News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

New here - Believe in god, can't stop - Help

Started by dylansdad, March 01, 2013, 11:59:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davka

Quote from: "Aupmanyav"Why be stuck up with such a God? Choose a new God (or Goddess). It is within your right. :)
That's what I love about you, Aup - you've got plenty of gods to go around.  :-D

La Dolce Vita

Quote from: "dylansdad"Look, there was a time in my life when I didn't believe in Santa Claus, but I hoped he really did exist and I really hoped that he was gonna come down the chimney with a bag full of toys.  And I get that there's no god and he's not coming with an eternal bliss of servitude.  But I don't understand my reaction in bad times to place the blame on god.  Transference, maybe?

As you are aiming your anger at a most likely non-existent being I'm not sure transference is the best word, but it does seem like you have the need to blame someone. Maybe it's a good thing that you are blaming something that won't be hurt by it. It also appears that this hatred is directed at this concept with the knowledge that it most likely isn't true, with a slight high opening for doubt as to allow some placebo out of the event. Seeing how you already know it's illogical, and don't truly believe it, I don't really see the harm of this psychological exercise.

Try to, with time, leave this behind you, and improve your self-confidence, worth and strenght so that you can carry all the burdens by yourself - because if you can do that it's always for the best. One of the ways of doing this is to change your perspective. The cliche that you should look on the bright side of things do apply. Think how lucky you are to have found a life partner for instance, many don't. Think how lucky you are that you have a job, in a country above average quality of life wise. Try to do things that make you happy. Even though you might be in a bad situation it doesn't mean that everything, or even the majority of your life has to be bleak.

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "Davka"
Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"lol, you don't like Slayer?

What else is wrong with you?
I'm bi, I like psychedelic rock, and I hate thrash metal. Oh, and country music sucks unless it's serious mountain music.

Yes is the greatest band of all time.

Yes?  What the blue fuck are you on, anyway?   :rollin:

As for country, I dig me some old Willie, Waylon, Johnny C, and others.
<insert witty aphorism here>

Aupmanyav

Quote from: "Aupmanyav"Why be stuck up with such a God? Choose a new God (or Goddess). It is within your right. :)
That's what I love about you, Aup - you've got plenty of gods to go around.  :-D
Seriously, it also helps to break the stranglehold of one and only.  8-)
"Brahma Satyam Jagan-mithya" (Brahman is the truth, the observed is an illusion)
"Sarve Khalu Idam Brahma" (All this here is Brahman)

ratzu

If times get REALLY tough you could always just make up a new god, get a bunch of people to believe in them, then make a butt load of money. worst case scenario you wind up selling a few t-shirts.

no, but seriously, hope you make it through.
YOU STAY CLASSY INTERNET

leo

Quote from: "Aupmanyav"
Quote from: "Davka"What you describe is very common among people who are in the process of shedding their faith. I went through similar thoughts myself a few years back.

It's not easy to simply discard beliefs that have been hammered in over a lifetime.
Atheists take the jump and find peace with the truth.
Quote from: "dylansdad"So, basically, my logical side realizes that there's no god.  It's a farce.  My suffering is because I was born unlucky. My emotional side says, "there's a god, he just hates you."
A bad situation. Why be stuck up with such a God? Choose a new God (or Goddess). It is within your right. :)
Welcome !
Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

Mermaid

Why is it really that much of a problem that you do believe? You believe what you believe and feel how you feel. Instead of being self-judgmental, why not just be and feel and let the thoughts happen? You'll come to a conclusion if you want to. A decision of what you really want.

Meanwhile don't beat yourself up too much. You is what you is. :)
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

NitzWalsh

I'm bi, I like psychedelic rock, and I hate thrash metal. Oh, and country music sucks unless it's serious mountain music.

That's so wrong, everyone knows that Rush is the greatest band of all time.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
~ Arthur C. Clarke

StupidWiz

Quote from: "Davka"No, you're not. What you describe is very common among people who are in the process of shedding their faith. I went through similar thoughts myself a few years back.

It's not easy to simply discard beliefs that have been hammered in over a lifetime. Being angry at God for being an asshole is a pretty common reaction, often followed by being angry at the church for lying to you about God. Eventually, you will realize that there's no god to be mad at, and no point in being angry at deluded people for being deluded. Especially if you spent years being deluded yourself.

Deconversion can be a struggle.
Yup, I'm still undergoing this struggle myself. It can be lonely and depressing at times, but it was a relief knowing the idea that there's no big old entity who condemns you for certain harmless actions.

Welcome to this forum, op, hope you'll find what you're looking for.
... To teach superstitions as truths is the most terrible thing. The child mind accepts and believes them, and only through great pain and perhaps tragedy can they be in after years relieved of them. - Hypatia

Davka

Quote from: "NitzWalsh"

That's so wrong, everyone knows that Rush is the greatest band of all time.
Meh. Rush only knows one song, and they play it over and over with different lyrics. Tom Sawyer is the best iteration of the Rush song, but once you've heard it, the rest of their music is so derivative that it's a crime.

Rush always really wanted to be Yes. They just didn't quite have the chops.

maestroanth

Lol, I listen to Beethoven, I say the piano maneuvers are more psychedlic than the thrashing of the same chord ;P

Davka

Quote from: "maestroanth"

Lol, I listen to Beethoven, I say the piano maneuvers are more psychedlic than the thrashing of the same chord ;P
The musicians in Yes are classically trained. They often perform with a full orchestra. Even when it's just them playing all-electric, you can hear the difference:

[youtube:rqcgg5pl]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAPbpW6EJ3Y[/youtube:rqcgg5pl]

Give it at least 3 minutes. Even if you don't like it, you'll understand why others do.

AllPurposeAtheist

Another way to look at it, god does indeed hate you. He despises you more than anything ever created because he's absolutely and utterly powerless to harm you in any way, shape or form now or at any time in the future..
Hey, it could be worse.. You could have been born really fat, ugly and stupid and live forever.. :-k
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

aitm

Anybody claiming that one band is the greatest is a fuckin crackpot diphead. There have been way too many bands to proclaim any band is the best. Other than the Moody Blues of course, they are above and beyond mortal bands what with their crappy lyrics and copy n pasta shit they call music......the Moodies are actual gods.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: "aitm"Anybody claiming that one band is the greatest is a fuckin crackpot diphead. There have been way too many bands to proclaim any band is the best. Other than the Moody Blues of course, they are above and beyond mortal bands what with their crappy lyrics and copy n pasta shit they call music......the Moodies are actual gods.
Uhhh...any band except YOUR favorite? See above: fucking crackpot diphead... The rule applies to all.. :-k
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.