News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

He blew me away with ridiculousness...

Started by AspiringParagon, March 02, 2013, 11:33:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AspiringParagon

So here I was, on a website arguing with religious fundies claiming science is false or lesser than their religion when (all of a sudden) some religious guy chimes in with this:

"A Darwinian atheistic evolutionary mythology borrowed its deity to ancient pagan cult, Natural selection was called Ama-No-Uzume ????? in Shinto Mythology which just like Darwinism deify nature and the creatures giving them sorcerous powers. Japanese had no? problem in converting to the new adaptation of their own mythological beliefs."

o_O

It's...it's like the crown jewel of ridiculous and baseless claims. I was, for a moment, too surprised by this new (to me) and dangerously out of touch claim. Google couldn't give me the source religious-propaganda site for this stunning work of delusion. Have any of you heard this one? Where does their sprint away from reality end?

Thumpalumpacus

I've seen similar claims, but never attributed to Shintoism.  It's related to the trope that "science is a religion too".
<insert witty aphorism here>

AspiringParagon

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"I've seen similar claims, but never attributed to Shintoism.  It's related to the trope that "science is a religion too".

I'm still reeling from that man's comment. Just when I thought I heard them all...

Hydra009

ratzu

I worked tech support for over 5 years. No amount of stupidity shocks me anymore.
YOU STAY CLASSY INTERNET

Teaspoon Shallow

I like to approach people like this with questions phrased like: "Thank you for your comment, I found it quite interesting.  I am not familiar with it, have you got some sources so I can look into it further?"

I don't debate what is unknown.  I study it first.

AspiringParagon

Quote from: "Hydra009"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ame-no-Uzume-no-Mikoto

Struggling to see the part where natural selection is mentioned...

Thought the same thing when I researched her. Just...ugh.

AspiringParagon

Quote from: "ratzu"I worked tech support for over 5 years. No amount of stupidity shocks me anymore.

Fair enough. xD

AspiringParagon

Quote from: "Teaspoon Shallow"I like to approach people like this with questions phrased like: "Thank you for your comment, I found it quite interesting.  I am not familiar with it, have you got some sources so I can look into it further?"

I don't debate what is unknown.  I study it first.

I actually did try to research any and all relevant info to the topic. Unsurprisingly, the effort yielded nothing supporting this man's outlandish claim...as well as a lack of any info indicating this was ever a argument in the first place. I think he pulled it out of his ass.

Farroc

[s:nqu974kt]WHAT DO YOU WANT WITH US OH STRANGE ASPIRINGPARAGON!?!??![/s:nqu974kt]
I mean...Welcome to the forums and whatnot! How did you make a thread with less than ten posts?
"The idea of getting a, y\'know, syringe full of heroin and shooting it in the vein under my cock right now seems like almost a productive act." -Bill Hicks

ratzu

QuoteHow did you make a thread with less than ten posts?

That threw me off at first too.
YOU STAY CLASSY INTERNET

DunkleSeele

Quote from: "ratzu"
QuoteHow did you make a thread with less than ten posts?

That threw me off at first too.
It's not the first time something like this happens.
I notified the moderators about the other thread, but apparently nothing has changed.

leo

Science a religion ? Fuck people are stupid .
Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

ratzu

QuoteScience a religion ? Fuck people are stupid .

like calling bald a hair color
YOU STAY CLASSY INTERNET

AspiringParagon

Quote from: "Farroc"[s:bhwid4en]WHAT DO YOU WANT WITH US OH STRANGE ASPIRINGPARAGON!?!??![/s:bhwid4en]
I mean...Welcome to the forums and whatnot! How did you make a thread with less than ten posts?

lol

And there is a ten post requirement? O.O  Apparently not anymore.