News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Ferguson grand jury.

Started by Poison Tree, November 24, 2014, 11:36:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poison Tree

Ok, so the Ferguson grand jury decided not to indite, which should have been expected based on how the prosecutor handled it. And, as expected, people are freaking out and burning shit. I'm going to assume that this is sufficiently everywhere that I don't need a link.

My question is, why the fuck was the announcement made after dark? The earlier protests were peaceful during the day and violent at night. Why wouldn't you want as much daylight as possible after the announcement? If I'd been in charge I would have made the announcement Thanksgiving morning in a blatant attempt to minimize, as much as possible, this type of shit.
"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide

SGOS

My guess would be (and it's only a guess), that the police were mistakenly hoping the mob might cool down.  But I don't think it's any surprise that Ferguson has been anxiously waiting to riot for the last week.  Still, the lack of a timely response to the verdict is mysterious.  This morning was the first time I had actually read specific details of how the shooting occurred.  I doubt that everyone has the same opinion about what actually happened.  The crucial flash point seems to be the verdict, not the information that led to the verdict.  Nor do we know if the information was correct or not.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Poison Tree on November 24, 2014, 11:36:24 PM
Ok, so the Ferguson grand jury decided not to indite, which should have been expected based on how the prosecutor handled it. And, as expected, people are freaking out and burning shit. I'm going to assume that this is sufficiently everywhere that I don't need a link.

My question is, why the fuck was the announcement made after dark? The earlier protests were peaceful during the day and violent at night. Why wouldn't you want as much daylight as possible after the announcement? If I'd been in charge I would have made the announcement Thanksgiving morning in a blatant attempt to minimize, as much as possible, this type of shit.
Local news was showing people looting at 5 AM. I doubt the timing of the release was a factor in that. The local police chief said he wasn't informed as to when it would be released.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

FYI, I live 7 miles from Ferguson. My wife drives through there on her war to work and back. Or she used to, now she's going the Great Circle route.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

aitm

I agree the timing is puzzling, almost frustrating to the point of baffling. You KNOW,,hell everyone KNEW this would blow up. The morning should have been the chosen time.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

stromboli

What is sad to me is the fact that the rioting was a given. If the citizens of that area want change, they should do it by registering to vote and coming out en masse, and organizing efforts to create a better environment to work from with the city and the police.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: stromboli on November 25, 2014, 08:16:59 AM
What is sad to me is the fact that the rioting was a given. If the citizens of that area want change, they should do it by registering to vote and coming out en masse, and organizing efforts to create a better environment to work from with the city and the police.
They should have looted West County Center, not some discount clothing store. That would have gotten some serious attention.
PZ Myers

FaithIsFilth

This whole thing is ridiculous. Acting like a bunch of animals and burning down your community because a violent thug and thief pretty much committed suicide by cop.

Deidre32

Quote from: FaithIsFilth on November 25, 2014, 09:18:37 AM
This whole thing is ridiculous. Acting like a bunch of animals and burning down your community because a violent thug and thief pretty much committed suicide by cop.

Prisons are filled with these types, though. Imagine if all cops just shot them all dead? Guess we wouldn’t need a justice system then, eh?
While I don’t pretend to know all the facts and cops have a very hard job, do we suppose that most of the violent criminals in prisons surrendered willingly? Lol That they all went to jail peacefully?

If your life is in jeopardy, that’s one thing…but I’m sure there are MANY cops who have felt their lives were in jeopardy…that managed to arrest ‘’violent thugs.’’ (without resorting to shooting them first)
The only lasting beauty, is the beauty of the heart. - Rumi

stromboli

Almost sounds like a conspiracy theory that they did it that way. Realizing the riots would happen, they timed it for maximum effect, to set off the rioters and thereby justify more police presence and more bad press for the people that live there. And nothing useful is gained from this that I can see. Sad.

FaithIsFilth

Quote from: Deidre32 on November 25, 2014, 09:30:02 AM
Prisons are filled with these types, though. Imagine if all cops just shot them all dead? Guess we wouldn’t need a justice system then, eh?
While I don’t pretend to know all the facts and cops have a very hard job, do we suppose that most of the violent criminals in prisons surrendered willingly? Lol That they all went to jail peacefully?

If your life is in jeopardy, that’s one thing…but I’m sure there are MANY cops who have felt their lives were in jeopardy…that managed to arrest ‘’violent thugs.’’ (without resorting to shooting them first)

He was clearly not a very good thug (you're supposed to run from the cops, not attack them and go for their gun). He attacked a cop. At that point, I have no sympathy when you are shot dead. I don't know exactly what happened, but when you start attacking a cop, especially when you are much bigger than him, you are asking to die.

AllPurposeAtheist

QuoteAt that point, I have no sympathy when you are shot dead. I don't know exactly what happened, but when

So you have no sympathy even though you don't have a fucking clue what really happened other than MSM press releases and assume cops are all good guys and anyone not kowtowing to police must be bad? Please, do tell exactly what you DO know to pass such a judgement..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

stromboli

Cops are people. I have worked with them and frankly they didn't impress me much. Some of them join to do good, but many join so they can be bullies with a badge. Every situation involving a cop should start at square one- never assume automatically the cop is the good guy. Unfortunately, many killings or highly improper behavior by police have been glossed over to supposedly protect the good guy image. I'm against it- they should be as accountable as anyone, and too often aren't.

FaithIsFilth

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on November 25, 2014, 10:15:47 AM
So you have no sympathy even though you don't have a fucking clue what really happened other than MSM press releases and assume cops are all good guys and anyone not kowtowing to police must be bad? Please, do tell exactly what you DO know to pass such a judgement..
No, I don't support the police state. I don't know that the police officer acted exactly as he was supposed to after he was attacked. What I was trying to say is that I have no sympathy for Brown whether the cop did what he was supposed to do by the book or not. Brown attacked and went for the gun. I don't care if he was in the process of putting up his hands or whatever a couple seconds before he died. He attacked and went for the gun and he was responsible for putting the cops mind into survival mode, and so he paid for his actions.

If they could prove the cop did something wrong he should have had to deal with the consequences. They couldn't.

aitm

Well, I was convinced who the bad guy was when I saw the vid of the kid shoving the little guy around after he stole the cigars. He was a bully.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust