News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Dog Dumped on Our Country Road

Started by Aletheia, December 08, 2014, 09:03:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

Quote from: aitm on December 08, 2014, 09:19:28 PM
As a crazy dog lover, I feel for you and am glad you took the pain to give her all you could.  My first thought was glycol poisoning as it is common in more rural areas. People are why dogs are loved so much. People in general suck.

Unfortunately I've seen that as well.People used to simply drain their radiators on the ground back in the day, and animals would drink it. Seen a few cats die that way. Sad. I've also put down a couple of dogs, and that is hard to do, I can tell you.

Aletheia

Quote from: stromboli on December 09, 2014, 09:12:26 PM
Unfortunately I've seen that as well.People used to simply drain their radiators on the ground back in the day, and animals would drink it. Seen a few cats die that way. Sad. I've also put down a couple of dogs, and that is hard to do, I can tell you.

We had worried about possible poisoning, but none of the neighbors for almost 4 houses down in either direction have drained their radiators within at least a month and most simply pay to have it done somewhere else. Furthermore, all "outdoor cats" are present and accounted for and the neighbor's two labradors they let run loose for 4 hours a day have shown no sign of poisoning.

One thing I do know that my dogs and the neighbors' dogs have in common that Sweetie may not have is they are all vaccinated. For a while we had worried that maybe she had eaten an ivy plant, but the symptoms didn't match up. I've never seen a dog deteriorate so quickly like this. One day she was fine and the next she was dying.

Quote from: aitm on December 09, 2014, 07:56:51 PM
In my younger days, I still had the courage to put a bullet in their head, but this was mostly because a vet was an hour drive. Now days I wonder if I am crueler by taking them to a vet, waiting 45 minutes for them to put them down while they are in pain and then paying 400 bucks.

I remember a few animals being put down in such a manner.

One was when I was real young and our dog was hit head-on by an eighteen wheeler. The dog was still alive and my Dad shot him - I heard the gunshot, but we were in the house at the time.

Another time was when my favorite dog -- the original rat terrier I had. She had been missing for a day after we had let her go out to potty. When she came home she was covered in dirt and clay and looked miserable. I called her to me, and she obeyed without hesitation, not making a sound. It wasn't until I touched her that I realized her ribs were crushed and she had a bullet wound in her stomach. Even when I examined her, she remained silent and obedient. I was so angry while I imagined all the horrible things that had happened to her. Once my anger subsided I accepted the idea that she had probably darted in front of a car and was hit. The person, being from the country, probably tried to end her misery but missed his mark because she may have darted off again. That dog was very dear to me, and both my dad and husband at the the time were there trying to explain that I needed to let her go. My ex was the one who put a bullet through the base of her neck. I new it was better than letting her suffer, but I have never felt right letting a sociopath who enjoyed killing be the one to end the life of my dog. Somehow, I've always felt that she deserved better. If I hadn't been such a mess at the time, I would've done it myself.

Euthanasia, when done properly, is probably the most merciful way for a dog to go. They fall immediately into a coma and then the body shuts down. There is no fear and no pain.
Quote from: Jakenessif you believe in the supernatural, you do not understand modern science. Period.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Solitary on December 09, 2014, 08:25:00 PM
My son still hates me for having him shoot a pet lizard he accidently stepped on and squashed it, and it was still alive.   :sad2:
"A man should be able to shoot his own dog." Lazarus Long.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

stromboli

I've owned several dogs over the years. A few have died with their head in my lap. The only bad dog is an abused dog. I have seen dogs that were considered mean and dangerous respond to kindness. The two Pitbulls I collected when I lived in the country were both coaxed in with food and water, and kind words calmed them enough to get them into my vehicle. They went without any resistance to the animal shelter. Dogs understand and respond to your emotions. Demonstrate that you care and they will bond to you.

Aletheia

Quote from: stromboli on December 10, 2014, 11:13:07 AM
Dogs understand and respond to your emotions. Demonstrate that you care and they will bond to you.

I've always been good with animals... mainly because I don't like being deceptive. Ironically, I don't always get along with people because I don't like being deceptive. Dogs are not deceptive by nature, but I've been around them long enough to notice that they do understand the concept on a basic level and shun it.

Dogs are honest, their default emotional state is general contentedness, and they do not hold grudges. We bond strongly to people who have such qualities, which is probably why it hurts to lose a dog - even if they are a "lower" animal.
Quote from: Jakenessif you believe in the supernatural, you do not understand modern science. Period.

stromboli

Quote from: Aletheia on December 10, 2014, 01:52:57 PM
I've always been good with animals... mainly because I don't like being deceptive. Ironically, I don't always get along with people because I don't like being deceptive. Dogs are not deceptive by nature, but I've been around them long enough to notice that they do understand the concept on a basic level and shun it.

Dogs are honest, their default emotional state is general contentedness, and they do not hold grudges. We bond strongly to people who have such qualities, which is probably why it hurts to lose a dog - even if they are a "lower" animal.

Yes, totally. You do something the dog doesn't like and they think it is their fault. And any animal that is so protective it automatically puts itself in the way to protect you is hard to hate. When my grand kids were younger, my current dog bonded to them and would watch over them when they went to the playground. You gotta love that.

Green Bottle

Sorry to hear about ur wee dog Aletheia , sad. people who mistreat animals are fucking arseholes.
God doesnt exist, but if he did id tell him to ''Fuck Off''

LovingBeing

My heart goes out to you Aletheia.  I am so sorry to hear that happened, especially over something that could have been so simple to prevent by the chihuahua's original owner.  I love animals and their nature.  They are great companions, who love you unconditionally, and without judgment. 

I happen to love dachshunds.  Years ago, I had bought a female, red, smooth coated, miniature dachshund, from an owner who claimed to have had her vaccinated and provided papers.  She was an adorable dog and I had named her Daisy.  Daisy happened to have been a somewhat rare, very lean and muscular dachshund.  She was around 6 weeks old when I got her and she became very attached to me, and I, to her. 

The worst of my fears came true when Daisy started exhibiting symptoms of parvo, at such a young age.  To make a long story short, the owner must have forged Daisy's vaccination papers.  After I took her to the animal hospital, the veterinarian called me later to tell me that Daisy was indeed positive for parvovirus, most likely would not make it, and, in the meantime, the vet could offer supportive care.  The outlook was not good, especially for Daisy's young age. 

Luck seemed to be on Daisy's side, as the veterinarian called me several days later to tell me that Daisy's immune system was somehow able to contain the virus.  The vet said this is rare, but it can happen.  Daisy also happened to be in good physical shape and condition.  This could have somewhat contributed to her outcome, but I attribute it to just being lucky.  She has grown up to be a very healthy dog.

This experience has taught me to be more aware of the importance of parvo vaccination, and to ask for more definitive proof of vaccination, from owners.  I wish people respected the lives of pets more.  Have a happy 2015. Take care and be well.

Marco
"I am an atheist. Life is precious to me.  I believe in living a life, unconditionally loving and accepting others, to the best of my abilities.  I live by these morals, not because of a god, but because it is truly the man I am, in my heart.  I want to make the world a better place for others."