News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Were does morality come from ?

Started by pauluk3, January 22, 2015, 01:57:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

antediluvian

It comes from the morality gene.  Some genes are better than others, thus the really immoral and somewhat immoral.
I always wondered why having balls was equated with "strength".  Balls are sensitive and delicate, actually.   Better to grow a vagina.  Those things can take a pounding - and pop out a live human being the size of a watermelon.

SGOS

Two morality spammers at the same time.  It's like neither one of them ever considered morality until the night before last, so they both show up at the same time with a "whataya think of them apples" approach.  Is it possible they think atheists have never considered morality and ethics before?  Most of the time the question is posed like they've just had some brilliant insight that knocked them for a loop, and they think, "This will stop them atheist pricks in their tracks." 

Sheesh, waiting for theists to come here with something interesting to discuss is like going to McDonalds, thinking you might find something new and exciting for dinner.

Aroura33

If I had a dollar for every time I saw this question posed by a theist (thinking they are oh so clever) I wouldn't be rich, but I'd have a nice little nest egg!
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy

PickelledEggs

Question: Does anyone else think of the rehabilitation scene from A Clockwork Orange when they have christians argue that the reason we don't do bad things is because god tells us not to?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uEJRmoIDVc

trdsf

Morality comes from Kroger's.  You get it in the breakfast cereal section; it comes in a box.

Oh, wait.  That's muesli.  Sorry.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

JohnnyB1993

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on March 06, 2015, 10:32:46 AM
From that person's point of view, yes.

Ok.  When you say 'from that person's view' I assume you mean that murder is only subjectively right within that individual's mind.  You clearly stated that 'if no one is around to teach us we thus learn morality by what we can get away with'.  To say 'from that person's point of view', it seems to me that you think murder is actually objectively wrong.  So that implies that your original statement is wrong.  It does NOT matter whether or not there is no one around to teach us morality, because some things in this word such as murder are actually wrong.  Why did you originally say that our morality depends on who teaches us and what we can get away with?

Youssuf Ramadan

Quote from: JohnnyB1993 on March 06, 2015, 05:53:30 AM
2.  My point, however, absolutely has to deal with the "no one is around to teach us" part.   IF no one is around to teach us and we thus learn morality by what we can get away with, then does that mean murder under these circumstance become acceptable?

If nobody else is around at all, then the question is void. 

If you came into contact with other humans in a society then your 'morality' might have a sudden, possibly terminal, rearrangement based on the moral code of that society.

Moral codes can 'change', temporarily or permanently, subject to personal threat.  Witness the amount of prisoners whose morals, regarding such things as race and religion particularly, can 'change' in order to earn the protection of 'the gang' and save the individual from immediate danger from others.

I guess being conscripted and sent off to war might have a similar outcome.

Bottom line is that morality has wheels based on circumstances.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: JohnnyB1993 on March 07, 2015, 05:33:20 AMYou clearly stated that 'if no one is around to teach us we thus learn morality by what we can get away with'.
Sal1981 said that, not me.

Quote from: JohnnyB1993 on March 07, 2015, 05:33:20 AMTo say 'from that person's point of view', it seems to me that you think murder is actually objectively wrong.
Actually, I don't think murder is objectively wrong, because it's pretty easy to prove that all morality is subjective. If all morality is subjective, then consequently it all boils down to our point of view. At the end of the day, the only way to enforce any sort of moral code is through a form of "might makes right." That's why every society that has ever existed has had some form of law enforcement.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

JohnnyB1993

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on March 07, 2015, 09:09:29 AM
Sal1981 said that, not me.
Actually, I don't think murder is objectively wrong, because it's pretty easy to prove that all morality is subjective. If all morality is subjective, then consequently it all boils down to our point of view. At the end of the day, the only way to enforce any sort of moral code is through a form of "might makes right." That's why every society that has ever existed has had some form of law enforcement.

Im sorry.  I misquoted you.  My bad.  Just a quick question out of curiosity then, do you think this statement is true? 'It is always wrong for anyone to torture babies to death merely for their own personal pleasure'. 
Thanks.

SGOS

Quote from: JohnnyB1993 on March 08, 2015, 07:05:27 AM
Just a quick question out of curiosity then, do you think this statement is true? 'It is always wrong for anyone to torture babies to death merely for their own personal pleasure'. 
Thanks.
Hmmm.  Well, duh, I wonder!  This thread is becoming a stupid waste of time.  Where do these deep thinkers come from?

JohnnyB1993

Quote from: SGOS on March 08, 2015, 08:05:30 AM
Hmmm.  Well, duh, I wonder!  This thread is becoming a stupid waste of time.  Where do these deep thinkers come from?

Its a simple question.  The answer is either yes or no.

Jason78

That's some great black and white thinking you've got going on there.  And as we all know, moral issues are always either right or wrong, there's never any grey areas at all.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

aitm

Quote'It is always wrong for anyone to torture babies to death merely for their own personal pleasure'

As the story goes, there is a supposed higher power that started all the torturing in the history of humanity by slowly drowning men, women, children and babies, and as it took several days, one must come to the understanding that if this god did not want to slowly torture all these humans and if indeed he was as all powerful as he says he is, he could have simply wished the humans into non-existence.

But as his actions took some time and much misery and pain to inflict one must conclude that he enjoyed it. So at least we know that this god believes it is acceptable to toture babies for personal enjoyment.

Therefore the correct conclusion is to believe that if this creature is the giver of all morality then the believers as well would believe that torturing babies for fun is perfectly acceptable.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

SGOS

Quote from: JohnnyB1993 on March 08, 2015, 07:05:27 AM
do you think this statement is true? 'It is always wrong for anyone to torture babies to death merely for their own personal pleasure'. 
Thanks.
Has the torture been sanctioned by God?  Will the torture of the baby result in the conversion of an apostate?  Will dental instruments be used?  Are the parents gay?

undercoverbrother

Quote from: Jason78 on March 08, 2015, 09:07:45 AM
That's some great black and white thinking you've got going on there.  And as we all know, moral issues are always either right or wrong, there's never any grey areas at all.

Most bibles are black. That is why Christianity is stupid. Can we debate something else other than Christianity now?