Getting Fired For What One Says That Isn't Politically Correct

Started by Solitary, November 14, 2014, 03:43:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solitary

First of all you didn't answer my question, Do you think it would be alright if your boss found out you were on an atheist forum and fired you?

QuoteShe is a teacher. While other people's children are in her classroom, she is responsible for their care, well being and education. She made statements on an atheist forum which publicly identify her as an atheist, or at the very least a person with non Christian opinions. Are you really going to argue that it is unreasonable for parents to have a problem with their children being in the care of and being taught by an atheist? Are you really going to try and make that case? Do you understand what I'm getting at, or are you so blinded by your political correctness that you don't understand my point? 

What I think is that my employment is at-will and therefore right or not, it is perfectly legal for my boss for fire me if he knew I was active on atheist forum which is exactly why I do not allow my boss, nor anyone else where I work, know that I am an atheist or that I am active on an atheist forum.
You are missing the point, he can find out if he goes to this site which they did on that woman. Legal is not the same as right!  I'm not talking about what she did in class, or might do.

QuoteArticle VI

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized. I guess this doesn't count at airports, or by businesses.

Article XI

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Johan

Quote from: Solitary on November 15, 2014, 04:12:48 PM
First of all you didn't answer my question, Do you think it would be alright if your boss found out you were on an atheist forum and fired you?
I didn't answer because its not an apples to apples question. The reality is, if I were fired for being atheist and could prove it, I would likely lawyer up and go after them for job discrimination based on religious beliefs which is ilegal. Don't know if I'd really have a case, but I'd likely try. I mean the theists seem to have no trouble considering atheism to be a religion when it suits their purposes so why not try to do the same when it suits my purpose.

Now if you want to make it an apples to apples question then I would say yes. Yes if I were a teacher I would not be the least bit surprised if I were fired for making racists statements on social media. Remember that it is very common for students and teachers to follow each other on social media. So saying something there IS saying it to your students.

If this woman worked in a factory making widgets and was fired after making these tweets on an account which in no way shape or form tied her to the widget company, then I would agree with you. But being a teacher is different kind of job. And that job requires employees to maintain certain standards of ethics and conduct while on the job AND while in public or anywhere else students may have access to. If you don't like it, consider a different line of work.

QuoteYou are missing the point, he can find out if he goes to this site which they did on that woman. Legal is not the same as right!  I'm not talking about what she did in class, or might do.
Do you think its an accident that my real name is not found anywhere on this site? Likewise the email I use to set up my account on this site and others is an address that I use only that purpose. I'm not saying it would be impossible to identify me if someone really wanted to, but it would be extremely difficult.

And that's MY point. Whether anyone likes it or not doesn't matter. The fact remains that the history of employers firing people for these sorts of transgressions is well established. If this woman can genuinely say that she was surprised that making controversial tweets would have an impact on her employment as a teacher, then she is a class 1 imbecile.  She absolutely should have known better.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Solitary

:pai:On Friday, Hegwood tweeted the following: "Who the f--k made you dumb duck a-- crackers think I give a squat f--k about your opinions about my opinions RE" #Ferguson? Kill yourselves."

In Duncanville, there was speculation on social media that Hegwood, who had tweeted actively during the turmoil in Ferguson in August, was responding to angry online retorts directed at her. Hegwood, who has been with the school district for two years, could not be reached for comment.

You still think I'm wrong? You still think she was being prejudice?

Johan

Quote from: Solitary on November 15, 2014, 05:06:54 PM
You still think I'm wrong?
Yep. She was a teacher. She said kill yourself motherfucker to people in public. Teachers get fired for that sort of thing. In a word, duh.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Solitary

Where did she say that? She said kill yourself in response to being badgered like you are doing to me with Duh!  Take a flying leap (pun intended) back to the Midwest where you belong!  :butt:

Johan

Solitary

Mermaid

Quote#Ferguson Kill yourselves," read one of the messages Hegwood allegedly sent.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Solitary

Quote from: Johan on November 15, 2014, 05:35:01 PM
Where did she say kill yourselves? Twitter.
Here is the actual twitter response she made, and I don't see motherfucker anywhere. Duh!  :razz: 

Mermaid

A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Johan

Quote from: Solitary on November 15, 2014, 05:56:09 PM
Here is the actual twitter response she made, and I don't see motherfucker anywhere. Duh!  :razz: 
You are correct, I was mistaken. Point still stands and is still every bit as valid

I get that you don't like that she was fired over this and that you think it isn't fair. Life isn't always fair. About that only advice I can offer is that you should probably not consider a career as a teacher.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Minimalist on November 14, 2014, 06:54:28 PM

Um, no.  "Freedom of speech" means that the government cannot toss someone's ass in jail for saying something no matter how reprehensible it might be.

An employer is under no obligation to tolerate racist views by an employee.
This.

This has nothing to do with the government. It has to do with how the business, in this case it was a school, wants to represent it's self. If the person running the business wants to not be associated with someone that is outspoken about their opposing world view, they have every right to disconnect from them. It doesn't matter if the view is on point or completely bigoted; it's the employer's call.

Freedom of speech isn't freedom from consequence for what you say.

Solitary

Quote from: Johan on November 15, 2014, 07:20:10 PM
You are correct, I was mistaken. Point still stands and is still every bit as valid

I get that you don't like that she was fired over this and that you think it isn't fair. Life isn't always fair. About that only advice I can offer is that you should probably not consider a career as a teacher.
Really? I'm 72 years old and I don't know life isn't always fair? So that's the way it should when it doesn't have to be? And what's with the snide remark I shouldn't be teacher? I don't need your advice, and I sure as hell not looking for your approval, but thanks for admitting you were wrong. And I have already mentioned here I was teacher in our local school district for almost 20 years, and I did get run out of a job because, they couldn't fire me---told to them by their lawyers for being an atheist, when the Mormon management found out another man and I were atheists. He got $20,000, and I got full retirement. So yes, I am a little prejudice about this. Why do you keep not telling the truth and making Hasty generalizations, Missing the point evidence, and Ad hominem attacks on me instead of providing answers to what I ask? Doing these kinds of things doesn't help your argument, right or wrong. I've said what I have to say on the matter. And no, I don't agree to disagree!  Solitary

Poison Tree

I'm a little sympathetic because her employer--assuming it was a public school, which it appears to be--is "the government" so they do have to be more careful then a normal employer would and, with the prevalence of social media, people are increasingly facing repercussions for public statements that in the past would have been private.

However, I do think that what she said was probably grounds for her removal. Certainly if I were her boss I'd not want her to be representing my company nor would I be inclined to risk any backlash over keeping her as an employee.
"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide