News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Ferguson grand jury.

Started by Poison Tree, November 24, 2014, 11:36:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aitm

QuoteHe then reached through the window and grabbed onto Brown by the shirt and throat.

How does one reach through a window of a car and grab a guy 6'4" ish by the throat?

That aside. The long term problem is how do we get better cops then?

A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Poison Tree

Quote from: aitm on November 29, 2014, 02:34:04 PM
How does one reach through a window of a car and grab a guy 6'4" ish by the throat?
Presumably the same way someone in the driver's seat of a car gets punched in the right cheek (so hard that he thought the next punch could kill him) by the right fist of someone standing outside/leaning in the driver's window.

serious question; what type of vehicle was the officer in? I've seen it called a "car", "van" and "SUV" which could dramatically change how high the officer was/how tall he could reach as he sat in it.
"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide

aitm

Quote from: Poison Tree on November 29, 2014, 03:11:39 PM
Presumably the same way someone in the driver's seat of a car gets punched in the right cheek by the right fist of someone standing outside/leaning in the driver's window.

Hell, I been on both ends of that, not that hard, put you have to have a hell of a long arm to reach up sitting in a seat to get 6' ish.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Poison Tree on November 29, 2014, 03:11:39 PM
Presumably the same way someone in the driver's seat of a car gets punched in the right cheek (so hard that he thought the next punch could kill him) by the right fist of someone standing outside/leaning in the driver's window.

serious question; what type of vehicle was the officer in? I've seen it called a "car", "van" and "SUV" which could dramatically change how high the officer was/how tall he could reach as he sat in it.
We have SUVs and Chargers here mostly.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Berati

There are two issues I see that are going to limit any attempt at solving the problem of cops shooting black men. Until these issues are resolved this isn't going to go away even if they started hanging cops. (Though that might help a little)

One, liberals are going to hate and the other conservatives are going to hate.

The first is black crime. Black men are multiple times more likely to murder than white men. Concerning shootings like the Brown one, it does not matter at all the cause of high black murder rates so I won’t bother getting into that. It is simply a reality that this will lead to racial profiling even if at a subconscious level for the front line workers dealing with crime. i.e. the cops.
Here are the homicide numbers from the DoJ from 1980 to 2008: http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/htus8008.pdf

Quote“The offending rate for blacks (34.4 per 100,000) was almost
8 times higher than the rate for whites (4.5 per 100,000) (table 1).”

The second problem is gunsgunsgunsgunsguns. The insane obsession the United states has with handguns is guaranteed to create a jumpy high murder society especially among cops who are naturally going to suspect everyone of packing heat.

The video below is an example of a jumpy cop loosing his mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXmVPxQGTsE

Combine these two issues in a high population country like the US and the shooting death of Michael Brown is not an anomaly, it's guaranteed to happen.
Carl Sagan
"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

Gawdzilla Sama

Yep, thousands of times every day, definitely not an anomaly.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Poison Tree

Ok, got to resurrect this thread.
More evidence of the prosecutor shirking his duty. How can he justify putting people on the stand knowing they are lying? Apparently including one witness who lyed about being there, has a mental illness and a history of lying to interject herself into police matters.

I said it before, this process stinks to high heaven. I don't know if the shooting was justified--there probably wasn't enough evidence to establish that no matter what--but how the grand jury was handled was just bull shit. The prosecutor's going to present the jury with "all the evidence", even if some of it is known lies instead of, you know, actual evidence? Again, if he thought there wasn't evidence to proceed he should have just said so instead of flooding the grand jury with crap so that he can hide behind anonymous jurors. If McCulloch is this unwilling to do his job then it should no longer be his job.
"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide

Berati

Quote from: Poison Tree on December 20, 2014, 03:27:40 AM
Ok, got to resurrect this thread.
More evidence of the prosecutor shirking his duty. How can he justify putting people on the stand knowing they are lying? Apparently including one witness who lyed about being there, has a mental illness and a history of lying to interject herself into police matters.

I said it before, this process stinks to high heaven. I don't know if the shooting was justified--there probably wasn't enough evidence to establish that no matter what--but how the grand jury was handled was just bull shit. The prosecutor's going to present the jury with "all the evidence", even if some of it is known lies instead of, you know, actual evidence? Again, if he thought there wasn't evidence to proceed he should have just said so instead of flooding the grand jury with crap so that he can hide behind anonymous jurors. If McCulloch is this unwilling to do his job then it should no longer be his job.
The U.S. is about the only place still using Grand Juries. Since this format gives far more power to the prosecutor and prosecutors usually have close relationships with the police, there is definitely an issue with conflict of interest.
Why you don't just switch to the more adversarial method of preliminary hearings like most other common law nations is kinda weird at this point.
Carl Sagan
"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

Shiranu

QuoteWhy you don't just switch to the... like most other common law nations...

HAHAHAHA!! HAHAHAHAHHAAAAAAAAAHHHHHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!

HAAAHAAA!

HAHAHA!!!!

HA...haaaa...

United States... adopt rational policy that is proven to work in other countries... that is perhaps the best joke I have seen on the forum. That is just downright un-American, if we didn't invent it, it sucks and fuck you that's why.

(I laugh because it's depressing)
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur