Yet Another in the Deluge of Faith Based Movies

Started by SGOS, October 24, 2014, 07:59:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

23 Blast is another Christian movie offering, this time making it to a relatively high 33% on Rotten Tomatoes in the earliest of reviews.  But I'm sure it will be a hit among the pious.  After all, it's about football, and you know how much football players love to grandstand their beliefs.  They actually pray to God after making a touchdown.  Making a touchdown!  Now there's something to thank God for as it does so much to alleviate mankind's suffering and further acts of human kindness.  Or wait.  Maybe it's just about a football player's need to be a star.

At any rate, the dam of Christian emotion in Hollywood is still flooding local theaters, as more schmaltzy Christian fare inspires the lost and found.

http://www.flickfilosopher.com/2014/10/23-blast-movie-review-play-football-heaven.html

Quote23 Blast movie review: do they play football in Heaven?
23 Blast red light   

The clunky script and amateurish performances are not unexpected in the faith-based genre, but its dubious “inspiration” gives even diehard-atheist me pause. --MaryAnn Johanson

Munch

Christians are becoming desperate due to the growing rise of atheism (people getting smarter) and other religions.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

AllPurposeAtheist

Yeah but....almost every player in the NFL now gets his own special foundation to give leftover football gear to 'deserving' students and the unique ability to get scholarships to play college football for GOD! HAIL MARY! /snark
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

stromboli

Quote from: Munch on October 24, 2014, 08:47:05 AM
Christians are becoming desperate due to the growing rise of atheism (people getting smarter) and other religions.

Saw a pretty low budget movie made by the Assemblies of God back in the day about the Rapture. I'm thinking $27.50 production costs, a Bell & Howell 8MM and a church of people who thought they could act. Ironically it had about the same production values and quality as the millions of dollars Hollywood product.

Which proves that stupid is still stupid, no matter how you dress it up.

hrdlr110

Quote from: SGOS on October 24, 2014, 07:59:31 AM
23 Blast is another Christian movie offering, this time making it to a relatively high 33% on Rotten Tomatoes in the earliest of reviews.  But I'm sure it will be a hit among the pious.  After all, it's about football, and you know how much football players love to grandstand their beliefs.  They actually pray to God after making a touchdown.  Making a touchdown!  Now there's something to thank God for as it does so much to alleviate mankind's suffering and further acts of human kindness.  Or wait.  Maybe it's just about a football player's need to be a star.

At any rate, the dam of Christian emotion in Hollywood is still flooding local theaters, as more schmaltzy Christian fare inspires the lost and found.

http://www.flickfilosopher.com/2014/10/23-blast-movie-review-play-football-heaven.html

I was an atheist football player,  and never once prayed after scoring!  Don't lump footballers with godfolk. Those that do pray on the field  are only praying to be seen praying, which I  find hilarious. They look really stupid!
Q for theists; how can there be freewill and miracles? And, how can prayer exist in an environment as regimented as "gods plan"?

"I'm a polyatheist, there are many gods I don't believe in." - Dan Fouts

SGOS

Quote from: hrdlr110 on October 24, 2014, 10:41:38 PM
I was an atheist football player,  and never once prayed after scoring!  Don't lump footballers with godfolk.
You're right, and I apologize.  I generalized from a few, although I meant it to be understood that's what I was doing.  Those few taint the game with their showboating.  I find it disgusting.  There should be a penalty for delay of game.

Atheon

Damn... what's with this rash of religiobot movies? Left Behind (why make a new one when one was already made a decade ago?), Noah (wasn't there a Noah TV movie about 15 years ago?), God's Not Dead (so there, hmph!), etc., all popping up one after another before crashing and burning (like the Republican presidential candidates of 2012), all of them god-awful (see what I did there), and none convincing anyone but the already god-soaked?
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

AllPurposeAtheist

It's one big circle jerk of money. The wealthy pious have to get out the word to the less wealthy that if they just give money and pray hard enough god will bless them with wealth as well..

Here's how praying makes people rich..Wealthy investors prayed for this part of the shelter to close and be sold for the party house for the $250,000 condos across the street and the guys in the other part of the shelter pray and the wealthy ones get the old church to party in.. The homeless guys will get rich if they pray hard enough..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Solitary

Couldn't faith based movies be classified as ignorance based movies thinking they are knowledge based movies?  :wall: Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

SGOS

Quote from: Solitary on October 25, 2014, 12:06:36 PM
Couldn't faith based movies be classified as ignorance based movies thinking they are knowledge based movies?  :wall: Solitary
"Faith based" is just popular phrase.  There's faith based this and faith based that.  "It generally means it's a good thing, this."  It's politically correct, so what it actually means doesn't necessarily mean what is says it means. 

stromboli

I hate to tell you this, but its getting worse........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Principle

QuoteThe Principle is an upcoming documentary film produced by Rick Delano and Robert Sungenis questioning the Copernican principle and discussing geocentricism. The film will open in Chicago on October 24, 2014. The film is narrated by Kate Mulgrew and features scientists such as Lawrence M. Krauss and Michio Kaku.

QuoteFollowing the release of the film's trailer, narrator Kate Mulgrew said that she was misinformed as to the purpose of the documentary.[7][8] Max Tegmark claims that DeLano "cleverly tricked a whole bunch of us scientists into thinking that they were independent filmmakers doing an ordinary cosmology documentary, without mentioning anything about their hidden agenda."[9] George Ellis has said that "I was interviewed for it but they did not disclose this agenda, which of course is nonsense. I don't think it's worth responding to -- it just gives them publicity. To ignore is the best policy. But for the record, I totally disavow that silly agenda."[9] Michio Kaku said that the film was likely "clever editing" of his statements and bordered on "intellectual dishonesty"[2] and Lawrence Krauss said he had no recollection of being interviewed for the film and would have refused to be in it if he had known more about it, but later recants.[10][11] [12] Julian Barbour claims he never gave permission to be in the film.[13]

Talk about bullshit. They tricked Mulgrew (Star Trek: Voyager) and the scientists without revealing the true content of the movie.

Atheon

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

SGOS

Quote from: stromboli on October 25, 2014, 12:27:20 PM

QuoteThe Principle is an upcoming documentary film produced by Rick Delano and Robert Sungenis questioning the Copernican principle and discussing geocentricism. The film will open in Chicago on October 24, 2014. The film is narrated by Kate Mulgrew and features scientists such as Lawrence M. Krauss and Michio Kaku.

It's about time!  The public has been brainwashed into believing that we are not the center of the universe, when it's so easy to see that we are.

Munch

Cinemas allow for this shit to be shown simply because of the mass amounts of Christians there are around. Its not based on reason and on the ability to defuse the ignorant ramblings of people who think fairy tales are real, its quite simply Argumentum ad populum
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin