News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Were does morality come from ?

Started by pauluk3, January 22, 2015, 01:57:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pauluk3

Hi everyone

I have just being listening to the fuel project and really enjoying the series, great teaching. I would love to hear some feedback regarding the below video, were does morality come from ?, its really short about 10 min, let me know your thoughts.

click the link or youtube , the fuel project - where morality comes from

*removed personal link* -PickelledEggs

aitm

Sorry, not going to spend 10 minutes on something pretty obvious. "Morality" is taught to us by someone. If no one is around to teach us, we learn morality by what we can get away with and what brings us pain so we don't do it again. We then exhibit this behavior around others and it is accepted or declined wherein we either change to meet their demands or go on our way, or subject to their punishment or punish them to meet ours.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

doorknob

OK after 51 seconds I'm done watching this.

I don't need more preaching or brain washing thanks. I know where my morality comes from and it isn't god. God would be the last place I look for morals.

stromboli

Thank you for bringing us that highly biased video. Now pay attention, I'm going to spell this out to you so that you can understand it, in case you are a christian and a little slow on the uptake.

Morality existed before the concept of the judeo/christian god. The first codexes of law- which infer a moral code in application between people in a society- was the Codex Ur Mammu, dated 1800 BCE
http://realhistoryww.com/world_history/ancient/Misc/Sumer/ur_nammu_law.htm

Followed by the Codex Hammurabi, dated 1754 BCE These are all essentially pre-Judaic. Most scholars agree that the concept of the 10 commandments came from these. The Exodus is Judaic myth and didn't happen, so we find it highly unlikely that Moses went on top of a mountain and had them delivered.

Also, the 10 commandments is lacking in what we would now call moral behavior. It doesn't mention rape, the keeping of slaves and punishes by death such things as not partaking of the sabbath.

Note also that other cultures have moral societies that were never touched by the judeo-christian god; i.e. pagan.

The basis of morality is based on the common understanding between people in a society that certain behavior is destructive and therefore not allowed. It is no more difficult than that. Finally, an article on secular morality:

http://www.atheismandthecity.com/2013/02/a-case-for-secular-morality-objective.html

Note that countries in the modern world and states in the United States that are heavily religious have the highest percentages of rape and robbery and also lower percentages of literacy and higher percentages of poverty. The states that are more secular have better standards of literacy and lower crime. Countries like Norway, Belgium and Finland have much lower percentages of abortion-which is free- and much higher literacy rates.

And no, I'm not going to give you references. You can look it up for yourself.

Gawdzilla Sama

Chimps act morally. They learn that obligations met result in benefits. This doesn't need a god.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Munch

Remember stromboli, trying to explain anything outside of the bubble that Christians create within their faith they percieve as not being real, because its not contained within their sphere. Nothing existed before god made it, so any of these other 'cultures' the history books made up doesn't have any truth to these claims.

This has been another thinking like G-man production.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Mr.Obvious

Before we discuss morals, how about we discuss manners?
It's good manners to read and follow the instructions a new forum you visit for the first time. So; write an introduction or something. And post at least ten comments before you make a thread outside of the part of the forum designated for newbies to introduce themselves. Please.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

stromboli

Quote from: Munch on January 22, 2015, 06:17:31 PM
Remember stromboli, trying to explain anything outside of the bubble that Christians create within their faith they percieve as not being real, because its not contained within their sphere. Nothing existed before god made it, so any of these other 'cultures' the history books made up doesn't have any truth to these claims.

This has been another thinking like G-man production.

Yeah I know. I'm wasting my time by trying to 'splain shit.

Mermaid

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on January 22, 2015, 06:11:53 PM
Chimps act morally. They learn that obligations met result in benefits. This doesn't need a god.
You don't know that there isn't a chimp god.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Sal1981

Morality is the result of people interacting, which in turn is codified. No god (or other outside source) needed.

Munch

Quote from: Sal1981 on January 23, 2015, 06:57:27 AM
Morality is the result of people interacting, which in turn is codified. No god (or other outside source) needed.

pretty much this. Morals and its standards have been forever shifting generation to generation. They would have called it moral at one time to have your slaves given housing, though the fact of having a slave flat out didn't cross peoples minds back then as a bad thing.

stromboli

Our OP hasn't identified himself or commented further, which makes me think he is a christian. Not sure what the intent was, except maybe to baffle us, or something. He doesn't get that we are the smart ones.

Munch

Quote from: stromboli on January 23, 2015, 09:02:58 AM
Our OP hasn't identified himself or commented further, which makes me think he is a christian. Not sure what the intent was, except maybe to baffle us, or something. He doesn't get that we are the smart ones.

As I've also said, in my house, its considered polite manners to introduce yourself to people before saying something about your interests or self. Apparently jebus doesn't teach polite introduction to the masses. 

Jason78

Hey pauluk3.  Welcome to the forum.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato