Atheists Among Most Persecuted Worldwide

Started by stromboli, February 28, 2013, 10:41:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/0 ... 68681.html

Quote(Reuters) - Atheists and other religious skeptics suffer persecution or discrimination in many parts of the world and in at least seven nations can be executed if their beliefs become known, according to a report issued on Monday.

The study, from the International Humanist and Ethical Union (IHEU), showed that "unbelievers" in Islamic countries face the most severe - sometimes brutal - treatment at the hands of the state and adherents of the official religion.

But it also points to policies in some European countries and the United States which favor the religious and their organizations and treat atheists and humanists as outsiders.

The report, "Freedom of Thought 2012", said "there are laws that deny atheists' right to exist, curtail their freedom of belief and expression, revoke their right to citizenship, restrict their right to marry."

Other laws "obstruct their access to public education, prohibit them from holding public office, prevent them from working for the state, criminalize their criticism of religion, and execute them for leaving the religion of their parents."

The report was welcomed by Heiner Bielefeldt, United Nations special rapporteur on freedom of religion or belief, who said in a brief introduction there was little awareness that atheists were covered by global human rights agreements.

The IHEU - which links over 120 humanist, atheist and secular organizations in more than 40 countries - said it was issuing the report to mark the U.N.'s Human Rights Day on Monday.

The article is a few months old, but still very true. Next time you hear from a Christian or Muslim that they are persecuted, refer them to this.

wolf39us

It's so true.  I've read CURRENT state laws in many of the states that prevent Atheists from holding office even in the states!

Plu

QuoteThe report was welcomed by Heiner Bielefeldt, United Nations special rapporteur on freedom of religion or belief, who said in a brief introduction there was little awareness that atheists were covered by global human rights agreements.

:-s

Aupmanyav

No persecution of atheists in India at least. Even our first and long-time prime minister (17 years), Jawaharlal Nehru was one. The chairman of the committee which drafted the Constitution, B. R. Ambedkar, was another.
"Brahma Satyam Jagan-mithya" (Brahman is the truth, the observed is an illusion)
"Sarve Khalu Idam Brahma" (All this here is Brahman)

Mathias

Only religion's morality could do that and we barely know how many we are! (neither them)
"There is no logic in the existence of any god".
Myself.

stromboli

Quote from: "wolf39us"It's so true.  I've read CURRENT state laws in many of the states that prevent Atheists from holding office even in the states!

This is true. Where challenged, these laws do not come close to meeting any constitutional validity. And they should be challenged, every time.

Phantom

Quote from: "stromboli"http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/09/atheists-humanists-suffer_n_2268681.html

Quote"obstruct their access to public education"

Obstruct their access to PUBLIC EDUCATION? Public fucking education?! I bet people here in the u.s. would absolutely love that law. "Bring god back into our schools!" and all that fun stuff they love to say. But it could be worse I guess.

BarkAtTheMoon

But I'm confused. In that thread about Pat Robertson and demon sweaters there's a quote where he said Christians were the most abused and discriminated against by atheists and homosexuals. Surely, he couldn't be completely full of shit.

In case it wasn't obvious enough: /s
"When you landed on the moon, that was the point when God should have come up and said hello. Because if you invent some creatures and you put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, then you fucking turn up and say, 'Well done.' It's just a polite thing to do." - Eddie Izzard

leo

Quote from: "stromboli"http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/09/atheists-humanists-suffer_n_2268681.html

Quote(Reuters) - Atheists and other religious skeptics suffer persecution or discrimination in many parts of the world and in at least seven nations can be executed if their beliefs become known, according to a report issued on Monday.

The study, from the International Humanist and Ethical Union (IHEU), showed that "unbelievers" in Islamic countries face the most severe - sometimes brutal - treatment at the hands of the state and adherents of the official religion.

But it also points to policies in some European countries and the United States which favor the religious and their organizations and treat atheists and humanists as outsiders.

The report, "Freedom of Thought 2012", said "there are laws that deny atheists' right to exist, curtail their freedom of belief and expression, revoke their right to citizenship, restrict their right to marry."

Other laws "obstruct their access to public education, prohibit them from holding public office, prevent them from working for the state, criminalize their criticism of religion, and execute them for leaving the religion of their parents."

The report was welcomed by Heiner Bielefeldt, United Nations special rapporteur on freedom of religion or belief, who said in a brief introduction there was little awareness that atheists were covered by global human rights agreements.

The IHEU - which links over 120 humanist, atheist and secular organizations in more than 40 countries - said it was issuing the report to mark the U.N.'s Human Rights Day on Monday.

The article is a few months old, but still very true. Next time you hear from a Christian or Muslim that they are persecuted, refer them to this.
Sometimes I forget how hard is being atheist in many parts of the word.
Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

Thumpalumpacus

When I was stationed in Saudi Arabia I was strongly advised by our unit chaplain to keep my atheism to myself, at my inprocessing briefing.
<insert witty aphorism here>