News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Moving Soon...

Started by wolf39us, September 29, 2014, 10:42:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolf39us

So I think I've finally had it with Florida.  I've been talking about getting the hell out of this sauna for the last few months.  My lease ends in February which kind of stinks because that's the worst time to move anywhere north of here.  I'm thinking about just going home for 5 or 10 years or until most of my friends disappear due to family, wives, kids etc. 

I've been here 4 years and really haven't gotten far in establishing much unfortunately.  I got a job that's pretty comfy and get paid okay... but it just feels like a dead end.  I came here because you know, the grass is greener and because I thought I would get used to this hell-ish heat.

Now that I've been spending the last few months just trying to find work remotely from 1,300 miles away (home is New Haven, CT area) I found out pretty quickly what a pain this is.  When I really think about it... wtf am I going to do? Fly up there every time someone calls me for an interview?

Then there is the issue of moving itself.  Coming here was easy I just filled the car with a bunch of my crap and hit the gas.  Now there's my stuff and the girlfriend's stuff + 2 scooters and furniture.  I can try to sell everything or I can move it all, I really am not sure what to do.

Solitary

Good luck with your move! Get a U haul and hit the gas. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

stromboli

I was stationed at New London in the Navy. I always liked Connecticut, especially in the fall. Took a drive with a buddy from New Haven upstate, up through the mountains and over into New York. Went up route 91 and then over to route 90 and into New York. This right after Halloween. Neither of us had a camera, I'm ashamed to say. Love Boston and all of that area. Wouldn't mind living there now.

AllPurposeAtheist

Sell high, buy low.. Living out of suitcases beats moving a bunch of crap multiple times in a life. 
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Green Bottle

Here's what you do wolf, sell all the stuff that you and your gf dont really need and also the furniture, hire or buy a small van/truck for whats left + the 2 scooters and off ye both go and dont look back...........sorted   :dance:
God doesnt exist, but if he did id tell him to ''Fuck Off''

stromboli

Make a decision on how valuable the furniture is first. DON'T hire a moving company without first checking them out thoroughly. There are a lot of shady movers that will charge you up front and then demand more money later.

A Uhaul truck can be rented that will hold a great deal that doesn't require a chauffer's license, and they are much cheaper than movers. I worked for a real estate company part time years ago, and we used an old Uhaul truck to move stuff for people as a courtesy when they bought a house. We could put just about all their furniture in one load. And you can rent a towbar to tow your vehicle. I don't think you'll be crossing any massive mountain ranges to get there, so you should be fine.

aitm

a) talk to the landlord, see if they will give you a two month extension? Why not are they filled up?
b) start dumping shit you don't need.....that may involve the gf...LOLOOL..er.....skip that part
c) this is where I start posting in the drunk thread.....hey..good luck.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

wolf39us

So my dad told me that I should probably just sell what I can and throw the scooters onto a cargo trailer after installing a hitch on my 2012 Honda Civic.  I thought this might be okay until I read that the car is only rated at 1,000lbs and that exceeding that will void my warranty.  I also took a look at some forums on civics and most people are saying that it's simply a bad idea for long distance... which puts me back at square 1 unfortunately.

It looks like I might need to sell our bikes and buy new ones later, idk

aitm

There might be some other ways. Maybe finding someone heading that way and share a truck?  Mover going back that way after a one way? Empty trucker heading that way? Nothing lost by posting and see what bites on Craiglist or ..whatever hell other thingys they got out there now.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Jason78

Quote from: wolf39us on September 29, 2014, 10:42:29 AM
Then there is the issue of moving itself.  Coming here was easy I just filled the car with a bunch of my crap and hit the gas.  Now there's my stuff and the girlfriend's stuff + 2 scooters and furniture.  I can try to sell everything or I can move it all, I really am not sure what to do.

Not trying to hijack your thread or anything, but I'm moving too.  This time around, I'm hiring a couple of guys with a van to shift everything.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

AllPurposeAtheist

Think of renting a truck to haul all your crap, bikes included? You can always stick a trailer on the back of a rented truck because they don't care if you burn up their transmissions..  :shhh:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.