What is wrong with the Christian message?

Started by mediumaevum, November 25, 2014, 10:39:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mediumaevum

Quote from: the_antithesis on November 25, 2014, 01:16:35 PM
That's not the christian message. They say that's the message, but the real christian message is intolerance and murdering those who do not conform.

Look at what they do, not what they say.

That goes double for islam.

Let me understand this right:

You are saying, that if YOU said "Don't murder. And I call this ideal The_antithesis-ism" and people kill in your name... you are the one to blame?

The Early christians should not be blamed for the fault and errors and horrors of those who killed in their name of their belief.

Desdinova

OK, plain and simple.  All religions are man made bullshit designed to control people and make money.  Those who believe otherwise are welcome to follow the bullshit of their choosing as long as they do not force their beliefs on others or use their beliefs to bring harm or foster hatred upon others.  Unfortunately history shows us that this has not happened.
"How long will we be
Waiting, for your modern messiah
To take away all the hatred
That darkens the light in your eye"
  -Disturbed, Liberate

the_antithesis

I don't give a shit about early christians. They're not the ones running for office to continue to support various injustices.

You think christians actually believe the bible?

How naive you are. Most christians do not even read that thing. Can you blame them? It's almost as boring as the Hunger Games.

So we don't give a shit about that shit early christians wrote. At least we won't until christians actually start living it.

They won't, of course. Because they are assholes.

Solitary

And even now also. The religious message, to me, is follow the bibles, and because it is God's word, justify your, bigotries, prejudices, violence, wars, and hatreds with the word of God, :wall: BECAUSE HE LOVES YOU.. What could be wrong with that? EVERYTHING!  :wall:
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

stromboli

The New Testament is about Jesus Christ. Jesus was (supposedly) the fulfillment of prophecy. Jesus said several times that the Old Testament was valid
http://www.bethinking.org/bible/q-how-did-jesus-view-the-old-testament

and pretty much universally Christians refer to tenets of the Old Testament like the 10 commandments and other laws.

The problem with Christianity or any religion is not what it teaches but what it does. witness the continual attacks against atheists and gays as an example. Fundamentalist preachers from America have turned countries like Nigeria and Russia into hate mongering, antigay countries where harassment and violence are not only tolerated but in some cases law. Religion is the excuse for foisting Intelligent Design and Creationism on our students, denying evolution and shutting down Planned Parenthood in many states, removing easy access to birth control and many other intrusive things.

No one who has beliefs that can't be proven should have the right to foist their lifestyle or set of beliefs on people who are not believers or not of their faith. Yet religions everywhere do it continually. Christians aren't running around beheading people like ISIS is, but they have in the past, and still act in very insidious ways to coerce non christian activities.

AllPurposeAtheist

Oh, you humans I, God created and I'm perfect in every way just can't do anything right! --God

Oh wait..I must have fucked up the original human.. Oh well... Not so perfect so I'll just burn your asses for eternity unless you admit that even though my perfect plan and design is flawed... I'm perfect!
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Mermaid

The Christian message is one of judgment.

Fuck that.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

stromboli

Quote from: Mermaid on November 25, 2014, 06:23:54 PM
The Christian message is one of judgment.

Fuck that.

Yes indeed. Not you can be better, maybe you're not perfect but instead heaven/hell, pass/fail, believe/perish. And god is loving and forgiving? I've read statistics that the biblical dead attributed to god run from 2 to 10 million, not counting all the plagues,wars in god's name, natural disasters and you name it attributed to god since. If there is a god and he is that judgmental and destructive, couldn't call it a loving god. I think of that Catholic church in Haiti where all the believers ran inside seeking protection from god, only to have the church collapse and kill most of them. Science says run away from buildings. Somebody should have listened to science.

doorknob

I'd say most christians do not know what the christian message is. Probably because the message is confusing, and full of contradictions and in most cases right out lies.