no.

The people that are picked should be picked on their merits. 
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

kilodelta

Yeah. It should be based on merits. Though, it'd be interesting to see how an Islamic fellow would try to pray towards Mecca...
Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

Atheon

Quote from: SNP1 on February 18, 2015, 01:31:24 PMDo you think that religion should play a part in who gets chosen? Do you think atheists should have some priority for being sent to Mars?
I say send all the fundies to Mars.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

SGOS

This reminds me of the movie, Contact, where only one human could be sent in the machine to meet the aliens, and there was this huge political debate about whether that person needed to believe in God.  As ridiculous as that part of the movie was, I think it managed to capture the political folly that is the essence of mankind today.  Rob Lowe excels at nailing the sleazy evangelical, bullying the process, and puffing himself up as someone overly intoxicated with a belief in his own importance.

GSOgymrat

Mars One is completely unrealistic. I can't take it seriously.

Youssuf Ramadan

Quote from: Atheon on February 20, 2015, 08:35:28 AM
I say send all the fundies to Mars.

This gets my vote!   :super:

Hydra009

Quote from: SNP1 on February 18, 2015, 01:31:24 PMI have heard some people say that religion should stay on Earth
I'm not at all convinced it's a good fit for Earth, either.

Desdinova

"How long will we be
Waiting, for your modern messiah
To take away all the hatred
That darkens the light in your eye"
  -Disturbed, Liberate

stromboli

They did an episode of the Simpsons where they convinced everyone the world was going to end and then had a group of celebrities board a rocket to escape earth, along with Homer and Bart. Turned out to be a bogus deal to get rid of people they didn't want- Rosie O'Donnell comes to mind- and sent them into the sun.

Something similar might be of use now. Get the republicans on a rocket headed for Mars by way of the Andromeda galaxy, for example.

Munch

Quote from: stromboli on February 20, 2015, 04:37:59 PM

Something similar might be of use now. Get the republicans on a rocket headed for Mars by way of the Andromeda galaxy, for example.

I still don't like the idea of spreading out republican and christian mentality across the cosmos like that. Last thing I ever want for any other intelligent life out there is to be confronted by orange skinned waxworks and child molesters as representing our race.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

trdsf

Quote from: SNP1 on February 18, 2015, 01:31:24 PM
I have heard others say that religion will play a crucial part with the dangers that will be faced during the Mars One mission.

Well, I wish them all the luck in the world trying to pray away an air leak.  I think sending a fundamentalist -- anyone who lets their religious opinion trump science and observation -- of any stripe would be a mistake.  Other than that, well, there are plenty of scientists who have religious beliefs, and are able to keep the two magisteria from overlapping.  No objection to religious people going, as long as they're not going just to be the voice of religion.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cocoa Beware

They are going to use their imaginations to rocket themselves to Mars and literally believe it really happened like Calvin and Hobbes.

stromboli

There was this British sci fi movie in the 50's about an alien creature that took over a chemical plant. They tried to kill it by pumping some kind of chemical into the plant. The monster countered by stuffing human bodies into the pipes. Might work with fundies. Spring a leak, stuff a fundie into it.