"I Still Believe Homosexuality is a choice..."

Started by Aletheia, December 04, 2014, 03:54:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael M Perez

yes it is for the individual to decide. The choice is theirs

Mike Cl

Quote from: Michael M Perez on August 10, 2016, 04:47:22 AM
Homosexuality is not a choice--it is your biology.  One does not wake up one day and 'decide' to be homosexual.  Yes, there are those who are heterosexual who experiment sexually with the same sex--but they are not homosexual only hetro's  engaging in what is termed 'homosexual' behavior. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

trdsf

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 10, 2016, 08:39:46 AM
Homosexuality is not a choice--it is your biology.  One does not wake up one day and 'decide' to be homosexual.  Yes, there are those who are heterosexual who experiment sexually with the same sex--but they are not homosexual only hetro's  engaging in what is termed 'homosexual' behavior.
I'm still waiting for one of those "it's a choice" people to 'prove' it by deciding to be actively gay for a year.  Just claiming to be gay isn't enough.  Pictures or it didn't happen.

I think I'm likely to wait for a very long time...
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

widdershins

Quote from: Michael M Perez on August 10, 2016, 04:47:22 AM
I am a straight man.  It is utterly IMPOSSIBLE for me to be sexually attracted to men.  It is further IMPOSSIBLE for me not to be sexually attracted to women.  Now, I could "choose" to engage in homosexual acts.  I could even potentially enjoy some homosexual acts.  But the entire time I would be wishing it were a woman because I cannot "choose" to be sexually attracted to men instead of women.  Yes, I could "choose" a lifestyle in which I only had sex with men.  But that would not make me homosexual because I would STILL only be sexually attracted to women.  We cannot "choose" what we find attractive.

And that is where you are confused.  You are confusing "sexually attracted to people of the same sex" with "having sex with people of the same sex".  Homosexual men who "choose" to only be with women, they don't stop being gay.  They're still gay.  Being gay isn't about who you have sex with, it's about who you're sexually attracted to.  I could choose to have homosexual sex, but I could never actually be "gay".  And I don't want to have sex with men because it is not appealing to me.  I am not sexually attracted to men.  Now take that thought and reverse it and you'll know how a very gay man feels about having sex with women.  Yes, he could "choose" to do it, but it just doesn't turn him on because, like it or not, regardless the choices he may make, he is gay.  That is a thing that simply is and there is no choice involved.
This sentence is a lie...

Feral Atheist

The OP "believes" it is a choice.... OK, but like many other things that is only a belief.

People believe in all sorts of things.... there are thousands of gods people believe in... children believe in Santa, Tooth Fairy, and monsters under the bed.  People believe in creation, Noah's Ark, the Illuminati, that the moon landing was faked, UFO's, ghosts, demons, big foot, leprechauns and millions of other nonsense things, all without fact and often counter to fact.
In dog beers I've only had one.

Cavebear

Sexuality is a choice like hair color is a choice.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

drunkenshoe

OP doesn't believe it is a choice. I haven't seen her posting about any belief here at all. She posted about someone who does and posted that here for the constant flow of morons who kept dropping and started with 'buts' and other bullshit and finally arrive to this point of 'choice'.

We are not having them that often anymore, but before the legalisation of marriage for everyone, they were pretty nauseating.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Cavebear

Annoying ideas disappear every day.  Science keeps ruining them.

Cavebear

Munch

Quote from: Cavebear on November 13, 2016, 04:13:46 AM
Why is this Pinned?  I don't see a reason.

think it was an accident at the time, but whenever this debate of another religious nut claim people choose to be gay, its handier then making a new thread on it.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Cavebear

Quote from: Munch on November 13, 2016, 05:18:43 AM
think it was an accident at the time, but whenever this debate of another religious nut claim people choose to be gay, its handier then making a new thread on it.

There are too many people who cant tell the difference between choice and genetics.  I can choose between Liberal and Conservative politics; between carnivorous, omnivorous, and vegan.  But I can't really choose the gender I am attracted to.  For me it is "the other one", LOL but that was never a deliberate choice.  As it is not with some people tending the opposite way.

Munch

Quote from: Cavebear on November 17, 2016, 06:46:34 AM
There are too many people who cant tell the difference between choice and genetics.  I can choose between Liberal and Conservative politics; between carnivorous, omnivorous, and vegan.  But I can't really choose the gender I am attracted to.  For me it is "the other one", LOL but that was never a deliberate choice.  As it is not with some people tending the opposite way.

The funny thing is I've been confronted by people, sometimes old workmates in prior jobs, who when finding out I was gay respond with "oh, for how long for?" or "Oh, why did you choose to do that?", I always respond to the "for the same reason you choose to be straight", stumping them, and maybe even making them realize its not a choice.. but really I doubt it would enlighten some people.

Cavebear

Quote from: Munch on November 17, 2016, 12:52:50 PM
The funny thing is I've been confronted by people, sometimes old workmates in prior jobs, who when finding out I was gay respond with "oh, for how long for?" or "Oh, why did you choose to do that?", I always respond to the "for the same reason you choose to be straight", stumping them, and maybe even making them realize its not a choice.. but really I doubt it would enlighten some people.

I do have to admit I'm not sure when sexual attraction starts.  If it it isn't from birth, I wonder when it is?  Not a theory, just an uncertainity.  *I* don't know when I was first attracted to girls, just that one day I wasn't and one day I was.  I assume it is the same for gays and lesbians. 

To be honest, I don't understand it.  But no skin off MY nose...

Munch

Quote from: Cavebear on December 02, 2016, 05:17:20 AM
I do have to admit I'm not sure when sexual attraction starts.  If it it isn't from birth, I wonder when it is?  Not a theory, just an uncertainity.  *I* don't know when I was first attracted to girls, just that one day I wasn't and one day I was.  I assume it is the same for gays and lesbians. 

To be honest, I don't understand it.  But no skin off MY nose...

I'm not against the idea of development playing a part in what we find interesting or attractive, I know what I find a turn on, and a turn off, within the spectrum of people out there. I don't find young skinny hairless guys appealing at all, I'm the other end with big hairy mature guys, and I'm certain that developed from somewhere maybe experiences. That said, I consider what we find attractive and what were are sexually as two separate things.

I think of it like a painting, we paint a picture and make whatever we can of it based on our developed style and experiences. But the paint and canvas itself is the font all that goes onto, our sexuality is the paint/canvas, the painting at the end is whatever we've experienced coming out.

(also, I looooooove guys with long thick hair https://vtt.tumblr.com/tumblr_nroubabwHa1t6hi70.mp4 Roar!! )

Cavebear

Quote from: Munch on December 02, 2016, 06:13:43 AM
I'm not against the idea of development playing a part in what we find interesting or attractive, I know what I find a turn on, and a turn off, within the spectrum of people out there. I don't find young skinny hairless guys appealing at all, I'm the other end with big hairy mature guys, and I'm certain that developed from somewhere maybe experiences. That said, I consider what we find attractive and what were are sexually as two separate things.

I think of it like a painting, we paint a picture and make whatever we can of it based on our developed style and experiences. But the paint and canvas itself is the font all that goes onto, our sexuality is the paint/canvas, the painting at the end is whatever we've experienced coming out.

(also, I looooooove guys with long thick hair https://vtt.tumblr.com/tumblr_nroubabwHa1t6hi70.mp4 Roar!! )

I think I will pass on that link, LOL!  But whatever suits you is fine.