News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

My Story Of Getting Back My Life With Atheism

Started by LovingBeing, December 31, 2014, 05:06:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

Really sorry to here that Marco :S, its always the hope that when we leave our parents we find people more on our own wavelength.

The thing I'd suggest is to begin looking both for a new roommate, and looking for some like minded groups close to you, there must be both gay support groups and atheist groups close to you to find some sense of normalcy from, looking around online. It was a big support for me when I came out being around such groups.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

LovingBeing

Quote from: Munch on January 05, 2015, 08:31:07 PM
Really sorry to here that Marco :S, its always the hope that when we leave our parents we find people more on our own wavelength.

The thing I'd suggest is to begin looking both for a new roommate, and looking for some like minded groups close to you, there must be both gay support groups and atheist groups close to you to find some sense of normalcy from, looking around online. It was a big support for me when I came out being around such groups.

Thank you for your suggestions.  It means a lot to me.  I feel very isolated right now, almost to the point of being lonely.  In one way, I'm free of religion but in another way, I have no friends, or anyone, I can talk to.  I tried to speak to my physician about it, and even he, was disappointed in me for not believing in god.  It's a very difficult time for me right now.
"I am an atheist. Life is precious to me.  I believe in living a life, unconditionally loving and accepting others, to the best of my abilities.  I live by these morals, not because of a god, but because it is truly the man I am, in my heart.  I want to make the world a better place for others."

MarineWarrior

First off, welcome.  I enjoyed your post and I am glad you found atheism instead of suicide.  I hate that you have to hide your true self.  People shouldn't have to hide themselves, granted I haven't told my parents so I understand the difficulty.  My wife knows I am atheist while she is Catholic, though not the hard core bible thumping Catholic.  It also doesn't hurt that the new Pope is throwing a lot of the old ways out the window.  I agree with others that have said to find a like minded group to join.  I think you'll find that you are not alone in the world.  I'm actually moving back to SoCal in a few weeks and after I get settled I plan on looking up atheist and humanist groups because I want to be more active.
Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

-Carl Sagan

Savior2006

Glad to have you here, sorry for all the bullshit that religion made you go through. My process was nowhere near as painful as some on this forum have been, but the biggest issue with deconverting is always attitudes from family members. There are probably four people in my family who know about my atheism, and if I have one regret, it's that four people in my family know about my atheism. But they accept me, I'm still part of the family. Catholics hate apostasy, but of the Christian religions I think Jehovah Witnesses hate it the most. Assholes.
It took science to do what people imagine God can do.
--ApostateLois

"The closer you are to God the further you are from the truth."
--St Giordano

Mermaid

Quote from: LovingBeing on January 07, 2015, 04:37:03 AM
Thank you for your suggestions.  It means a lot to me.  I feel very isolated right now, almost to the point of being lonely.  In one way, I'm free of religion but in another way, I have no friends, or anyone, I can talk to.  I tried to speak to my physician about it, and even he, was disappointed in me for not believing in god.  It's a very difficult time for me right now.
Well I hope this forum is a step for you and you can find some footing here. Hey, it's not much, but it's a start. So ramble on about your feelings and experiences. It sometimes just helps to barf it up on paper.  :smile:
You probably have a lot of sorting to do on your own. In any case, choosing not to end your life is a really great beginning. I hope your journey to carve your place in the world is joyous. You've already been through the shitty stuff. There is so much for you out there!
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Savior2006

Quote from: Mermaid on January 09, 2015, 08:26:22 AM
You probably have a lot of sorting to do on your own. In any case, choosing not to end your life is a really great beginning. I hope your journey to carve your place in the world is joyous. You've already been through the shitty stuff. There is so much for you out there!

Basically this. Don't let the failures of others have consequences for you. I know that's a stupid sounding sentence but I really mean it.

People can spend the rest of their lives rolling over about how religion screwed their past up. Or they can down some bargain rum and write a book. I know which side I'm on.
It took science to do what people imagine God can do.
--ApostateLois

"The closer you are to God the further you are from the truth."
--St Giordano

Mermaid

I like the way you put that, Savior. That other people being judgmental enough to drive another person to suicidal thoughts is failing at so much in life. It's so not a stupid sentence or a platitude. It's a perspective that is often hard to grasp but it makes a lot of sense. We are just creatures that need validation and support from other people. I guess the trick is to surround yourself with those people who are able to provide what you need instead of people who are toxic to you and only want to drain you and try to cause you to think poorly of yourself at your very core.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR