News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

agree or disagree

Started by doorknob, September 28, 2014, 11:39:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doorknob

with this statement:

There are some things we are better off not knowing.

Mermaid

Agree.

Example: I think if we didn't understand our own mortality, we'd probably be happier in life. I know not everyone would agree that this would make us "better off", but I think I do.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Hydra009

Mermaid

More clarification: a lot of (at least or me) anxiety comes from the what-ifs. If you are unaware of the what-ifs, you are more able to live in the present.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

stromboli

Situational. If you are a 2nd party and knowing something otherwise irrelevant is pointless, then agree.

Solitary

I too emphatically disagree, because happiness has nothing to do with knowledge, only ignorance, Not understanding or knowing what death is, or other unknowns, causes unhappiness. I have been clinically dead and I know what it is, and now am not afraid of it, because it can't be experience when dead or unconscious. Death can only be experienced, and only exists for the living. The thought of death is not logical, because it is an imaginary thing and not an objective experience.

Of course, to know a man is behind you with a shot gun is going to kill you is real and something to fear is knowledge that doesn't bring happiness, but it is still brought by ignorance and the thought of death. If you didn't have that knowledge he was behind and ready to kill you, it would not make you unhappy if you were happy. So yes, knowledge can make you unhappy if it is threatening and real. But death is not real, or something that can be experienced, except by the living.
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Hydra009

True, knowledge doesn't necessarily lead to happiness.  But knowing is the difference between being able to act on something and not.  In short, knowledge is power.  Even knowing horrible stuff is beneficial.  Take the would-be murderer.  You could know and act and maybe survive or you could just go about your day and bam, it's over.  I'd take knowledge every time.

AllPurposeAtheist

There are in fact some things we're better off not knowing such as how many grey hairs on Mitch McConnell's pubic area and if you disagree you need to seek professional help.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Mermaid

See, there it is. I don't want to know that Mitch McConnell has genitals. I really really don't.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Mermaid on September 28, 2014, 03:20:53 PM
See, there it is. I don't want to know that Mitch McConnell has genitals. I really really don't.
Just doing my job little lady to point out the world is better off not knowing certain things and how easy it is to piss off a woman calling her little lady.. :biggrin:

Mermaid

I am much more pissed off at you for pointing out that Mitch McConnell has pubic hair.

the_antithesis

Quote from: doorknob on September 28, 2014, 11:39:48 AM
with this statement:

There are some things we are better off not knowing.

Try not to think about a purple giraffe.

LoriPinkAngel

Some things just don't matter.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Mermaid on September 28, 2014, 03:58:13 PM
I am much more pissed off at you for pointing out that Mitch McConnell has pubic hair.
I shan't do that again.  Last time I pissed a woman off over Mitch's pubic hair it got ugly...

GSOgymrat

Agree.

An example, a child and her peers learning she has a low IQ score.