Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Oregon Governor's Scandal

Started by SGOS, October 11, 2014, 04:55:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: lyeman on October 12, 2014, 05:27:02 PM
Such enlightening discussion.

A while back, my mom was gossipping about some stuff in a People/Enquirer special issue or something that hinted that Hillary was a lesbian with a staffer of hers. I told her that this kind of thing was created specifically so that people wouldn't talk about actual policy.

It's kind of like the Royal Family in Britain. They're not really parasites, because they serve a very valuable function, which is to distract from the policies of the government itself. While the tabloids were buzzing about the stupid hats people wore at the royal wedding, politicians were stealing millions to pay for houses, Parliament was authorizing perpetual war, the welfare state was bankrupting the nation, and the world's central banks were subsidizing Great Depression III. But nobody cares because that one lady wore a stupid hat and that one nurse killed herself after giving out information to the press.
Yeah...welfare state bankrupting perpetual war.. how disgusting when there's so many people still alive left to kill..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Aroura33

I agree this kind of shit is stupid.  His fiancé did something immoral 17 years ago?  What has that got to do with him?

Kitzhaber is about as honest a politician as you can find, IMHO.  I'm sure he's shady, they all are, but I trust him more than most.  I don't care what his fiancé did almost 2 decades ago, and neither should anyone else except him and people close to her.  This kind of stuff, just like with Clinton, is making a mountain out of mole hill to distract from real issues.  Vote for me, look this other guy's fiancé had an illicit marriage 20 years ago, he's not trustworthy!  <----common tactic, it makes no sense but it works on so many small minded people.

Republicans want Oregon BACK, they don't want Kitzhaber in office.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: Aroura33 on October 12, 2014, 10:17:22 PM
I agree this kind of shit is stupid.  His fiancé did something immoral 17 years ago?  What has that got to do with him?

Kitzhaber is about as honest a politician as you can find, IMHO.  I'm sure he's shady, they all are, but I trust him more than most.  I don't care what his fiancé did almost 2 decades ago, and neither should anyone else except him and people close to her.  This kind of stuff, just like with Clinton, is making a mountain out of mole hill to distract from real issues.  Vote for me, look this other guy's fiancé had an illicit marriage 20 years ago, he's not trustworthy!  <----common tactic, it makes no sense but it works on so many small minded people.

Republicans want Oregon BACK, they don't want Kitzhaber in office.

The article also talks her using her influence as de facto first lady to get business for her consulting business. That is the kind of stuff that politicians ought to go to jail for including her husband if he illegally used his office for financial gain.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Minimalist

This seems as if it is more her scandal than his.

The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

SGOS

Quote from: Minimalist on October 14, 2014, 02:31:08 AM
This seems as if it is more her scandal than his.
I think it is.  At most, it paints the governor as a mark for a con-woman.  But it's a great way to denigrate him in a campaign without having to get into political issues.