An early end to Mars Curiosity mission?

Started by PopeyesPappy, February 28, 2013, 10:14:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PopeyesPappy

Probably not but that is what could happen if the 50 KM comet currently heading towards Mars impacts the planet next year. Early indications are that comet C/2013 A1 will flyby the red planet on October 19th 2014 missing by a mere 63,000 miles. But it is too early in the observation process to rule out a direct hit entirely. If the 50 KM comet does hit Mars it will release an estimated 83 billion petajoules of energy. It would be a truly apocalyptic event.

Even if it doesn't directly impact the Mars scientists are hoping it will have developed a tail by the time it passes Mars. If so, some of the scientific instruments currently orbiting the red planet may be able to record some of the best science data ever recorded of a comet.

http://news.discovery.com/space/astrono ... 130225.htm
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

SGOS

Quote from: "PopeyesPappy"Probably not but that is what could happen if the 50 KM comet currently heading towards Mars impacts the planet next year. Early indications are that comet C/2013 A1 will flyby the red planet on October 19th 2014 missing by a mere 63,000 miles. But it is too early in the observation process to rule out a direct hit entirely. If the 50 KM comet does hit Mars it will release an estimated 83 billion petajoules of energy. It would be a truly apocalyptic event.

Even if it doesn't directly impact the Mars scientists are hoping it will have developed a tail by the time it passes Mars. If so, some of the scientific instruments currently orbiting the red planet may be able to record some of the best science data ever recorded of a comet.

There seems to be a lot of comet and asteroid fly by activity in our solar system lately.  I can't say I feel good about it.  But what R U gonna do?

Mathias

Look up to the sky and ecstasize yourself !!!!
"There is no logic in the existence of any god".
Myself.

Plu

QuoteThere seems to be a lot of comet and asteroid fly by activity in our solar system lately. I can't say I feel good about it. But what R U gonna do?

We're just picking up on more and more of them. I see no evidence that the actual number of comets and asteroids is increasing, though. You'd probably hear people talking about it.

stromboli

My thought is that if the comet did hit Mars and wipe out Curiosity and whatnot, it would be a real wake up call to all of us to the danger of celestial events that impact humanity.

Unfortunately, it would also be a prime topic for Pat Robertson and company to show that god condemns space exploration.

PopeyesPappy

I'm sure a lot of it is because our ability to detect them is improving. We don't really have a lot of historical data to go by for stuff like this beyond counting impact craters and estimating their age. With what we know now though close passes seem to rare events and large impacts are even rarer. I would love to see this thing hit Mars just to see it. From what we do know two planetary comet impacts in my lifetime would be extraordinary.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

stromboli

Quote from: "PopeyesPappy"I'm sure a lot of it is because our ability to detect them is improving. We don't really have a lot of historical data to go by for stuff like this beyond counting impact craters and estimating their age. With what we know now though close passes seem to rare events and large impacts are even rarer. I would love to see this thing hit Mars just to see it. From what we do know two planetary comet impacts in my lifetime would be extraordinary.

I have to admit I agree. Seeing that sucker smack Mars would be very cool.

SGOS

They were talking about such impacts this morning on NPR.  One person said, "There's no reason to call Bruce Willis at this time."

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "PopeyesPappy"Probably not but that is what could happen if the 50 KM comet currently heading towards Mars impacts the planet next year. Early indications are that comet C/2013 A1 will flyby the red planet on October 19th 2014 missing by a mere 63,000 miles. But it is too early in the observation process to rule out a direct hit entirely. If the 50 KM comet does hit Mars it will release an estimated 83 billion petajoules of energy. It would be a truly apocalyptic event.

I'd think that the impact would be a much more valuable scientific event than any single rover.  A rover can be sent up when we wish; an impactor, not so much.

For that reason, I hope it does hit.  Think of what we stand to learn!

Great stuff, thanks for posting it.
<insert witty aphorism here>

Shiranu

Well... if it did happen, it should at least be an epic show...
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

aitm

I think we should send Bruce Willis anyway.....seriously..who the fuck wants to see Die hard 10?
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "aitm"I think we should send Bruce Willis anyway.....seriously..who the fuck wants to see Die hard 10?

lol, can we pack Brad Pitt onto that show too?
<insert witty aphorism here>

Farroc

Would the hit be visible without a telescope? If not, I'm buying a telescope. I've been wanting one anyway.
"The idea of getting a, y\'know, syringe full of heroin and shooting it in the vein under my cock right now seems like almost a productive act." -Bill Hicks

Jason78

Quote from: "stromboli"Unfortunately, it would also be a prime topic for Pat Robertson and company to show that god condemns space exploration.

And gays. He'd crowbar them in somehow.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Atheon

63,000 miles? I hope Curiosity gets some good photos of it streaking by!!
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca