Previous topic - Next topic

Blackleaf

"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

aitm

Stop complaining about the clowns if you keep going to the circus.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

the_antithesis

Why don't they have bread at the circus?

THEY LIED TO ME!

Nopejustnotinterested

Recently I stumbled upon a sign at a store that said "we use guns, never dial 911". It made me absolutely sick just thinking about it. I also cannot stand things like this when someone says they hate guns because its only purpose is to kill:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/163069645940

This disgusts me as it justifies demonizing liberalism and promoting gun nut propaganda. Saying "don't like guns, don't buy one, it's that easy" is like saying "don't like being raped, then stop dressing like a prostitute and luring men to your slutty body". It places blame on the complainer and not the person committing the crimes. These gun nuts have a habit of justifying their gun obsessions and shitting on people who go against gun violence and support child safety and civil rights. They act like dialing 911 is terrible (it's an American thing) because it apparently wastes so much time that it's much easier to kill people. A lot of them are Christians btw

And regarding people who hate guns but cannot put up signs that say gun-free zone, according to Quora:

"Because they realize that doing is basically inviting the thugs to come break in and they don't want that but somehow it is ok for our schools and other places."

"Because they are hypocrites, obviously. They are perfectly happy advertising that our schools where our children spend 6+ hours a day are gun free zones, as are the indoor shopping malls. But they won't make the same advertisement about their own homes."

"Always gives me a chuckle to see fools announce how easy it would be to rob them. To each their own I guess."

Also this:

"It's not different than any other hobby out there. Except for that this one can kill. One reason why some "gun nuts" are so obsessive is because people who want to change the laws, generally have no idea what they're talking about when speaking on firearms.

Most environments are welcoming but it depends on your approach. I've seen people act super snobby and become disrespectful in a gun store. Person behind the counter is trying to help you understand but you're acting like you know everything about guns. I was with a buddy at a gun store a few weeks ago and there were two people in there that couldn't comprehend that they could just walk in and walk out with a gun. This apparently has been a reoccurring theme over the last several months with swarms of new gun owners."

I also find it sickening that conservatives whine about having their gun rights taken away from them because of "stupid whiny fascist leftists" shoving hypocrisy and liberal propaganda when the right is completely unaware that they do the same shit they accuse liberals of doing.

Really, I'm so sick of this. No one's trying to take your guns away, they're just wanting you to take responsibility for your own actions. How hard is it for you people?!

the_antithesis

Not exactly a rant, but I kind of realized something recently. My local coffee shop had quiche on the menu one week and I immediately thought of the book Real Men Don't Eat Quiche. If you weren't alive in 1982, it may be hard for you to understand how big this silly humor book was. And how by late '83, early '84, we had all forgotten about it.

Truth be told, I think of it every time quiche is even mentioned, but that doesn't happen often. So it may as well have been something I hadn't thought of since 1982.

And I realized, this is what nostalgia is supposed to feel like. Something awakens a dormant memory that had not be recalled in twenty, thirty years and it's amazing you even remember.

But I tend to wallow in nostalgia, and so does everyone else. It's what the entertainment media hopes you do. Why else would we be getting a sequel to Twister? TWISTER! I liked that movie alright, but it didn't have any more story to tell.

Unbeliever

I must not be a real man, since I really like quiche, and I'm not from Mars. 🤣
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Dark Lightning

<slides wingtips to back of closet>

True fact- I wore wingtip shoes when that book came out. Don't recall if I ever ate quiche in those days, though. 🤷�♂️

Gawdzilla Sama

I probably ate quiche when I was stationed in Europe. Sometimes the waiter would hand me a menu and I'd say (carefully rehearsed) "Give me what you would eat here." They liked that. Never got a joker, I guess I'm just that lovable.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers