News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Thoughts on Bronies

Started by Munch, October 24, 2014, 02:53:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drunkenshoe

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

GrinningYMIR

Okay...for the first time I am alarmed by someone in the brony community

https://plus.google.com/u/1/b/112635091793903265387/114127626747600304606/posts/NpZtw81eWgf

How does THIS equate to Brony ideals? An islamist with pics of burning US and UK flags side by side with Ponies and friendship

something here is fucked
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Gerard

Interrrrrrrrrrrrresting thoughts BY bronies.....

Gerard

Munch

Maybe its just me, but I'd sooner be in a room having a conversation with old J. Jonah Jameson, then i would with diamond bitch. At least JJ has some lovable moments.

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Gerard

There is an Anti Brony Brotherhood......

Gerard

dtq123

Quote from: Gerard on July 18, 2015, 08:46:12 PM
There is an Anti Brony Brotherhood......
I've heard of the Anti-Brony Coalition (ABC :eyes:)

They are like Christians, plenty to laugh about, until it's not funny...

ABC are like AF's (Anti Furries) Except AF's has done something, and not in a good way.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2014/dec/07/furries-convention-chlorine-gas-sickens-19-people

Still keeps me up at night, and no one in real life knows that I'm a brony loving furry :sad:.
A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

Hydra009

Quote from: GrinningYMIR on July 18, 2015, 06:23:04 PM
Okay...for the first time I am alarmed by someone in the brony community

https://plus.google.com/u/1/b/112635091793903265387/114127626747600304606/posts/NpZtw81eWgf

How does THIS equate to Brony ideals? An islamist with pics of burning US and UK flags side by side with Ponies and friendship

something here is fucked
I had to scroll down a long, long way down the posts to find anything pony related, and even then, it's EG stuff and some non-pony memes.  Just sounds like some dumbass islamist kid first and foremost.  Besides, this stuff has all kinds of fans all over the world.  I'm not terribly surprised by the occassional nutjob.

Hydra009

I know I'm beating a dead unicorn here, but I finally found a video that perfectly addresses the whole "Ick, a brony!" reaction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rweyvTfS9zE

My thoughts on concern #3, "obsession":  Yeah, I'm actually waaay more into sci-fi shows and gaming.  MLP is like a tertiary interest for me.  Basically, this is like accusing Keith Richards of being obsessed with weed.

If I had to rate the intensity of my feelings towards tv shows I've watched recently, mlp would probably be somewhere in the middle.  I'm actually more of a fan of the fan-generated content than the official content, if that makes any sense.

Munch

That's the thing you can definitely say about this mlp generation, the intelligence of the writing is far and above light years from every other incarnation of it prior to now. Every other one only ever appealed to the little girl demographic and nothing else, much like toy adverts.

Though, who the fuck knows what they were trying to appeal to with this thing.

Mlp fim might have a lot of jokes and reference in the show, like Dr who or the big lebowski, or innuendos kids won't get, but so did Aladdin with the genie. In fact you could compare discord on par with the genie in terms of comic timing.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: dtq123 on July 18, 2015, 11:32:45 PM
I've heard of the Anti-Brony Coalition (ABC :eyes:)

They are like Christians, plenty to laugh about, until it's not funny...

ABC are like AF's (Anti Furries) Except AF's has done something, and not in a good way.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2014/dec/07/furries-convention-chlorine-gas-sickens-19-people

Still keeps me up at night, and no one in real life knows that I'm a brony loving furry :sad:.

Oh my. That's...I don't know what to say. Fucking insanity.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

aitm

It is only through this forum that I am even aware of things called, "bronies" and I fully admit that if I met adults who told me they watch episodes of "My little Pony" religiously, I would seriously, seriously move to the next room. Sorry, but….well….yeah.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

dtq123

Quote from: aitm on July 19, 2015, 10:15:28 AM
It is only through this forum that I am even aware of things called, "bronies" and I fully admit that if I met adults who told me they watch episodes of "My little Pony" religiously, I would seriously, seriously move to the next room. Sorry, but….well….yeah.
Not all people are religiously into that stuff. Some are just common people with ponies as decor.
A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

Munch

Quote from: aitm on July 19, 2015, 10:15:28 AM

*shrug* I watch it, this is from the same show makers as dexters lab, and I loved dexters lab.

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on July 19, 2015, 04:47:59 AM
That's the thing you can definitely say about this mlp generation, the intelligence of the writing is far and above light years from every other incarnation of it prior to now. Every other one only ever appealed to the little girl demographic and nothing else, much like toy adverts.

Though, who the fuck knows what they were trying to appeal to with this thing.

Girl-show ghetto (pink and cutesy, because that's all girls are into) + not giving a shit because "kids can't tell the difference".

Munch

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 19, 2015, 11:50:26 AM
Girl-show ghetto (pink and cutesy, because that's all girls are into) + not giving a shit because "kids can't tell the difference".

agreed. though I always did think the concepts of putting a label on the color system to be meaningless in the grand scheme of things, since when going back a little ways, pink use to be the color associated with boys and blue was the color associated with girls.

end of the day, colors don't matter old standards of boys only like rough stuff and thats how it should be, and girls only like cutey things and thats how it should be, it makes people miss out on interesting and creative things. Hell, I had rainbow bright and my little pony toys as a kid while my brother had he-man and thundercats, but I wanted to play with the he-man/thundercat stuff to, while he didn't want anything to do with my little pony or rainbow bright.

(then again both he-man and my little pony where campy as all hell in their own way)

The irony is, that well as a kid I played with mlp and rainbow bright, as well as he-man and thundercats toys (my brothers hand me downs), and watch both kinds of kids shows while my brother only watch the things 'the boys liked', as it stands today, when talking movies, I can discuss loads of different movies I like, from animation to horror, to chick flicks and romance movies to gay romance movies to action films, while my brother is very limited on his range of movies he likes, mostly ones in the same vane as tarantino and cop comedy films.
He even once said brokeback mountain was shit, when he hadn't even seen the film.

This is why I like Lauren Faust, she really seemed to understand you can find a balance between both sides without forcing one side to accept an aspect they might not like. Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, power puff girls, cats don't dance, I've liked all these series and movies.

btw, Darla Dimple, most under-appreciated bad guy in animation.