'white' lesbian couple sue sperm bank over black baby

Started by Munch, October 04, 2014, 12:13:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

This is... I just... must.. face palm...

Quotehttp://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/white-ohio-woman-sues-sperm-black-donor-25918281

An Ohio woman has sued a Chicago-area sperm bank after she became pregnant with sperm donated by a black man instead of a white man as she and her partner had intended.

The woman is seeking damages and wants to ensure the sperm bank doesn't make a similar mistake again.

Within days of their wedding in New York, Jennifer Cramblett and Amanda Zinkon had become pregnant with the donor sperm. In April 2012, five months into her pregnancy, Cramblett, 36, called Midwest Sperm Bank LLC outside Chicago to reserve sperm from the same donor in the hope that Zinkon, 29, would someday also have a child.

That's when Cramblett learned from a sperm bank employee that she had been inseminated with sperm from the wrong donor, according to a lawsuit filed Monday against Midwest Sperm Bank in Cook County, Illinois.

Cramblett said they had chosen sperm from a man known as No. 380, a white donor. The sperm used for insemination came from No. 330, a black donor, she said.

"How could they make a mistake that was so personal?" Cramblett said during a telephone interview on Wednesday.

According to the lawsuit, her excitement about the pending birth was replaced with "anger, disappointment and fear."

"They took a personal choice, a personal decision and took it on themselves to make that choice for us out of pure negligence," Cramblett said.

A woman who answered the telephone at Midwest Sperm Bank on Thursday would not comment and said an attorney would be providing a statement. She would not give her name or identify the attorney.

Cramblett said she and Zinkon love their 2-year-old daughter, Payton, very much and wouldn't change anything about her. But they are concerned about raising her in the predominantly white community where they live.

The lawsuit said they had moved from Akron to Uniontown for better schools and to be closer to Cramblett's family. She said that as a lesbian she has felt the sting of prejudice but doesn't know what it's like to be mistreated because of skin color.

Therapists have recommended that Cramblett, Zinkon and Payton move to a more racially diverse community with good schools, the lawsuit said.

Cramblett said she decided to sue to prevent the sperm bank from making the same mistake again. The lawsuit says the sperm bank has no electronic record-keeping and no quality controls that would have prevented it from sending the wrong sperm to fertility clinics.

The lawsuit seeks a minimum of $50,000 in damages. Cramblett's attorney, Tim Misny, said some of the compensation would pay for ongoing counseling.

I've been looking at other articles about this report, and while I do agree that a sperm bank should take responsibility for which sperm sample goes where.. its the reaction of the lesbian couple that staggers me. They are going all out to make a case that their own child is a mistake, so imagine when that child grows up and see what her two moms were doing when she was born.

Also, the funniest thing, is the reaction one of the mothers has, that because they, a lesbian couple, live in an all white area, they are afraid of their daughter being discriminated against for being black..

So it doesn't once click in his bingbats minds that maybe if someone is going to discriminate against a black girl in that area, maybe, JUST maybe, they might also point how the fact the girl has two mothers and no father?
I'm gay and obviously want equality for anyone to have children, but these two morons acting like having a black child when regardless of the kids skin color, she would also be faced with people making comments on lesbians having children, it didn't cross there minds?

Either they have issues with black people and its their reason for wanting to live in an all white community, or they are just that stupid.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Hydra009

The sperm bank probably had a first come, first serve policy.

AllPurposeAtheist

In other news.. Right wing groups take up the cause to......protect....the.... rights.....of......?
Oh yeah...white couples to not have black kids..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Solitary

Q. How do you cancel an appointment at the sperm bank?
A. Ring them up and say you can't come.
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Shiranu

QuoteAlso, the funniest thing, is the reaction one of the mothers has, that because they, a lesbian couple, live in an all white area, they are afraid of their daughter being discriminated against for being black..

Yeah, if I was to marry a black woman (or even a Hispanic woman where I live, which is like... 80%+ white) I would be scared that my child would be discriminated against to.

I don't know how it is where you live, but racism is still a kinda big deal over here.

QuoteI'm gay and obviously want equality for anyone to have children, but these two morons acting like having a black child when regardless of the kids skin color, she would also be faced with people making comments on lesbians having children, it didn't cross there minds?

So... she needed MORE things to be harassed over, and they are "stupid" for being upset when they were not given the child they had chosen? Okay then...
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Jason78

Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

_Xenu_

I just feel bad for the kid. This story is on the Internet, and hence immortal. She will run across it eventually.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

stromboli

And a harbinger of things to come.... designer babies, made to order.

Hijiri Byakuren

But the baby wouldn't be black, it would be multi-racial. These women are being ridiculous and racist.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Shiranu

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on October 04, 2014, 03:42:04 PM
But the baby wouldn't be black, it would be multi-racial. These women are being ridiculous and racist.

Multi-racial, at least here, is even worse... it means a white person married *GASP* a black person! Unacceptable, that.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Solitary

A thought: Why is a racially mixed person with a black, considered black and not white, or whatever? I think we know why. I don't think it necessarily means they sued because they are bigots or prejudice. If I ordered a white car and they gave me a black one it would not be because I don't like a black one, it would just mean I wanted a white one. Why is the black card always brought up? My wife's nephew has three mixed race children after one died young from leukemia, he gets more grief from black people than white people, the sword of bigotry cuts both ways. Is there anyone that doesn't think Halli Berry is better looking than if she were black or white?  :drool: Are we not all human?  :wall: Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

aitm

they ordered vanilla and got chocolate..would that be reason enough to send a malt back? Or a ice cream cone? IF something that simple can be sent back would one think that having a child of a chosen "color" be something that one cannot complain about? I mean, we are talking about having a child that I imagine you paid some money for, in a certain for certain way that you want it, I would think that a certain amount of certainty would be expected.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Shiranu on October 04, 2014, 03:47:14 PM
Multi-racial, at least here, is even worse... it means a white person married *GASP* a black person! Unacceptable, that.
Nothing at all about having a child means marriage..unless you were born in 1959 like me of course..
All I can think of really is to suggest they teach the kid all the words to the song Substitute by the Who..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Shiranu

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on October 05, 2014, 05:21:37 AM
Nothing at all about having a child means marriage..unless you were born in 1959 like me of course..
All I can think of really is to suggest they teach the kid all the words to the song Substitute by the Who..

*sigh*

Fine, it means a white person *GASP* had sex with a black person.

Hijiri Byakuren

My problem is simply: an otherwise-healthy baby is the center of a lawsuit because its skin color throws off someone's attempt at eugenics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18PbwYdjsps
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel