Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

agree or disagree

Started by doorknob, September 28, 2014, 11:39:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: GSOgymrat on September 28, 2014, 04:41:38 PM
Agree.

An example, a child and her peers learning she has a low IQ score.
I'm sorry little Tiffany, but your parents gave birth to an inferior child with a low IQ. Guess which one.. I'm sorry..You're an only child?
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Jmpty

There are many things that don't need to be known, like what goes on in the kitchen of your favorite eatery.
???  ??

Jason78

Quote from: doorknob on September 28, 2014, 11:39:48 AM
There are some things we are better off not knowing.

Probably, but we wont know about them until we find out what they are will we?
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

PickelledEggs

I disagree. But that doesn't mean I always like the things I know. Sometimes learning about something can be very depressing, but if I had a choice, I'd always choose to know it rather never have learnt it. Curiosity will kill this cat and I think I'm fine with that.... but I will figure that out when it happens.

aitm

Oh hell yes. I don't want and never want to know what it looks like to watch someone cut a kids head off. I never want to know what it feels like to have your own head cut off. I never want to know what it feels like to lose your child or grandchild to some murderous piece of shit. I never want to know what it is like to watch your child or grandchild die from cancer. Hell yes there are some things I am better off not knowing.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

NeoLogic26

Quote from: Mermaid on September 28, 2014, 11:41:48 AM
Agree.

Example: I think if we didn't understand our own mortality, we'd probably be happier in life. I know not everyone would agree that this would make us "better off", but I think I do.
Depends on how you define "better off". If, for you, that means happier, then I guess you have a point.  I don't think happiness is necessarily the rubric we should be using here.  More knowledge, rather than less, is going to be better in the long run even if it hurts at first.  A harsh truth is better than a comforting lie (or ignorance).
"For me, I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you." - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Hydra009

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on September 28, 2014, 03:07:26 PM
There are in fact some things we're better off not knowing such as how many grey hairs on Mitch McConnell's pubic area and if you disagree you need to seek professional help.

*tugs*

PickelledEggs

Quote from: aitm on September 28, 2014, 09:49:09 PM
Oh hell yes. I don't want and never want to know what it looks like to watch someone cut a kids head off. I never want to know what it feels like to have your own head cut off. I never want to know what it feels like to lose your child or grandchild to some murderous piece of shit. I never want to know what it is like to watch your child or grandchild die from cancer. Hell yes there are some things I am better off not knowing.

Oh wait. I change my mind. I agree.... I forgot how much I'm afraid of blood and violence :(

Hydra009

Just for the record, the question was about knowledge, not experiences.  Obviously, none of us would want to personally experience torture, for example.

Munch

Quote from: doorknob on September 28, 2014, 11:39:48 AM
with this statement:

There are some things we are better off not knowing.

hmm..

The answer to this really comes down to the individual, and if they can handle such knowledge and truths. Some people can't, others have thicker skin.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

SGOS

One of things you are better off NOT knowing is whether I agree or disagree with something.

stromboli

Situational. I don't, for example, want to know how many hostages are being held by some guy on General Hospital (my wife watches it) or M. McConnell's pubes. Life, death, the important shit I'll find out about.

Like I really don't want to know about my 90 year old Mormon sister's relationship with her daughters because I can't stand any of them. Navy boot camp was a better alternative back in the day. They are one of the reasons I joined the Navy, to get the fuck out of town, so to speak. The other was a "greetings from your president" letter.

Munch

Quote from: stromboli on September 30, 2014, 10:09:54 AM

Like I really don't want to know about my 90 year old Mormon sister's relationship with her daughters because I can't stand any of them. Navy boot camp was a better alternative back in the day. They are one of the reasons I joined the Navy, to get the fuck out of town, so to speak. The other was a "greetings from your president" letter.

Hehe, I dunno why but I find this awesome ^^, I get fed up hearing about how amazing my own nephews are, yet when I see them all they do is run riot, scream, shit themselves and cry at any altercation. Apparently what is 'amazing' is a vague situation.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Youssuf Ramadan

Quote from: LoriPinkAngel on September 28, 2014, 04:06:29 PM
Some things just don't matter.

Yep.  Including reality TV and dumb-ass magazines like Hello.  I couldn't give a monkey's chuff whether Katie Price has had another child by yet another bloke or whether David Beckham wears his wife's shreddies.  I don't fucking care....

Whether we're 'better off' not knowing about mundane crap is a moot point, but surely our brains would be better used on things more meaningful.

Desdinova

Disagree.  (Caveat: We are talking about knowledge, not experiences as Hydra pointed out.  And the information is not trivial in nature. )  However, if vast awareness of the universe and the meaning of life comes with the unfortunate knowledge of congressional pubic hair enumerations then count me out. 
"How long will we be
Waiting, for your modern messiah
To take away all the hatred
That darkens the light in your eye"
  -Disturbed, Liberate