5 year old shoots infant in the head

Started by PickelledEggs, January 19, 2015, 10:44:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aroura33

I love reading you guys having a rational discussion, then one person makes a (well deserved) sarcastic comment about the incident.  Then the gun lover comes in, finds the one sarcastic comment, and summarily dismisses the entire thread, including some great points by people like Mr. Obvious.

Shame on you Johan.  Seriously. 

Permits? hahahahah.  You know how old I was when my mom gave me my first gun?  9.  It was a lightweight .22 made for girls.  She taught me and my brother from the time we could hold guns, practically.  My father, he hates guns, but mom was a traditional rural girl, and a crack shot to boot.  Actually, I used to be a damn good shot myself. But she kept all the rifles on a gunrack locked up with a bicycle lock, so none of us could get at them easily.

All the same, my brother, when he was 8, took his friend out back to target shoot once with his BB gun (thank TFSM), and his friend accidently shot him in the eye!  I remember playing out front with my cousin, when my mother (a normally very solid woman, not prone to hysterics), came running out the door, stuffed my brother into the car, crying and hollering for my dad, who came out right after with the visiting boy.  They all got in the car and LEFT.  They didn't even tell me what the hell was going on.  My aunt came out a few minutes later and explained, and took care of me until that evening.

The doctors said my brother had very little chance to keep his sight in that eye.  He had to stay perfectly still in bed with a patch on for I don't remember how long. It seemed like forever.  That first night my mom just cried a lot.  I couldn't sleep and was super distressed, and caused my first ever sleep paralysis episode.  I thought God was taking me in exchange for giving my brother his sight back (since I'd been praying so hard).

My brother was very lucky and recovered fully, against the odds.  And you know what?  We didn't blame guns, and I don't blame my mom for being irresponsible.  It was just bad luck with a dangerous toy gun that half the kids we knew owned.

Whenever my brother and I watch a Christmas Story, he laughs at the "You're gonna shoot your eye out!" chants. But only because he was damn lucky!

So no, when a 5 year old kills an infant on accident, it shouldn't become the platform of the gun nut to defend the situation.  But it always is.

I agree withMr. Obvious.  Like driving a car, you should have to take a class and pass a test before you get your liscence, and different kinds of guns should require different training.  Want to hunt?  Fine, fabulous, that is your god given right I guess, but just show us you aren't a moron first. But it won't ever happen here in America, the land god gave to us, because that would be infringing on our creator granted freedoms.  Pffft.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy

Johan

1. I'm not a gun lover.
2. Shame on me? Boo fucking hoo.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Aroura33 on January 20, 2015, 12:54:34 PM
I love reading you guys having a rational discussion, then one person makes a (well deserved) sarcastic comment about the incident.  Then the gun lover comes in, finds the one sarcastic comment, and summarily dismisses the entire thread, including some great points by people like Mr. Obvious.

Shame on you Johan.  Seriously. 

Permits? hahahahah.  You know how old I was when my mom gave me my first gun?  9.  It was a lightweight .22 made for girls.  She taught me and my brother from the time we could hold guns, practically.  My father, he hates guns, but mom was a traditional rural girl, and a crack shot to boot.  Actually, I used to be a damn good shot myself. But she kept all the rifles on a gunrack locked up with a bicycle lock, so none of us could get at them easily.

All the same, my brother, when he was 8, took his friend out back to target shoot once with his BB gun (thank TFSM), and his friend accidently shot him in the eye!  I remember playing out front with my cousin, when my mother (a normally very solid woman, not prone to hysterics), came running out the door, stuffed my brother into the car, crying and hollering for my dad, who came out right after with the visiting boy.  They all got in the car and LEFT.  They didn't even tell me what the hell was going on.  My aunt came out a few minutes later and explained, and took care of me until that evening.

The doctors said my brother had very little chance to keep his sight in that eye.  He had to stay perfectly still in bed with a patch on for I don't remember how long. It seemed like forever.  That first night my mom just cried a lot.  I couldn't sleep and was super distressed, and caused my first ever sleep paralysis episode.  I thought God was taking me in exchange for giving my brother his sight back (since I'd been praying so hard).

My brother was very lucky and recovered fully, against the odds.  And you know what?  We didn't blame guns, and I don't blame my mom for being irresponsible.  It was just bad luck with a dangerous toy gun that half the kids we knew owned.

Whenever my brother and I watch a Christmas Story, he laughs at the "You're gonna shoot your eye out!" chants. But only because he was damn lucky!

So no, when a 5 year old kills an infant on accident, it shouldn't become the platform of the gun nut to defend the situation.  But it always is.

I agree withMr. Obvious.  Like driving a car, you should have to take a class and pass a test before you get your liscence, and different kinds of guns should require different training.  Want to hunt?  Fine, fabulous, that is your god given right I guess, but just show us you aren't a moron first. But it won't ever happen here in America, the land god gave to us, because that would be infringing on our creator granted freedoms.  Pffft.

LOL I was thinking the exact thing.

"There is a problem? FUCK!! No one can fix it! And FUCK YOU for trying, you ASSHOLES"

Why can't we use these discussions constructively? Not all of us have an answer to these types of things. I sure as hell don't. I live in a suburban area of NJ and other than in a cops holster while he's helping me across the street or direct traffic, I haven't even seen a gun. All I do see is tragedy upon tragedy like this.

For a bunch of critical thinkers, you sure do bury your heads in the sand and fall back to a hard-grained belief that nothing can be done. When there most likely is something that can be done and a way about doing it. What is it? IDK. That is why we have these discussions... at least that's why I like to have these discussions.

AllPurposeAtheist

Hey, if you're a gun lover I always suggest fucking yourself with one and use it as intended, up your ass or twat.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Hydra009

Quote from: PickelledEggs on January 20, 2015, 09:38:43 PMFor a bunch of critical thinkers, you sure do bury your heads in the sand and fall back to a hard-grained belief that nothing can be done. When there most likely is something that can be done and a way about doing it. What is it? IDK. That is why we have these discussions... at least that's why I like to have these discussions.
And the really odd thing about the mentality is that we know for a fact that our gun situation can be improved because we've watched other countries improve theirs.  How anyone can still maintain this mentality that nothing can be done is beyond me.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 21, 2015, 01:11:27 AM
And the really odd thing about the mentality is that we know for a fact that our gun situation can be improved because we've watched other countries improve theirs.  How anyone can still maintain this mentality that nothing can be done is beyond me.
Exactly.

Jmpty

‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens
NEWS IN BRIEF • Guns • Violence • News • ISSUE 50•21 • May 27, 2014
Facebook235.8KTwitter19.9KGoogle Plus1.7K

ISLA VISTA, CAâ€"In the days following a violent rampage in southern California in which a lone attacker killed seven individuals, including himself, and seriously injured over a dozen others, citizens living in the only country where this kind of mass killing routinely occurs reportedly concluded Tuesday that there was no way to prevent the massacre from taking place. “This was a terrible tragedy, but sometimes these things just happen and there’s nothing anyone can do to stop them,” said North Carolina resident Samuel Wipper, echoing sentiments expressed by tens of millions of individuals who reside in a nation where over half of the world’s deadliest mass shootings have occurred in the past 50 years and whose citizens are 20 times more likely to die of gun violence than those of other developed nations. “It’s a shame, but what can we do? There really wasn’t anything that was going to keep this guy from snapping and killing a lot of people if that’s what he really wanted.” At press time, residents of the only economically advanced nation in the world where roughly two mass shootings have occurred every month for the past five years were referring to themselves and their situation as “helpless.”
???  ??

The Skeletal Atheist

Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: The Skeletal Atheist on January 20, 2015, 11:37:06 AM
Permit? To own a gun? Lol.
It's easier to get a gun than a driver's license. The Y-donor bought several handguns after he was diagnosed with full-blown ALZ. We asked the local gun shops to stop selling him guns but they refused, said it was his right to buy them no matter what. So I dressed up in a boiler suit, carried a machete, and wore a goalie's mask, and went in to buy a guy. They didn't blink.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Berati

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 20, 2015, 04:54:28 AM
Fearful that gun legislation is going to come down hard on them.  So they stock up.  And some of them become news articles.  And then sane people consider more restrictive gun legislation.  So, they get fearful that gun legislation is going to come down hard on them.  So they stock up...

And as a side note, we're roughly 90 guns per 100 residents.  If guns were healthcare, we'd be Canada right now.
Fearful is the right word.
I saw a documentary on gun nuts and one old dude says he never answers the door without his gun in hand because "ya never know". He doesn't need a gun, he needs therapy.
Carl Sagan
"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

Johan

Quote from: PickelledEggs on January 20, 2015, 09:38:43 PM

Why can't we use these discussions constructively?

Constructively? When was the last time a discussion on an internet forum resulted in real world legislation?

Also what is constructive about this?
QuoteSo.. urm, does that mean gun owners will now want more guns to protect from five year olds now?
Or this?
QuoteWell.. If the infant had been armed with a gun he/she could have stopped the gunkid in his tracks..
Or this?
QuoteHey, if you're a gun lover I always suggest fucking yourself with one and use it as intended, up your ass or twat.

I am not a gun lover. I own and use guns. If and when I no longer have a need to do so, I will no longer own them. They're tools to me and nothing more. I have said many times in these discussions that I believe guns should be tightly regulated. I have also said many times that I believe registered gun owners should face murder charges anytime the unsecure storage of the weapon leads to someone else getting their hands on it and killing another with it.

But let me ask you, what the fuck is the point of trying to have that discussion with a bunch of people who respond by saying I should fuck myself up the ass? Shame on me? Go fuck yourselves.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Solitary

When I was 12 I got a 22 rifle and loved killing things with it and eating them, or just for the fun of it, until I grew up, and I argued with all of my friends about being safer without guns around, until my best friend shot and killed his wife, another two that shot themselves  dead, another one that shot his sister-in-law accidently and killed with a 12 gauge shot gun when she forgot her keys and tapped on the window of his bedroom. We have a right to have guns, but no way in hell are they making us safer. Hypotheticals used as evidence for having a gun to be safe are bad arguments when faced with the facts. Sure there are cases where a gun has protected someone, and in big cities it is a good idea to carry a gun, but even then, if someone wants to kill you with a gun, that gun is not going to protect you unless you are a quick draw artist and have combat experience. The police all carry a gun, how many get killed every day now?  Guns are made for killing---I don't need any people dead from a gun I own and have to live with it---I already have my cross to carry thinking of loved ones without a daddy or mommy. :sad:
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Johan on January 23, 2015, 11:02:36 PM
Constructively? When was the last time a discussion on an internet forum resulted in real world legislation?

IDK. I don't belong to every single forum on the internet. We are real people, aren't we? There is zero reason that brainstorming a solution to a problem in an internet forum can't result in the real people typing the posts to make real world results.

Johan

And the bashing? The fuck yourself up the ass with your gun comments? Why am I the asshole if I don't see the point in subjecting myself to that? Again, shame on me? Really?

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Johan on January 24, 2015, 12:41:15 AM
And the bashing? The fuck yourself up the ass with your gun comments? Why am I the asshole if I don't see the point in subjecting myself to that? Again, shame on me? Really?
Johan. what are you talking about? I was simply rebutting your comment on why it can't be done with why I say talking about it can do something.I didn't say anything about fucking someone up the ass with a gun. Look again at who is saying what and calm down.