News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Religion is bullshit,but

Started by Outnumbered, February 26, 2013, 02:17:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Outnumbered

You know, Religeon is pretty obviously a bunch of bullshit. But unfortunately, a very high percentage of everything else is also bullshit. How about politics, advertising, military strategy for starters. How about the oil industry? With so much of everything being run on inherent dishonesty, how does the truth about anything have even a small chance of going mainstream?

Plu

It never will. But then, you don't have to be mainstream and there's nothing preventing you from being honest. Just don't expect to become a millionaire or a rockstar for being honest.

St Giordano Bruno

Quote from: "Outnumbered"You know, Religeon is pretty obviously a bunch of bullshit. But unfortunately, a very high percentage of everything else is also bullshit. How about politics, advertising, military strategy for starters. How about the oil industry? With so much of everything being run on inherent dishonesty, how does the truth about anything have even a small chance of going mainstream?

And real bullshit is bullshit, stinks too. Humanshit is even worse
Voltaire - "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities"

Thumpalumpacus

Military strategy isn't bullshit.
<insert witty aphorism here>

Simon Moon

Quote from: "Outnumbered"How about politics, advertising, military strategy for starters. How about the oil industry? With so much of everything being run on inherent dishonesty, how does the truth about anything have even a small chance of going mainstream?

There's a huge difference between those things and religion.

Those are all based on reality.

Religion, not so much...
And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Davka

The military is bullshit. "Military strategy" is a euphemism for "how many brown people can we kill and get away with it?"

'Kill Anything That Moves'

Johan

Quote from: "Outnumbered"You know, Religeon is pretty obviously a bunch of bullshit. But unfortunately, a very high percentage of everything else is also bullshit. How about politics, advertising, military strategy for starters. How about the oil industry? With so much of everything being run on inherent dishonesty, how does the truth about anything have even a small chance of going mainstream?
Military strategies are not dishonest. What the military tells the public and its own service people about the strategy might be, the strategy itself is what it is. I think you're confusing military strategy with military public relations.

But your question has already been answered. It doesn't matter there is so much dishonesty in various industries and organizations. You have no real control over any of those anyway so it doesn't matter. But you do have control over yourself. You also have control over whom you choose to associate with and invest your time and emotional energy into. So you can make yourself an honest person and you can choose to invest your time and energy into other individuals who appear to do the same.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Davka

Quote from: "Johan"I think you're confusing military strategy with military public relations.
Point taken.

Youssuf Ramadan

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"Military strategy isn't bullshit.

Not all the time, but Haig's was somewhat suspect..... then I guess hindsight is a wonderful thing.   :-k

Alaric I

Politics itself is not bullshit, the political process however has become bullshit.  I wonder how much you know about military strategy.  As indicated earler it is what is reported to the public that is bullshit.  As far as the truth going mainstream, it will take some time to really get any truth out.  Honestly, if people told the truth about everything we would be so pissed off there probably would be no peace.

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "Davka"The military is bullshit. "Military strategy" is a euphemism for "how many brown people can we kill and get away with it?"

You  are applying ideology ineptly.  Also, I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but there's more to military strategy than one war, fifty years ago, where strategy wasn't formulated at the military level, but rather at the political level.

Tell us what you know about military strategy.

Outnumbered

I accept that symantics enters into the point I was trying to make. I'm sure the military actually does know what they are planning. But entering into wars on trumped up reasons qualifies as bull shit to me. For example, the non existent naval attack that was used as a reason to start the Vietnam Nam war. Ask Colin Powell about Iraq's weapons of mass destruction with some hind sight. The term bull shit might come up.  The point I was trying to make is that the stuff that atheists get upset about is not confined to religeon. We can change our little part of the world immediately around us to an extent. But there is so much integrated crap out there, that any real change is a very daunting task.

billhilly

Quote from: "Outnumbered"I accept that symantics enters into the point I was trying to make. I'm sure the military actually does know what they are planning. But entering into wars on trumped up reasons qualifies as bull shit to me. For example, the non existent naval attack that was used as a reason to start the Vietnam Nam war. Ask Colin Powell about Iraq's weapons of mass destruction with some hind sight. The term bull shit might come up.  The point I was trying to make is that the stuff that atheists get upset about is not confined to religeon. We can change our little part of the world immediately around us to an extent. But there is so much integrated crap out there, that any real change is a very daunting task.

Dude,  that's not military strategy.  That's geopolitical strategy.  There's a difference.

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "Youssuf Ramadan"
Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"Military strategy isn't bullshit.

Not all the time, but Haig's was somewhat suspect..... then I guess hindsight is a wonderful thing.   :-k

Oh, there're plenty of failed strategies, and frontal assaults on a fortified position are stupid.  It didn't take hindsight either.  Had Haig studied Cold Harbor at all, he would have seen the dangers of his chosen strategy, especially considering that the defenders of 1916 had automatic guns and more powerful explosives -- not to mention gases, weapons unavailable to Confederate troops.

Quote from: "billhilly"Dude,  that's not military strategy.  That's geopolitical strategy.  There's a difference.

And even so, comparing geopolitical strategy to religion is a category error.

Davka

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"
Quote from: "Davka"The military is bullshit. "Military strategy" is a euphemism for "how many brown people can we kill and get away with it?"

You  are applying ideology ineptly.  Also, I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but there's more to military strategy than one war, fifty years ago, where strategy wasn't formulated at the military level, but rather at the political level.

Tell us what you know about military strategy.
I know that military strategy in the USA has been formulated at the political level for well over 50 years.

What do you know? Do you know that we don't currently have soldiers in the Middle East who are routinely killing brown people to jack up their body count, but that information about American military atrocities in Iraq and Afghanistan won't be publicly available for another 50 years?

Military strategy only works in war games. Real war is much too messy for such niceties.