Surge in Marijuana Ills in Colorado and Washington

Started by SGOS, January 06, 2015, 11:58:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berati

I don't think the butane burns are going to be the problem in the long run.
The pictures below will be the problem. There's no difference between the edibles they are marketing now and the candy cigarettes from years ago. They banned the candy cigarettes for a good reason and they didn't even contain nicotine. Why tempt kids like this?

Also, the edibles can give you a far higher dose that you could get smoking. Iv'e tried edibles and it's not even the same thing as smoking. It's almost like a different drug and there's no way I'll be doing it again. You just have no idea how much you're taking.

Carl Sagan
"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

Aletheia

I hope the butane thing won't be an issue in the future.

I do agree that the marketing needs to be specifically for an older crowd, and the munchables should be put in a restricted location in stores - probably next to the tobacco items. Requiring an ID should should make it harder for kids to walk out the door with them, at least.

Sadly, there isn't much that can be done about parents who do not prevent their children from getting into the wacky candy. However, these are the same irresponsible parents who fail to prevent underage drinking, underage smoking... etc. It comes as no surprise that underage marijuana consumption will occur, much for the same reasons.
Quote from: Jakenessif you believe in the supernatural, you do not understand modern science. Period.

Jason78

Quote from: Berati on January 06, 2015, 10:19:34 PM
I don't think the butane burns are going to be the problem in the long run.
The pictures below will be the problem. There's no difference between the edibles they are marketing now and the candy cigarettes from years ago. They banned the candy cigarettes for a good reason and they didn't even contain nicotine. Why tempt kids like this?

Also, the edibles can give you a far higher dose that you could get smoking. Iv'e tried edibles and it's not even the same thing as smoking. It's almost like a different drug and there's no way I'll be doing it again. You just have no idea how much you're taking.

Kids will eat anything that looks like candy   

A responsible parent knows to keep drugs away from children.  Not just recreational drugs.  All drugs.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

SGOS

Quote from: Jason78 on January 07, 2015, 01:53:17 PM
Kids will eat anything that looks like candy   

I'm so far out of the loop, I didn't know about the candy spinoffs.  I'm surprised at how far free enterprise has taken it this far this fast.

dtq123

When they legalized Marijuana, I thought they would regulate the damn thing.

Turns out, they can't even do that can they?  :wall:
A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

SGOS

Quote from: dtq123 on January 07, 2015, 11:08:04 PM
When they legalized Marijuana, I thought they would regulate the damn thing.

Turns out, they can't even do that can they?  :wall:
Regulation was one of the selling points of legalization.  I'm not sure what that meant, or if proponents ever actually intended it, but government is loathed to regulate much of anything when it comes to free enterprise.  Maybe "regulation" simply meant "taxation", which would be inevitable as a government response to most business.  I would eventually expect a "sin tax" to be added to the cost of pot, much like alcohol and tobacco.

Berati

Quote from: SGOS on January 08, 2015, 07:39:59 AM
Regulation was one of the selling points of legalization.  I'm not sure what that meant, or if proponents ever actually intended it, but government is loathed to regulate much of anything when it comes to free enterprise.  Maybe "regulation" simply meant "taxation", which would be inevitable as a government response to most business.  I would eventually expect a "sin tax" to be added to the cost of pot, much like alcohol and tobacco.
I think they already have the sin tax in place as the taxes are fairly high on pot. I believe it's 25% in Colorado.

I still can't see why they didn't use the existing framework they have in place over tobacco advertising and marketing and start with that. As an advocate of legalized weed I have to conceded that pot is not harmless. Like any drug there is potential for abuse and there are proven medical issues that can occur especially with use by young kids. Since this is kind of an experiment, even the advocates of legalized weed should have also been more conservative in the roll out knowing that it will be scrutinized very closely.

I guess I just want to see it legalized here and if they fuck up in Colorado and Washington it will make it that much more difficult.
Carl Sagan
"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

Solitary

It pisses me off that the greedy bastards are going to ruin it for everybody by not being responsible enough to avoid ammunition for the pot haters.  :eek: :pidu:  :axe: Dumb, really dumb!
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Shiranu

Yeah, it's frustrating how bad it's been handled so far.

I would almost say it's like they don't want it to work, but I think it was just not having a structure set up because people thought it would be much easier than it actually is.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Jason78

Quote from: Berati on January 08, 2015, 08:49:38 AM
I think they already have the sin tax in place as the taxes are fairly high on pot. I believe it's 25% in Colorado.

The tax on tobacco in the UK is around 77-88%
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato