Hebdo Founder Thinks Editor Went To Far + Anti-Antisemitism Firing

Started by Shiranu, January 15, 2015, 03:06:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sal1981

Blaming free speech for using it, to me, is like blaming a victim for being, well, a victim.

Jason78

Quote from: DavidClark on January 20, 2015, 10:43:16 PM
Personally, I woudn't draw those cartoons either. I don't feel like having to watch over my back for the rest of my life. It ain't worth it.

Not drawing a cartoon of their prophet doesn't get you off their radar.  It just means your priority gets shifted down the list a bit.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Cocoa Beware

This incident has resulted in an epidemic of victim blaming... I cant digest how anyone considers the magazine was at fault.

What Hebdo did was legal, and what the extremists did was create a bloodbath, and that should be the end of the discussion.

Its as if people think these extremists cannot be held responsible because their stone age beliefs compel them to act like animals, and well... we need to be more respectful of these beliefs. Its our fault, not theirs, when they slaughter people who didnt actually do anything wrong, because well... we asked for it.

Whatever happened to our fucking balls anyways? We have taken plenty of risks defending freedom of expression for centuries, and now all of the sudden we are being guilted into rolling over in favor of an utterly incompatible and uncompromising system of values? Yes, lets have those with a truly bigoted belief system dictate to us, Im sure that will go well. Its painfully ironic that we would defend Islam in this way.

Id love to hear what kind of solution makes sense here from the "We cant blame the extremists" side of the argument.

That is, aside from making it illegal to slander Islam, because we have to cater to their supremacist ideology by cowing to death threats.

If we ever give in to the demands of extremists, they might very well get the idea they can simply threaten to kill people to get what they want, because we will be so hopelessly preoccupied with blaming ourselves ad nausea for daring to offend what is in fact a barbaric religion that has so many qualities that deserve our steadfast derision.