News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Where Do You Stand?

Started by Solitary, November 16, 2014, 10:42:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solitary

However pathetic these human scum are, they do not deserve to be attacked for simply espousing their views.  The unique thing in this case was that the police officer, who saw the Muslim attack the man, sided with the Muslim.  Here’s where free speech gets tricky.

As you watch this, and feel the hate boil up in you, are you on the side of free speech or do you want the man to be silenced? Do you secretly cheer for the Muslim as he headbutts a man who is exercising his rights to free (hate) speech, causing him to bleed profusely from the mouth?

Where do you draw the line between hate speech and free speech? Different people’s standards for hatred are different.

http://youtu.be/yJvGGuLrVzo
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Mermaid

I am all for free speech. There are assholes everywhere and there will be disagreements and conflict everywhere. This is a video of two people saying "You're a doodiehead. No you're a doodiehead. Well, you're a double secret doodiehead".
These people are perfectly within the law by arguing and being assholes. Arguing like this will accomplish nothing but to keep two assholes, and the police, occupied for a while. If one says the other is going to Hell, who the F cares? The line is crossed when one physically assaults the other, and that is when the law needs to step in. Bloviating is not against the law. Assault is. The cops are annoyed, and rightfully so, because everyone is acting like a 12 year old douchebag. Anyone who was involved here with physical assault should be arrested for physical assault, but it's a judgment call on the cops in an inflammatory crowd situation.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Solitary

Thanks for replying! I think the problem is, where does free speech cross the line and become inciting violence. I still see this as two religious, so-called, idealistic beliefs clashing because of a belief in magic and God, both claiming they're religions of peace, when they are really self righteous twits that think theirs is the only one that is correct, just like we do with ours.  :eek:  :lol: This really isn't funny, and I have no doubt things are going to get worse when the politicians get involved and we have a civil war.   Solitary 

GrinningYMIR

I believe in free speech, I believe that one guy has the right to call another "a fucking douchenozzle", doesn't mean I like being called a fucking douchenozzle, I just believe he has the right to say it. I agree with Mermaid in that sense, its all fine and good to make asses of yourselves in public until it involves physical assault/alteractions, then it has reached the point where it is illegal, because it is not legal to beat the hell out of someone, even though it happens quite often.

Still, people, particularly in my generation, have grown up hearing that any insult or slander is a deadly sin, in its own way it reminds me of the thought police in 1984, looks like orwell was off by about thirty years
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Solitary

It's called being politically correct now.  :eek: :biggrin:

GrinningYMIR

Somewhere along the line free speech turned into the devil and the thought police was renamed Politically correct
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Solitary

And we know who started this politically correct BS, the republican politicians.  :axe:

Mermaid

Quote from: Solitary on November 16, 2014, 11:41:12 AM
Thanks for replying! I think the problem is, where does free speech cross the line and become inciting violence.
To me, the answer to that is when the first punch is thrown. Once it becomes physical, the game is different. I am keeping in mind the Westboro Baptist Church and their extreme douchebaggery at funerals of tragic victims and fallen soldiers in the name of free speech. I would SO want to break their noses and injure their genitals, but I would also expect to be arrested for doing so. (MAN, though, wouldn't that feel good!?)

A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Green Bottle

Everybody is entitled to believe what they like wether any of us agree with it or not but standing on a street corner with placards and a megaphone preachin religious rubbish shouldnt be allowed, i have no sympathy for the guy who got headbutted or for the muslim guy who was mouthing off also with his islam shite , they all should've been arrested  end of.
And once again the police stood by and let the situation escalate.....
God doesnt exist, but if he did id tell him to ''Fuck Off''

Mermaid

I am trying to envision scenarios in which I think just words should not be allowed. The best example I could come up with is standing outside an abortion clinic with graphic photos of bloody and dismembered fetuses, harrassing the entrants. I still think these people should be able to do that if they are in a public area.

It's a slippery slope when the law starts to prohibit people from saying unpopular things in public. Freedom of speech is VERY important.

Solitary

There are a lot of people out there that think atheist forums should not be allowed either. There are very good reasons why free speech should be allowed as long as it doesn't ask for hate and violence.

Green Bottle

Quote from: Mermaid on November 16, 2014, 05:47:51 PM
I am trying to envision scenarios in which I think just words should not be allowed. The best example I could come up with is standing outside an abortion clinic with graphic photos of bloody and dismembered fetuses, harrassing the entrants. I still think these people should be able to do that if they are in a public area.

It's a slippery slope when the law starts to prohibit people from saying unpopular things in public. Freedom of speech is VERY important.

Quote from: Solitary on November 16, 2014, 06:25:18 PM
There are a lot of people out there that think atheist forums should not be allowed either. There are very good reasons why free speech should be allowed as long as it doesn't ask for hate and violence.

I agree with you both about freedom of speech but when it comes to religion preaching on street corners or on tv or anywhere else except in churches, chapels,or mosques etc where it belongs i say no, lock them all up an throw away the fkn keys..........  too harsh u think ?   well i dont an i make no apologies for it.
God doesnt exist, but if he did id tell him to ''Fuck Off''

Johan

I think the problem is, where does free speech cross the line and become inciting violence. 
Where? In all sorts of places. The problem is its not at all a straight or remotely predictable line. The 'where' is all over the map. Speech that would drive one person to violence might only illicit a chuckle from other people. I think the closest you could get to defining any sort of line on this would be speech that would be far and away without a doubt over the line to the vast majority of citizens. And that line leaves a ton of gray area.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Solitary

It really is a problem, because it isn't a black and white issue, where even the middle ground doesn't always work. I wish religion would stay only as a private matter, in Church, churches, or what ever, and out of our face and politics all the time. Why does it seem that everyone thinks it is OK to bend over back to religion and never question it? Those scared childish people thinking they have knowledge from ancient scripts, when all they have is ignorance from insane men, that's why! Why are women always second class citizens in religious societies based on the bible? Because of Eve in those same ignorant scripts. Religious thinking is primitive, and based on fear, and power to control people for the benefit of men that hold the reigns. In my opinion, or not.  :axe: Solitary

hrdlr110

Thanks for replying! I think the problem is, where does free speech cross the line and become inciting violence. I still see this as two religious, so-called, idealistic beliefs clashing because of a belief in magic and God, both claiming they're religions of peace, when they are really self righteous twits that think theirs is the only one that is correct, just like we do with ours.  :eek:  :lol: This really isn't funny, and I have no doubt things are going to get worse when the politicians get involved and we have a civil war.   Solitary 

Nothing like we do with our lack of belief actually! To be exactly like them we'd need to threaten them with eternal torture if they didn't quit believing! It wouldn't get that heated if they were arguing burgerKing vs McDonald's. I find it laughable that neither have any proof, yet insist they have it right! Hilarious, until someone loses a head!
Q for theists; how can there be freewill and miracles? And, how can prayer exist in an environment as regimented as "gods plan"?

"I'm a polyatheist, there are many gods I don't believe in." - Dan Fouts