5 year old shoots infant in the head

Started by PickelledEggs, January 19, 2015, 10:44:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PickelledEggs

QuoteELMO, Mo. â€" The Nodaway County Sheriff's Office is investigating an accidental shooting that killed an infant boy Monday morning.
Shortly before 9 a.m., authorities received a phone call from the child's mother, 24-year-old Alexis Wiederholt, stating that she believed her 5-year-old son unintentionally shot her 9-month-old son in the head with a paintball gun. Deputies and regional law enforcement later determined the child was shot with a .22-caliber magnum revolver.
"The mother said she wasn't in the room, but she heard a pop and saw a paintball gun, so at first that's what she thought it was," said Sheriff Darren White. "Then when she went into the room, she found the other handgun that was laying there."
The mother and her four children were home at the time of the shooting. The baby was flown from the scene to Children's Mercy Hospital in Kansas City, where he was pronounced dead.
Elmo, a town of less than 200 residents that sits about 24 miles northwest of Maryville, was quiet in the late morning hours. The white, two story home on South Scott Street also appeared undisturbed.
Mr. White said circumstances surrounding the infant's death is tragically common in rural areas.
"People would be shocked if they knew how many homes there are all over the world where there are guns, whether that be handguns or long guns, that are laying accessible to young children," he said.
The incident remains under investigation. No foul play was suspected in the "accidental shooting," Mr. White said, but the sheriff notified Nodaway County Prosecuting Attorney Robert Rice of the situation.
Mr. Rice is awaiting final reports from law enforcement to determine if any charges may be filed in the child's death. No one was in custody as of Monday afternoon.

http://www.newspressnow.com/news/local_news/article_14af70ab-a177-5e4a-a7ec-4900b8ada072.html

I just don't know anymore....

Is there a law that puts the owner of the gun, the person it's registered to at fault in a case like this? There is no responsibility or caution with these dumb-as-shit parents.

hrdlr110

Should be child negligence. They should lose their permits to own guns, and be prevented from having more children.
Q for theists; how can there be freewill and miracles? And, how can prayer exist in an environment as regimented as "gods plan"?

"I'm a polyatheist, there are many gods I don't believe in." - Dan Fouts

PickelledEggs

Quote from: hrdlr110 on January 19, 2015, 11:25:49 PM
Should be child negligence. They should lose their permits to own guns, and be prevented from having more children.
Something has to be done. It's obvious that there are too many careless people that can gain access to guns.

hrdlr110

Quote from: PickelledEggs on January 19, 2015, 11:29:36 PM
Something has to be done. It's obvious that there are too many careless people that can gain access to guns.

Clearly obvious to all the wrong people tho. Incidents like this only serve drive gun sales higher rather than help the cause. Everybody is fearful of this being the straw that broke the camels back, and suddenly gun legislation will occur nationwide.
Q for theists; how can there be freewill and miracles? And, how can prayer exist in an environment as regimented as "gods plan"?

Munch

Quote from: hrdlr110 on January 19, 2015, 11:35:21 PM
Clearly obvious to all the wrong people tho. Incidents like this only serve drive gun sales higher rather than help the cause. Everybody is fearful of this being the straw that broke the camels back, and suddenly gun legislation will occur nationwide.

So.. urm, does that mean gun owners will now want more guns to protect from five year olds now?
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on January 20, 2015, 03:56:52 AM
So.. urm, does that mean gun owners will now want more guns to protect from five year olds now?
Fearful that gun legislation is going to come down hard on them.  So they stock up.  And some of them become news articles.  And then sane people consider more restrictive gun legislation.  So, they get fearful that gun legislation is going to come down hard on them.  So they stock up...

And as a side note, we're roughly 90 guns per 100 residents.  If guns were healthcare, we'd be Canada right now.

Mr.Obvious

http://youtu.be/VCkFSe3voRc

Now if you want zo much to defend The right to bear arms, fine. I'm not against The right to own guns. Not per se. But it is something potentially dangerous. Not anyone sane can deny The dangers of irresponsible gunownership. So, is there any argument at all against making your ability to handle guns dependent on The results of a test? Like; you have the right to drive a car, but you still gotta prove you actually can.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Johan

Quote from: Munch on January 20, 2015, 03:56:52 AM
And once again I was hoping that a rational discussion of the actual issue and practical ways to solve it might ensue. And once again I see I was foolish to ever expect that people would be capable of such a thing. When will I learn? Moving on.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

hrdlr110

Quote from: Johan on January 20, 2015, 07:00:43 AM
And once again I was hoping that a rational discussion of the actual issue and practical ways to solve it might ensue. And once again I see I was foolish to ever expect that people would be capable of such a thing. When will I learn? Moving on.

Enlighten us then, just what is the issue? My issue is that these irresponsible gun owners that shoot somebody is a driving force behind increased gun sales. This is a fact, and should be considered a viable component to YOUR issue, because it happens! Gun ownership should be a priviledge, not a right! That's my issue.

SGOS

I had a collection of guns, rifles, a shotgun, and a 44 mag pistol for many years.  I have never had a permit for any gun.  And none were ever required.

doorknob

how the hell does a five year old get a gun? Neglectful parents that's the only way.

Not only this but something smells fishy to me. The story doesn't quite add up? Why did she report a paint gun if it was a hand gun? You're saying she called and didn't even look first to make sure it wasn't a false alarm? Many things sound like a gun and aren't.

Solitary

How can there be a rational argument about a small child with a gun shooting an infant in the head? Are we suppose to be that cold blooded? What is so rational about owning a gun that is made to kill?
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

AllPurposeAtheist

Well.. If the infant had been armed with a gun he/she could have stopped the gunkid in his tracks..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

The Skeletal Atheist

Permit? To own a gun? Lol.

In my state you need only be 18 to get a rifle or a shotgun, and 21 to own a handgun. The only permit I need is if I want to carry a pistol around in public. I could technically walk down street with a rifle on my back without any permit as long as it's unloaded.

Getting the permit to carry a concealed weapon is as easy as buying the gun: I go through a background check, pay a fine, and BAM! I have a permit.

As per the type of firearm I can own without a permit: anything as long as it's not fully automatic or explosive. Getting the permit for that is harder, but not as hard as you think, at least in Georgia. Go to the police station, background check, full out federal forms, pay fine, wait, get permit.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

PickelledEggs

Quote from: The Skeletal Atheist on January 20, 2015, 11:37:06 AM
Permit? To own a gun? Lol.

In my state you need only be 18 to get a rifle or a shotgun, and 21 to own a handgun. The only permit I need is if I want to carry a pistol around in public. I could technically walk down street with a rifle on my back without any permit as long as it's unloaded.

Getting the permit to carry a concealed weapon is as easy as buying the gun: I go through a background check, pay a fine, and BAM! I have a permit.

As per the type of firearm I can own without a permit: anything as long as it's not fully automatic or explosive. Getting the permit for that is harder, but not as hard as you think, at least in Georgia. Go to the police station, background check, full out federal forms, pay fine, wait, get permit.