News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Gender Equality

Started by Aletheia, January 11, 2015, 01:02:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aletheia

Gender equality on a whole new level.

Quote from: Jakenessif you believe in the supernatural, you do not understand modern science. Period.

PickelledEggs

I'm assuming that the lady sitting down was yelling at the guy for "being a perv"? I don't understand what she is saying, but the exposure of double standards, especially when displayed back to back like that is universal. Good video. Personally, I don't think slapping is warranted in either person's case if it was a situation like that, but it is a common thing that you see and I'm glad they showed the double standard as clearly as they did.

Shiranu

I really don't get this obsession with equality meaning getting to hit women. Just really don't.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Shiranu on January 11, 2015, 01:32:54 AM
I really don't get this obsession with equality meaning getting to hit women. Just really don't.

Relax.
First of all, it was staged. It's a common stereotype for a woman to hit a guy when she is offended, right or wrong. No one, for the most part, bats an eye at it. But when a guy hits a girl over the same thing, it is a huge deal. Maybe you are looking at this wrong. Instead of looking at it as "guys should be able to hit women" look at it as "guys are still not allowed to hit women and maybe we should re-think the culturally acceptable-ness for women to hit men"

There are obvious reasons for someone to hit another person, which is when it is in self defense. If someone is in danger, man or woman, if it is necessary to hit the other person, man or woman, they shouldn't be looked down upon for it. If someone is in danger, they should be able to protect themself. Sometimes that means hitting. You see that a lot in domestic abuse cases where the woman is abusive, but the one time that the man defends himself and it happens to leave a mark, he gets sent to jail.... because he needed to protect himself from harm.

Shiranu

QuoteFirst of all, it was staged. It's a common stereotype for a woman to hit a guy when she is offended, right or wrong.

I must be sheltered, because I have never seen a woman hit a guy in real life. I have seen situations like were in the video quite often, and never a turn around and slap to the face.

And remarks weren't at so much this video, but just at the fact that any time gender equality is brought up, 90% of the comments on what ever it will be like, "Oh, then that means its okay to hit a woman then! Yay!".
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Aletheia

Shiranu, it's youtube: where half the time the videos are fake and the comments don't matter.

The fact that a woman slapping a man - whether in real life or in videos - is found to be even moderately acceptable, only encourages sexism against men. It's made worse by the fact that men slapping or hitting a woman, even in cases of self-defense, is considered contemptible by the same societies which consider the same actions acceptable for a woman to do. This is not only sexism, but a very unfair double standard.

Aside from your occasional idiot and the heaps of sarcasm, most people are in favor of not hitting or slapping anyone outside of defense of others or one's self, regardless of a person's gender.

I found the video amusing because it provides a visual reference to how silly this double standard truly is. 
Quote from: Jakenessif you believe in the supernatural, you do not understand modern science. Period.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Shiranu on January 11, 2015, 01:47:04 AM
I must be sheltered, because I have never seen a woman hit a guy in real life. I have seen situations like were in the video quite often, and never a turn around and slap to the face.

And remarks weren't at so much this video, but just at the fact that any time gender equality is brought up, 90% of the comments on what ever it will be like, "Oh, then that means its okay to hit a woman then! Yay!".
Again.

The common thought for people for even the idea of a woman hitting a man for a situation like that is, "that guy deserved it" or "what a perv, he had that coming to him"

but when you see it in reverse, with the guy hitting the girl, it is blatantly wrong. Barely anyone that is of rational mind will say "that girl deserved it" or "what a perv, that girl had that coming to her"

If it is the same situation-- and the same actions being done-- and you see something off in one, then you need to look at the other one even  if it doesn't seem off. While you have never seen a girl hit a guy, the thought of it is much more familiar to you, i would suspect, than the reverse of a guy hitting a girl about the same thing. A guy hitting a girl, especially like that in public... is unheard of, which makes putting the two back to back such a great way to contrast the double standard.

The conclusion should be "Looking at this, guys hitting girls still doesn't seem right.... but after seeing the reverse situation happen right  after the other, I might need to re-think how acceptable it is for women to hit men"

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on January 11, 2015, 01:47:04 AMI must be sheltered, because I have never seen a woman hit a guy in real life.
I have.  And the general attitude is that he must've done something to deserve it and needless to say, hitting her back would make him some sort of monster.  If you have the same situation but different genders, he abuses women.  The man is vilified for either retaliating or initiating violence.  The woman is not.  It's a crystal clear double standard.

Mermaid

Quote from: PickelledEggs on January 11, 2015, 01:41:38 AM
Relax.
First of all, it was staged. It's a common stereotype for a woman to hit a guy when she is offended, right or wrong. No one, for the most part, bats an eye at it.
Um. No. I certainly bat an eye at physical assault. That isn't about gender.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Mermaid on January 11, 2015, 09:06:26 AM
Um. No. I certainly bat an eye at physical assault. That isn't about gender.
The "for the most part, no one bats an eye" is obviously significantly a smaller percentage of people for the  group of people that see past gender like you and I and other people like us. The key string of words was "for the most part". And even the common view is significantly less, that they feel that it isn't a problem... that women can hit men. Partially because of double standard exposures like this.

Sent from your mom.

aitm

First of all, not much of a slap really by either. Looks pretty staged and rather for what point I don't get but: Assuming that is in India where we have cultural differences and women are accustomed to being second class, she may have perceived the incident as a minor attempt to fondle since rape and abuse are so endemic there, and the return favor seemed more to be about the boy being embarrassed at being slapped for "no" reason being given a chance to reciprocate. I think whoever made the video did so poorly and missed the opportunity to push for better civility by simply allowing the first party to apologize like one should which would have made the second incident non-existent. If it had be me and a woman slapped me because the bus hit a bump and many people were moved, I would slapped back instantly. Now that seems like a pretty bad thing to many of you, unfortunately, when I get hit in the face, I react pretty quickly without thinking about who or what did the hitting. I don't handle being slapped for no reason very well.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

GrinningYMIR

QuoteI must be sheltered, because I have never seen a woman hit a guy in real life. I have seen situations like were in the video quite often, and never a turn around and slap to the face.

I've been slapped by a girl, albeit comedically, and I saw a woman completely freak out and attack a guy at a mall, the guy stood there awkwardly being beat on before warning her several times that he would eventually just drop her. Which he did, and he ended up being the bad guy. There is a double standard, a woman can hit a guy but a guy can never hit a woman. Part of it comes from a guy usually being so much bigger than a woman, like with the Ray Rice thing (and in no way am I defending what he did, let's make that clear) He was so much bigger than his girlfriend that a single punch was able to not only knock her down, but make her go completely limp, as in TKO.

A typical guy just has so much more body mass than the typical girl that he would severely injure the majority of women should he decide to strike them, whereupon the social taboo thing came from. That and the fact that its a bad thing to do. I believe in defending yourself, and I believe that every now and then someone needs to have their ass beat, but hitting a woman is different from fighting a guy, there has to be the knowledge that based on your physical shape and the foundation of society that doing so initiates a scenario from which there is no going back.

Lastly I just want to say that beating your girlfriend is an idea that really bothers me, I spent several days this week actually being legitimately distressed because of a comic/story I read where a guy just snaps and punches his girlfriend down a flight of stairs. I don't know why it got to me, but the idea of it disturbed me to the point where I was, in real life, upset and withdrawn for a day or two.
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Aletheia

Quote from: GrinningYMIR on January 11, 2015, 11:08:24 AM
A typical guy just has so much more body mass than the typical girl that he would severely injure the majority of women should he decide to strike them, whereupon the social taboo thing came from.

Many understand where the taboo of men hitting women came from, as it is practically self-evident. I think much of the problem stems from the fact that it hardly makes sense to allow a woman to hit a man - even if she is significantly weaker. Perhaps it started as something "cute" but we are long since past that phase. In light of the push for gender equality, this little "quirk" is beyond juvenile.

Aside from idiots and the occasional trolls, nobody in a society that is pushing for gender equality thinks anyone should be slapping anyone except in extenuating circumstances that leave no other alternative.

A video like this, despite whatever intended purpose it may have originally, does a fine job of showing the stupidity of slapping anyone - especially for mundane things, like bumping into someone else due to a bus hitting a bump. You feel sympathy for the man who is slapped because he accidentally bumped into a woman. What was he being reprimanded for? Not defying gravity? Then, you feel very uncomfortable watching him slap the woman. Yeah, part of you feels it's justified because she's being a bitch, but the size and strength difference makes it very clear that he can do some serious damage. When you see something like this play out (staged or not), it gives you a very clear visual example of why it's best not to engage in unwarranted violent acts - especially between the genders where size difference still matters, whether we want to admit to it or not.

Munch

Double standards at its best. Women like her want respect, she has to earn it. Female empowerment isn't using any situation to demean a man, thats what feminazis do.  its shit like this that gives cunts like Anita Sarkeesian a soap box. Equal rights means you can either be a twat to both sides, or to neither, its not one for me and all for me.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Deidre32

Men and women shouldn't be hitting each other, and it cheapens the whole idea of equality.
The only lasting beauty, is the beauty of the heart. - Rumi