THIS Is Why I Stay The F**k Out Of Starbucks

Started by stromboli, October 30, 2014, 10:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/30/starbucks-ebola-gay-community-_n_6077940.html

QuoteThe pastor of a New York church which sparked controversy after posting a billboard which claimed that "Jesus would stone homos" is back in the headlines.

Pastor James David Manning of the ATLAH Worldwide Missionary is now taking aim at Starbucks, claiming that the coffee giant is "ground zero for Ebola" because franchises, particularly in urban areas, are meeting places for "generally upscale sodomites" interested in "clandestine sexual activities," Towleroad is reporting.

"I am now on the Ebola watch, warning people to stay away from Starbucks," he says in a new "Manning Report" clip. Starbucks locations, he adds, attracts "a large number of sodomites and the [lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender] crowd that usually, and continue to, approach the idea of sex, intercourse and dating on a lower, less visible, less social scale because of the nature of what they want to do."

Manning's argument also takes shots at President Barack Obama, too: "Remember, I told you back in 2007 that Obama was a homo."

The pastor's remarks come on the heels of a release of the first Starbucks commercial geared toward the LGBT community, starring "RuPaul's Drag Race" veterans Adore Delano and Bianca Del Rio.

Starbucks, of course, has a history of being an outspoken advocate for the LGBT community. In 2012, the Seattle-based coffee chain joined a then-growing list of major corporations in publicly endorsing same-sex marriage legislation in Washington state.

Earlier this year, officials raised raised a Pride flag over the Starbucks headquarters in Seattle.

Boy howdy. I live a few blocks from a Starbucks. Every time I drive by I see them, in flowered shirts and their Rose Pink Miatas and Beemers. Sitting OUTSIDE at the tables, making no effort to hide it. In UTAH no less. What the fuck is this world coming to?

:naughty:

Minimalist

Hmm.... I stay out of Starbucks because their coffee tastes like shit.
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

AllPurposeAtheist

So don't go. I'm pretty certain Starbucks will survive without either of you. It's not my favorite coffee and tends to attract a yuppie crowd, but whatever.. I won't stay away because of some fucked up preacher.. Funny though, they're right in a Baptist hospital right here in South Carolina and there's usually a long line of people waiting to buy coffee there..  I guess Baptists like raking in the cash too even if it means having to submit to buttsex and bitter coffee and ebola. :think:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

stromboli

Actually, the reason I don't go to Starbucks is because their coffee does suck. My son got a latte' or something there, and I asked for a cup of coffee. It was really bad. Apparently ordinary coffee is beyond their means. I make good coffee a lot cheaper at home with my coffee press.

PickelledEggs

NOOOOO where else am I going to get my Double Mocha Frappuchino???????

That guy sounded like he had a real struggle with his vowel movement.

I usually don't go to Starbucks unless I'm going on a date because it is so expensive. Otherwise I just make black tea from home. Maybe I will frequent it more often now.

AllPurposeAtheist

I've had good coffee at SB and I've had crap there too. It usually depends on who's working on any given day.. Personally I prefer Briosos in Columbus Ohio. It's less expensive, the girls better looking and it is always fresh roasted in the store the day they serve it to you.

Atheon

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

SGOS

I stop at Starbucks on occasion.  It's pricey stuff, so I don't go there a lot.  By the pound, it's more than twice as expensive in the grocery store than a similar whole bean coffee.  The cheaper whole bean coffee is expensive to begin with, so doubling the price to get slightly better coffee seems like an unnecessary indulgence.  After all, coffee can only be so good, and squeezing the extra flavor out of a bean runs into the law of diminishing returns.  I do splurge on occasion, but only once or twice a year.  I especially like their Starbucks Sumatra. 

Obviously, coffee is a matter of taste.  I had this friend that would buy brown paper bagged "Sumatra" beans at a flea market somewhere for two dollars a pound.  He was proud of himself for being such a smart shopper.  I won't say that his coffee sucked, but it had no flavor at all.  It was like boiled wood fiber with some Maxwell House added to give it some flavor.  I think the guy selling it had found an outlet that specialized in buying up left over beans that had been sitting on a shipping dock in the rain for too long.

The nearest Starbucks to me is 40 miles away in a college town.  I see a lot of professional looking people there, as well as a lot of students.  I'm no better at identifying a yuppie than I am a gay person, so I don't know if these people are pretentious wannabes or if they just like the coffee.  The first time I tried Starbucks, I thought it was unusually strong, but by the end of the cup, I could see something in it that would turn many coffee drinkers on.  I thought at first they just used more beans to make a cup, but if I double or triple the amount of coffee in my brewer at home, I can never get it to taste like Starbucks.  So it's not that it's stronger.  It's somehow just bolder, like they leave more flavor in the bean during their roasting process.

I don't know what coffee is supposed to taste like.  Most of our lives, us older people grew up drinking ground Folgers or the like out of one pound cans.  On camping trips, I would take this freeze dried instant stuff, which I thought was OK, but I think the stuff we've come to know as coffee is just something corporate America shoved down our throats and got us to think this is the way coffee was supposed to be, but I think as usual, they were just fucking us over because we didn't know any better.

stromboli

I don't know for sure that the people that frequent Starbucks are gay or whatever, but I do know that some people I used to work with that are pretentious wannabes frequent it, because I've seen them there. I like my coffee/French press because I can make coffee double strength and it is never bitter, and I decide what beans go in it. And I can grind the coffee the way I want it and do it at home. And in my case I hate waiting in line, because there is always some douche with a complaint or that interrupts proceedings to ask idiot questions or whatever. Generally don't have much patience with people.

I honestly think its as much about atmosphere as anything, and I don't do that. The best restaurant I used to eat at in Connecticut was a little pizza place in Norwich a few miles up the road from the Navy base, and it was a grungy little 5 table place that mostly did takeout, and their pizza was fabulous and their atmosphere was pure greasy peeling wallpaper. The only person I saw there more than once was a fat hippie lady that would read your palm for spare change.

SGOS

Yeah, I don't see the atmosphere at Starbucks I go to.  Some are better than others with comfy chairs and couches, but the one nearest me, has a long line of customers serviced by a production oriented staff.  Most customers leave with their coffee.  A few hang out with their computers, but it's more like a busy take out atmosphere.  Even the ones furnished to be comfortable gathering places tend to make me antsy.  I might sit for a while, but I usually leave with still half my coffee and drink it while I'm driving.

The Skeletal Atheist

Honestly the local Starbucks near me makes some damn good coffee. Maybe folks where y'all live just don't know how to make coffee.

Also I can confirm that this queer frequents Starbucks and the occasional independent coffee shop.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

PickelledEggs

Yeah. I've never heard until this thread that Starbucks made bad coffee. It's either that they only go to starbucks because the coffee is so good, or they don't go to starbucks because it's more expensive.

Solitary

I tried SB's coffee once! I've drank chicory that was better.  :toilet:
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Munch

Quote from: PickelledEggs on October 30, 2014, 11:56:02 PM
NOOOOO where else am I going to get my Double Mocha Frappuchino???????

That guy sounded like he had a real struggle with his vowel movement.

I usually don't go to Starbucks unless I'm going on a date because it is so expensive. Otherwise I just make black tea from home. Maybe I will frequent it more often now.

Luckily I got my last pumpkin spice latte today so I'm good for now.

Wait, so starbucks is a staging ground of hot sodomy action and gay orgies? :D

I'll order the vanilla spice latte with 'Extra Cream' on top! :D

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

AllPurposeAtheist

Starbucks won't pay for me to pick you beans so I smuggle cocaine in and everyone happy.. :biggrin: