News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Herd Mentality

Started by Deidre32, October 08, 2014, 05:59:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deidre32

I remember back in high school, when everyone was concerned with conforming and being accepted. Interestingly, I've noticed this same behavior where I work, in occasional social settings, and online. So, I decided to a little research, and apparently...''herd mentality'' is a survival tactic and a rather 'natural' human behavior. This author of this article suggested that as humans, we wish to be accepted by our peers, our communities, and our co-workers. Okay, I get that. But, suppose the herd is a bunch of douche bags? Suppose the herd is full of bullies, and people who, if you dissent from the herd, will shun you? So, a person should merely go along with the herd, for survival? To be liked? To be accepted?

I'm not a herd follower, and I never have been. It is a quality that I cannot stand in adults. Children, ok. They're children. But when I see this behavior displayed amongst adults, I feel like I'm watching a bad comedian bomb over and over again. I just cringe. Now, there's nothing wrong with agreeing with the herd, if you genuinely agree with the herd. But, if you don't, and you are merely kissing asses as to be accepted...what are you really gaining? Fake friends? A phony network of people who enjoy you kissing their asses?

Equally interesting, I read an article last year about bullying, and how the psychology behind people who are groupies of the bullies, really don't like the bullies at all, as might be perceived from an outsider. Rather, people don't want to ever become the target of the bullies, so they befriend them. It's pretty interesting. I'd rather live on a deserted island, not compromising my values or ideas, if the only other option was to be in a community filled with people who expect me to agree with them, or be shunned.

So, I'm curious...do you ever see this behavior displayed in your everyday life? If so, do you react?

Hopeful to have a meaningful discussion about it.

Where's the smileys? :=P
The only lasting beauty, is the beauty of the heart. - Rumi

stromboli

I hate to tell you this, but high school pretty much defines and sets who we are. The jocks and preppies are still there in an altered form, along with the cheerleaders and nerds. It never changes.

Mr.Obvious

Herd mentality is an unescapable human trait. It's not inherently bad, nor good. It just is. Everybody conforms to some things and some people in some aspects in their lives sometimes.

While there are many dangers in the inherent herd mentality of our species, especially in our present day Western culture focussed mainly on the created need for individuality, this does not mean that it's a bad quality in and by itself. It just is. In some instances, like bullying etc. I would agree that it is better to go against 'the herd'. But at it's core, herd mentality is simply one of the defining aspects of our species; a social species.
Trust, selfishlessness, comradery, love, ... these are things that came out of the herd-life of our ancestors and have grown and evolved along with us to this day. Without the herd mentality, we wouldn't even experience these things let alone be able to name them. It were those packs and herds of our ancestors that learned to work together and to work well survived. Those that could recognize their peers and felt bonded to them and so would try to save them if they could... those were the connections that could face the outer world. There is strength in unity, as there is strength in individuality.

I'm both a part of the collective and an individual. I recognize both sides, for both make me who I am.
QuoteEVERY MAN is in certain respects;
a. like all other men,
b. like some other men,
c. like no other man.

source: Henry A. Murray and Clyde Kluckhohn, from Personality in Nature, Society, and Culture (1953).
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Deidre32

Quote from: stromboli on October 08, 2014, 06:14:05 PM
I hate to tell you this, but high school pretty much defines and sets who we are. The jocks and preppies are still there in an altered form, along with the cheerleaders and nerds. It never changes.
perhaps, but we have the ability to not follow the herd. depends on how badly one wishes to 'fit in,' I suppose. everyone wants to fit in...to varying degrees...but high school's over.

Deidre32

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on October 08, 2014, 06:28:51 PM
Herd mentality is an unescapable human trait. It's not inherently bad, nor good. It just is. Everybody conforms to some things and some people in some aspects in their lives sometimes.

While there are many dangers in the inherent herd mentality of our species, especially in our present day Western culture focussed mainly on the created need for individuality, this does not mean that it's a bad quality in and by itself. It just is. In some instances, like bullying etc. I would agree that it is better to go against 'the herd'. But at it's core, herd mentality is simply one of the defining aspects of our species; a social species.
Trust, selfishlessness, comradery, love, ... these are things that came out of the herd-life of our ancestors and have grown and evolved along with us to this day. Without the herd mentality, we wouldn't even experience these things let alone be able to name them. It were those packs and herds of our ancestors that learned to work together and to work well survived. Those that could recognize their peers and felt bonded to them and so would try to save them if they could... those were the connections that could face the outer world. There is strength in unity, as there is strength in individuality.

I'm both a part of the collective and an individual. I recognize both sides, for both make me who I am.
source: Henry A. Murray and Clyde Kluckhohn, from Personality in Nature, Society, and Culture (1953).

I wish I could add to this brilliant post, but I can't. It's that brilliant. :=)
Seriously, excellent points. I should have spent a little more time on my OP...and clarified that I'm thinking more along the lines of bullying/herd mentality, as opposed to people forming tribal units throughout history ...to form cohesive bonds, as a tool for survival. Wanting to be a part of 'something greater,' is very much a human trait, and not inherently bad.

stromboli

Quote from: Deidre32 on October 08, 2014, 07:48:49 PM
perhaps, but we have the ability to not follow the herd. depends on how badly one wishes to 'fit in,' I suppose. everyone wants to fit in...to varying degrees...but high school's over.

I worked for the defense department all told for 28 years, in several different jobs, starting as an aircraft welder. I left as a Technical Editor because they finally found a job that fit my degree; I got turned down for several management positions in that time, maybe half a dozen. I actually had a case where I was the senior person for the job, nailed the interview- because I was the most qualified- and they canceled the job slot just to not promote me. All through that time I saw the repetitive buddy promoting buddy and same cliquishness that existed in high school. After a long time and the obvious problem created by promoting incompetent yes men into mid and upper management positions, and near the end of my employment before retirement, they promoted a "think outside the box" line of BS. I was an outside the box thinker from day one, which mostly got me targeted as an oddball. The only thing think outside the box did was label you as not a team player.

I was moved twice for pointing out incorrect and/or illegal methods being used by management avoiding safety issues; so much for thinking outside the box. I can't speak much for private industry, but I can tell you the good ol' boy network definitely exists in the DOD. I retired as a GS-9 and would've been a GS-11, a big pay raise, but I would have had to wait like 4 years, and I had enough time and couldn't stand the place any longer. I actually held down 4 jobs at the end- Technical Editor, Assistant facilities manager, equipment custodian and I ran the break room coffee fund and party fund. Fuck em.'

aitm

the "herd mentality" is always dependent on the threat to the herd. The less the threat the less the "herd"..the greater the threat the more the "herd", as it should be.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

stromboli

Quote from: aitm on October 08, 2014, 08:28:34 PM
the "herd mentality" is always dependent on the threat to the herd. The less the threat the less the "herd"..the greater the threat the more the "herd", as it should be.

Yeah, if you want to see herd mentality visit a Mormon church. We're talking sheep, so more technically a flock mentality.

aitm

the "herd mentality" is probably,,and arguably the single greatest survival ....whatchamacallit that animals have developed.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Mermaid

Quote from: Deidre32 on October 08, 2014, 05:59:00 PM
But, suppose the herd is a bunch of douche bags? Suppose the herd is full of bullies, and people who, if you dissent from the herd, will shun you? So, a person should merely go along with the herd, for survival? To be liked? To be accepted?

Nope. You find a different herd.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

aitm

Quote from: Mermaid on October 08, 2014, 08:54:02 PM

History would suggest that survival over rules ones personal views of their position in the "herd".

Mike Cl

Quote from: stromboli on October 08, 2014, 06:14:05 PM
To some degree I suppose.  I was kind of in both worlds in HS.  I wanted to fit, but never really felt that I did fit any 'group'.  I was on the football team--even played both ways so I was on the field for the entire game.  So, I guess I was in the football team group, but not in the 'inner group'.  I admit I was much more a nerd than jock, but I did not fit there either.  I kind of bounced around.  I hated HS.  I wanted a 'herd' in the worst way.  I had a similar experience in the Army.  Have to be in a herd there--I just did not like it all that much.  Then when I became a teacher I had to be in a 'herd' of fellow teachers.  That was better because by this time I had accepted that I did not like being in a 'herd' and found that it was becoming easier for me to personally deal with that feeling.  So I sought to work in the 'continuation school' system, which was much smaller.  I worked at a school with 4 teachers, counting me.  That was a good experience because all 4 of us were 'outsider' types.  Then I moved on to a Juvenile Hall slot in which I was the only teacher; the job grew until we had to have one more teacher.  That was my niche.  The two of us worked well together. 

I have now accepted the fact that I usually don't like being in any herd and that the herd mentality I find distasteful.  I am a loner, basically, and like it like that.  Me, myself and I, make great company; whereas that used to cause angst a bit, it no longer does.  I kinda like the motto--leave me the fuck alone!  I no longer am the nerdy/jock hybrid from HS.  And that gives me satisfaction.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Mike Cl

Quote from: Mermaid on October 08, 2014, 08:54:02 PM
Or come to accept the idea of living outside the herd.  Or being outside it in the areas we can be. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Deidre32

Quote from: stromboli on October 08, 2014, 08:23:24 PM
I worked for the defense department all told for 28 years, in several different jobs, starting as an aircraft welder. I left as a Technical Editor because they finally found a job that fit my degree; I got turned down for several management positions in that time, maybe half a dozen. I actually had a case where I was the senior person for the job, nailed the interview- because I was the most qualified- and they canceled the job slot just to not promote me. All through that time I saw the repetitive buddy promoting buddy and same cliquishness that existed in high school. After a long time and the obvious problem created by promoting incompetent yes men into mid and upper management positions, and near the end of my employment before retirement, they promoted a "think outside the box" line of BS. I was an outside the box thinker from day one, which mostly got me targeted as an oddball. The only thing think outside the box did was label you as not a team player.

I was moved twice for pointing out incorrect and/or illegal methods being used by management avoiding safety issues; so much for thinking outside the box. I can't speak much for private industry, but I can tell you the good ol' boy network definitely exists in the DOD. I retired as a GS-9 and would've been a GS-11, a big pay raise, but I would have had to wait like 4 years, and I had enough time and couldn't stand the place any longer. I actually held down 4 jobs at the end- Technical Editor, Assistant facilities manager, equipment custodian and I ran the break room coffee fund and party fund. Fuck em.'

This is it! This type of thing was exactly what I had in mind that prompted my thread. Whether it's at work, or in social networks, or online...this is what I mean. I'm so sorry you went through this. It's so wrong. I hate herd mentality. I always stick up for the under dog because I've been the under dog before. I deactivated facebook over herd mentality gone wild. I remember one day I popped on to look at some of my friends' updates...one friend posted something frivolous...a selfie of her holding a cup of coffee, and her status was...something along the lines of ''caffeine overdose.'' She had a ton of 'likes'...and comments. I have another friend who on that same day posted that she had received high honors at her job, and she was getting a promotion. She had a handful of likes and no comments. Well, I commented.

My friend with the coffee pic was the more popular one than the other. It got to the point, where this crap was the norm...and I eventually deactivated my page. I find FB to be an absolute joke of a site, as it breeds herd mentality, and competitiveness.

Your story is exactly all that is wrong with our world...herd mentality gone bad.

Deidre32

Quote from: Mike Cl on October 08, 2014, 09:21:55 PM
Or come to accept the idea of living outside the herd.  Or being outside it in the areas we can be. 

so much this.