News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Jesus by any other name.

Started by Mike Cl, October 17, 2014, 09:39:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cl

A snippet from Carrier's new book--"on the Historicity of Jesus; Why We Might Have Reason for Doubt.
"The name 'Jesus Christ' literally means 'Savior Messiah', which actually just means 'Annointed Savior'.  The author of the Gospel of Matthew was well aware of this, and even made a point of it.  Jesus is an English derivation from the Greek spelling of the Hebrew name Joshua (Yeshua), which means 'Yahweh saves'. Christ is from the Greek christos, meaning 'annointed', which in Hebrew is masiah, 'messiah'.
     That should make us suspicious from the start.  Isn't his name abnormally convenient?"

Yeah, I would think so.  But the fundies would most likely simply say that that was the way god planned it.  Logic is not the long suit of the religious.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

the_antithesis

Quote from: Mike Cl on October 17, 2014, 09:39:48 PM
"... Isn't his name abnormally convenient?"

Particularly since he shall be called Immanuel.

No one ever fucking calls him that.

stromboli

Quote from: Mike Cl on October 17, 2014, 09:39:48 PM
A snippet from Carrier's new book--"on the Historicity of Jesus; Why We Might Have Reason for Doubt.
"The name 'Jesus Christ' literally means 'Savior Messiah', which actually just means 'Annointed Savior'.  The author of the Gospel of Matthew was well aware of this, and even made a point of it.  Jesus is an English derivation from the Greek spelling of the Hebrew name Joshua (Yeshua), which means 'Yahweh saves'. Christ is from the Greek christos, meaning 'annointed', which in Hebrew is masiah, 'messiah'.
     That should make us suspicious from the start.  Isn't his name abnormally convenient?"

Yeah, I would think so.  But the fundies would most likely simply say that that was the way god planned it.  Logic is not the long suit of the religious.

Which reminds me of something......... while being a member of a A of G church, I got to hear a lot of speaking in tongues. Not being a tongue speaker myself, and actually listening to the babble being said, I noticed that words like "Mashiah" and "Christos" were inserted along with other Hebrew sounding words, and a lot of plain gobbledegook. I have a degree in English Lit and studied language, so I know that a lot of it was just crap, not words or anything but BS noises. Daresay it caused me to get suspicious about the whole thing.......

PickelledEggs

I met Jesus last night. Fun guy.

Green Bottle

Quote from: PickelledEggs on October 17, 2014, 10:49:02 PM
I met Jesus last night. Fun guy.
Ahhhh, but what one was it?

was it jesus h christ or was it jesus fucking christ?
so easy to get them mixed up ye know..... :axe:
God doesnt exist, but if he did id tell him to ''Fuck Off''

Minimalist

I asked Jesus to stop by but he was working.

The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Solitary

I anointed a virgin  :angel: when in high school, and she said, "Oh my God!"---while I planted my seed in her. Thank God she didn't have an immaculate birth.  :pray: :eek:  :rolleyes: 
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Desdinova

Quote from: Solitary on October 20, 2014, 12:03:45 PM
I anointed a virgin  :angel: when in high school, and she said, "Oh my God!"---while I planted my seed in her. Thank God she didn't have an immaculate birth.  :pray: :eek:  :rolleyes:

I did the same except mine said "Ewww! You're sweaty!"  and "Ouch!  You're on my hair!".   :sad2:
"How long will we be
Waiting, for your modern messiah
To take away all the hatred
That darkens the light in your eye"
  -Disturbed, Liberate